Sep 24, 2021, 06:23 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
While we're talking fishing, I took a short break from working on the Fokker to take the mutt out and caught 2 snook in less than 15 minutes. Too small to keep, but fun to catch.
Already trimmed the formers and relocated the cross bracing to lower the engine base another 1/16. Now cutting new cylinder disks.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2021, 07:36 PM
Big gov never Works
I miss doing that! Always kept a two piece spinner behind the seat of the truck, with a mullet pattern spook tied on. You just never knew when the opportunity would arise. Could be anything from a crevale to a 7' ribbon fish(ugly mutha).
Sep 24, 2021, 08:07 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Nice thing is it's 50' from my back door. Walk out, fling a few casts then duck back in the house before getting too hot. Now that the water is starting to cool off a bit the fishing will start coming to life. The summer mullet are getting fat and the predators are starting to show up now. The other day I watched a pod of dolphins herding mullet up the creek along my property. A few will keep the school trapped in the creek and one at a time they take turns going up there and snagging dinner.
The manatees will be back soon too, So cool to see one glide past the dock, they are huge!

Working on dummy engine now. Hope to have something I can take pics of soon.
Sep 25, 2021, 04:02 AM
Big gov never Works
Hudgins Fish Co had 3 boats. Two net boats, one a 24' with the 200 Johnson in the middle of the boat. The other 19' 100 offcenter stern. The third a 17' skiff 85hp. It was easy to scrape the skiff bottom. Just pull it out, repaint anti-foul. But the two others required me to get under the boats at low tide.
While scraping, sheepsheads would be in abundance. It was like a dinner bell. And I would get the feeling I was being watched. I would turn around to see baby manatees watching me. The mother not far away. They have rough noses! One of the Co owners told me they wait at the the spillways for the canal lettuce to fall over(with the winter west winds). So, I collected a few onion bags full and tied them to my tool belt.
The babies were very friendly, took a while before the adults would eat from my hand. Your right, the males are huge! Unfortunately, I never saw an adult without prop scars. Had to call FNR a few times to come and give aid to a few. The intracoastal had a speed limit of 10mph between Nov.1st and April 30th between the Singer Is. bridge and PPB(20mph elsewhere). But, the rich snowbirds on Singer Island figured the law was not made for them and their 40+ft Hatteras. I applauded the Marine Patrol when they confiscated an offenders boat.

The Cows are generally very gentle, but I've seen them get violent defending the calfs. They got used to me under the boats(weekly basis), with my breathing tube going up the side of the boat. And my onion bags full of canal lettuce.
Thanx for always renewing my Fla past. I lived the life only a few lucky people have the opportunity to do. And in my two fav subjects, fishing and models. Need to build a Indian River "flattie" in 2"scale. For old time sake.

Back to the DVII!

Fuzz
Sep 25, 2021, 06:47 AM
Radio failure, my arse!
Great tales Fuzz. I was chuckling inward about cleaning the hull bottoms. The SeaRay Amberjack that I had for charter fishing on Lake Ontario would always start the season clean at launch. By the time mid July rolled around and the lake temps warmed, so would the algae that fouled the bottom of the boat, even with anti fouling paint on. The water was usually too cold to jump in and clean, would normally have to wait until August for the water to warm up enough to go over the side in "clean water" to scrub the bottom. When I say clean water, I mean water out about a mile or two offshore. Water near shore wasn't always of good quality to be swimming in......
Cleaning normally rendered about 3-4 knots of extra speed.

Glenn, I had considered doing exactly what you did to install engine detail, but decided to simply give the impression of an engine. Used a strip of 1/64" ply with 1/32" squares glued on to represent the valve covers. That strip was in turn glued to the top of the fuselage. An exhaust stack was carved out and laid down beside the faux engine, everything was painted black and I called it a day.
Sep 25, 2021, 08:13 AM
Or current resident
Thread OP
I like to call it living the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle like he popularized in his songs.
I had a small jon boat and was drift fishing out in the bay. I laid on my back on the seat crossways in the boat and was dipping the back of my head in the water to cool off. My then long hair (hey, I remember having hair lol) was in the water.
A manatee was passing by behind me and must have thought my hair was something to eat. It silently glided up and grabbed my hair and gave it a tug. Startled the he!! out of me! Then it kind of hung around like it was curious and I scratched it's nose and rubbed it's head. It would roll over and let me scratch its belly then it glided away.

I was going to take the easy way out on the dummy engine and do what you did, but somehow I always seem to avoid easy....
I got a good pattern drawn up of the exhaust manifold last night. Getting the spacing just right was challenging because the engine will just fit in the 55mm long opening. Not sure yet how I will make the manifold assembly. Need to avoid cross grain because the manifold will be subjected to fat fingers while pulling the tray out so it will have to be sturdy. Might have to make it out of separate bits with pin in hole joints and possibly drilled with thin carbon rods going through the stub pipes from the cylinder to collector pipe.
Sep 26, 2021, 07:02 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Cut the manifold out of 1/8 sheet with 9mm spacing between cylinder centers. And it didn't work out. The manifold is too long and the end will hit the cabane strut.
Had to make a trip to the LHS for a smaller brass tube to cut smaller cylinder disks. Cut a new manifold with 8mm spacing. Bored the holes in the disks and manifold with a ball end diamond burr. The stubs are bits of toothpick. Put it all together and now everything lines up like it should. Still a lot more work to do, but at least it is starting to resemble an engine.
Sep 26, 2021, 11:34 PM
Looks good. Those bizarre looking exhaust manifolds really make the model. Brings back memories of the Rumpler.
Sep 27, 2021, 05:37 AM
Or current resident
Thread OP
That's one manifold that I would break off for sure. Either through handling or a nose-over landing.
It takes a good grip on the fuselage to pull the tray out, and that one just looks like it would be in the way.
Sep 27, 2021, 08:17 AM
Big gov never Works
That looks good, Glenn. I think engines and exhausts can be one of the more pleasurable parts of the model. Amazing what a little imagination can do.

Fuzz
Sep 27, 2021, 09:29 AM
Or current resident
Thread OP
I agree. Engines, guns and pilots are necessary scale details that I don't mind spending time on. It's the covering and painting I don't like. LOL!
Guns on this one will be made of printed paper like I did on the N28. Lightweight and look convincing enough.

Pilot will be another 3D printed dude, going to go from 10% to no infill this time to make it a tiny bit lighter. This 3D printing thing is a hobby in itself. I tried printing an engine, but it didn't look too good and weighed a ton. Instead of spending a lot of time on it I decided to just make it out of balsa, and ended up spending a lot of time on it. Oh well...
Sep 28, 2021, 06:31 AM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Worked on the intake manifolds last night. Since they are so small and would be delicate , 2 layers of 1/16 were laminated together with cross grain to give then some strength. Parts cut out and shaping done with a diamond burr in the dremel. Still more work to do, but they are getting close.
Sep 28, 2021, 08:00 AM
Cloudrider
You could do a wax mold of that Glenn and make an Epoxy/Filler version for durability

Paul UK.
Sep 28, 2021, 08:27 AM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Good idea that could have many uses. Never thought of using wax, that would be pretty easy and just peel it off the finished part. I'll keep that in mind for the next time because these are almost done now.
Sep 28, 2021, 07:49 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Ok Fokker fans, here's as far as I'm going on the engine. 24 tiny parts later. Looks ok and will look better once sealed, sanded and painted.
Next up, the printed paper guns.

Quick Reply