Jul 23, 2005, 12:41 PM
Foam rules
Thread OP

Walkera F-16

Here's at big something I'm testing from walkera. As you see my favorite subject the F-16 EDF. Needed to add elevators as they want you to use elevons, which I felt just wouldn't work well.

Spec's
37" span
36" long
24oz all up
11.1v 2000ma lipo
MTM 400F
combo fan (will tell story below)
elevator and ailerons
BP-30 amp ESC
Blue Bird 4ch Rx
generic servo's, (don't ask)
Airframe molded EPP

On the fan I was trying a BL motor setup with the unit that comes with the kit, it sucked the ring into the rotor it had so much power and broke the housing but the rotor was fine. So I down graded the motor to a Feigao, the original rotor and a GWS 75 housing and flew it. Well that melted the housing 10 minutes into the flight. Now I'm using the 400F, now with a new housing and all seems fine, we'll see. But it fly's great and vary easy to handle.

I have all of their jets so more to follow. Maybe even a vid if I can get someone to grab my camera and shoot it for me.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2005, 09:11 AM
Foam rules
Thread OP
Well I had someone lined up today to shoot vid but its gonna have to wait till I pick up a differant ESC as the 30a thats in it only has a 1.5a BEC and last night almost lost it due to the BEC over heating and shutting down. The junk Walkera servo's draw about .65 amp each. I'm using 2 for the ailerons and 2 for the elevators and under hard manuvering and a 2.6 amp draw the BEC kicked out. Lucky for me it was only minor nose damage fixed in 10 minutes with a little hot glue which works well on this material. The other lucky thing is these jets glide vary vary good so it flew itself into the ground, other lucky thing was the last control was bring things back to center.
Jul 31, 2005, 08:21 PM
Foam rules
Thread OP
Finally here's a vid, not a great one but a vid just the same.

https://static.rcgroups.net/gallery/...14351Movie.wmv
Jul 31, 2005, 09:01 PM
You say Walkera has other models for the future? What kinds are you testing? and when will they be reveiled upon the world? That video was very nice by the way, the f-16 looks like a little screamer. Hope to see more soon!
Jul 31, 2005, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatovalguy
Well I had someone lined up today to shoot vid but its gonna have to wait till I pick up a differant ESC as the 30a thats in it only has a 1.5a BEC and last night almost lost it due to the BEC over heating and shutting down. The junk Walkera servo's draw about .65 amp each. I'm using 2 for the ailerons and 2 for the elevators and under hard manuvering and a 2.6 amp draw the BEC kicked out. Lucky for me it was only minor nose damage fixed in 10 minutes with a little hot glue which works well on this material. The other lucky thing is these jets glide vary vary good so it flew itself into the ground, other lucky thing was the last control was bring things back to center.
Get a parkbec and you won't have this problem ever again.
Jul 31, 2005, 09:14 PM
Foam rules
Thread OP
Quote:
Get a parkbec and you won't have this problem ever again.
Way ahead of you, thats what I did.

Crash, They have a bunch, just testing to see if they are worth it and how much modding needs to be done.
Jul 31, 2005, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatovalguy
Way ahead of you, thats what I did.

Crash, They have a bunch, just testing to see if they are worth it and how much modding needs to be done.
This one looks interesting. So what is your conclusion? Worth it? What modding needed?

I am a bit confused about your description of the stock motor. I don't see how a motor can cause melting of house unless the rotor is rubbing.

Have you also tested their other models? F-117, B2, Su27, F22, ...etc?
Aug 02, 2005, 03:02 AM
Hi,
I've one of this plane too.. What sort of mod you did? Elevator, is it a full moving tail
or the one inch ones.... please give more detail. What sort of motor and how many RPM did you use?

Thanks,
Erunway
Aug 02, 2005, 09:51 PM
Foam rules
Thread OP
The elevators are about 1 1/4" wide with a servo on each. I just cut a V on the underside for the hinge. The motor is a MTM 400F on 3 cell 2000ma pack. I sucked the outer housing in on a bigger motor I first wanted to use and distroyed it but the rotor was ok so I took an old GWS 75 housing and stuck the Walkera rotor in it which provided way more thrust than the GWS rotor and will also handle the rpm better. This combo also only draws 14.8 amps. Its a great flier, slowed down it acts like a sport plane. The landing in the vid was down wind.

I'm putting together the SU-27 right now on twin fans. Should be really fun.
Aug 02, 2005, 09:57 PM
Foam rules
Thread OP
http://www.walkera.com/home_e/glidere.jsp

The link to thier other jets
Aug 02, 2005, 10:32 PM
Awesome video. That thing hand launches quite well for an EDF (maybe its just you). It is one smokin' little bird.
Aug 02, 2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Where can I get the MTM motor?

Erunway
Aug 05, 2005, 04:39 AM
One more thing.. can we use a smaller fan like the wattage?
I've got the Align bl motor with 3200kv. do you think it'll do good in the supplied fan?
Is there other mods that's necessary i.e. option to take fan and motor exchange?

Erunway
Aug 05, 2005, 04:11 PM
Foam rules
Thread OP
Don't know about the motor, guess it needs a test.
Aug 06, 2005, 02:24 PM
Just tried the motor with the fan... it drew about 30amps...!
I guess I won't be using this motor...

Could you show more pics of how you put the plane together..

Thanks,

Erunway

Quick Reply