Sep 01, 2021, 05:12 PM
Big club and you aint in it.
Thread OP
Yippee!

Let’s have some fun, make something flyable out of your junk box!

South east PA is under a tornado watch and there is one 5mi away wandering around so we’re sequestered in the basement.

I have been kicking the idea for this thread for a while and now seems like a good time.

Rules(cause everyone loves rules) 1: Do not build a stock heli out of spares, be creative.

B: Heli can be 80-90-98% original as made from the factory, but bonus points for creativity.

#3: have fun. Heli should kinda fly but impressive failures count @ 2X points.

C: Video your creation for everyone’s enjoyment.

I figure it will take a while for this to get rolling, but it should be fun if we get enough participation.

GO!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2021, 05:41 PM
Thread OP

Great, now we’re under a flood watch!

To get the ball rolling I’ll show something I did for a similar thread on HF.

We got kinda carried away and a lot of people (including me) never got their project finished.

Here’s my entry from that thread. It is based on the CP/honey bee/Exceede50 lineage but with major improvements.

I will not be using this.

But I do plan on using its lil brother.

These were both sold as the Venom Night Ranger(brilliant marketing Venom) and I wound up with the tiny predecessor by accident, but that’s another story.

I’m thinking some combination of this frame with 130x servos and a MCPX BL board and motors… maybe.
Sep 01, 2021, 05:48 PM
Flying helis since 1978
Been working on a scale MD500D Gaui 200 fuselage that I got cheap.
I am currently trying to alter a Blade 180CFX chassis to work in the fuse.
Stretched the tailboom, raised it 20MM, and altered the tail servo mount
It is a slow process for me as I can not keep on it as much as I need to.

We will see.

rotorist.
Sep 01, 2021, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorist
Been working on a scale MD500D Gaui 200 fuselage that I got cheap.
I am currently trying to alter a Blade 180CFX chassis to work in the fuse.
Stretched the tailboom, raised it 20MM, and altered the tail servo mount
It is a slow process for me as I can not keep on it as much as I need to.

We will see.

rotorist.

I like it!

How did you raise the A gear?
Sep 01, 2021, 07:57 PM
Flying helis since 1978
Lynx used to make a metal replacement gear with a double d hole, it matched the Lynx tail shaft which is just long enough to extend the distance between the drive gear and the bevel gear to drive the torque shaft.
I only had to make two matching flats on the tailshaft to fit the drive gear.
I made two extended fiber pieces to increase the distance between the Lynx boom mount upper and lower to raise the boom where I needed it.

rotorist.
Sep 08, 2021, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorist
Lynx used to make a metal replacement gear with a double d hole, it matched the Lynx tail shaft which is just long enough to extend the distance between the drive gear and the bevel gear to drive the torque shaft.
I only had to make two matching flats on the tailshaft to fit the drive gear.
I made two extended fiber pieces to increase the distance between the Lynx boom mount upper and lower to raise the boom where I needed it.

rotorist.
Will that allow your tail to turn the correct way?

I got a tiny bit of forward movement, an MCPX BL tail motor is in place. (Notice! No MCPX BL tail motors will be harmed in this build.)

Not perfectly straight, but I can rotate the boom on the other end.

Something that delayed me a bit. I had trouble getting the 130X servos to work with the MCPX BL board. Im not sure if it was the board its self being problematic or if the servos between the two are not compatible.

Of course one good side to having this issue is that now I know all of my good spare servos work, but that is as far as I got in trying to diagnose this issue.
Sep 08, 2021, 09:32 PM
Flying helis since 1978
No, but on the MD500 helicopters the tail rotor does not always turn into the main rotor.....
Sep 09, 2021, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
I wasn’t thinking so much in scale, rather if you inverted the gear it will drive the tail in the opposite direction.
Sep 09, 2021, 11:49 AM
Flying helis since 1978
It could be done on my modded geartrain.
The bevel drive gear would have to be on the bottom of the driven gear, the ''D'' flats on the shaft would have to be machined lower.

rotorist.

Quick Reply