Avios (PNF) KingTwin 1700 Sports/Scale Executive Turboprop Airplane

The KingTwin 1700 is packed full of cool features including LED lights, retracts, and split flaps. The powertrain of 2 x Aerostar 3748-820KV brushless outrunners with Aerostar 40A ESCs was chosen by the Avios team after careful testing. This combination of motors, ESCs, contra-rotating props, and a 4S LiPo battery proved to be the optimum setup for power and duration.

Splash

Avios (PNF) KingTwin 1700

The KingTwin 1700 has the ability to operate happily off of smooth, short-grass fields, and of course hard runway surfaces. The split flaps enable scale take-offs and landings, and the daylight visible LED lights add that touch of realism.

For transportation, the outer wing panels feature a unique latching system that allows for quick and easy assembly and removal. This system also includes a quick connect/disconnect plug and socket for the servos and LED lights. Throughout, the KingTwin 1700 uses the very popular and reliable Turnigy HXT900 servos - this is a first for an Avios model. Due to the low parts count of the tough EPO airframe, and being PNF, the KingTwin 1700 is very quick and straightforward to put together, most of it has been pre-assembled at the factory.

The Avios KingTwin 1700 is fantastic to fly and looks brilliant in the air. It has excellent low-speed handling, and at speed, it really grooves and locks in. It's a real pleasure to fly. This impressive twin-engined model is a worthwhile addition to any modeler's hangar for its looks, ease of assembly, and excellent flight characteristics.

Features:

• A great looking sport/scale model of a typical twin-engined turboprop
  • Powertrain is optimized for performance and duration
  • Retractable landing gear, split flaps, and working, daylight visible LED lights
  • Unique detachable wingtips for easy transportation
  • Low parts count for easy, quick assembly of the EPO airframe
  • Plug N Fly - motors, ESCs, HXT900 servos, and LED lights are pre-installed at the factory
  • Excellent flying characteristics, especially at low speeds

Specs:

• Type: Avios (PNF) KingTwin 1700 Sports/Scale Executive Turboprop Airplane
  • Wingspan: 1700mm
  • Length: 1196mm
  • Flying Weight: 2985g (inc battery)
  • Motor: 2 x Aerostar 3748-820KV brushless outrunner
  • ESC: 2 x Aerostar 40A brushless
  • Servos: 7 x Turnigy HXT900
  • Propellers: 1 x 3 blade L/H rotation, 1 x 3 blade R/H rotation
  • Landing Gear: 3 x Servoless retractable

Avios (PNF) KingTwin 1700 Sports/Scale Executive Turboprop Airplane (1700mm) - Flight Review (19 min 42 sec)

Learn More

Head over to HobbyKing for pricing and info!

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Aug 24, 2021 at 02:33 PM..
Aug 24, 2021, 03:22 PM
At $399, the quality has to be there. I have not good experiences with several HK products and I personally am reluctant to shell out $400 for anything without metal gear servos all around.
Aug 24, 2021, 04:26 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by thouser
At $399, the quality has to be there. I have not good experiences with several HK products and I personally am reluctant to shell out $400 for anything without metal gear servos all around.
Every Avios product I've had has been fantastic. The Yak-52, the BF-109, the Albatross, the C-130 and I threw my lot in on this one too.

It's advertised as having HXT900s all-around and HXT900s are excellent servos even if they aren't metal-gear. I've used them in everything from slow-flyers to 3D aerobatic planes and never had a servo failure with one. I really don't think the lack of metal gear servos is a reason to hold back.
Last edited by Rampage; Aug 24, 2021 at 08:28 PM.
Aug 24, 2021, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thouser
I'm in on this one. I've generally had very good luck with Avios planes. My disappointment in this plane at this price point is that the landing gear is not sprung (I fly from grass) and there are no nose gear doors.

However, there are already videos of it flying from grass, and I trust Stuart to have tested the gear thoroughly.

So, I've ordered my plane and the vinyl to wrap it as a Navy T-44A.

JB
Aug 24, 2021, 08:28 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan
I'm in on this one. I've generally had very good luck with Avios planes. My disappointment in this plane at this price point is that the landing gear is not sprung (I fly from grass) and there are no nose gear doors.

However, there are already videos of it flying from grass, and I trust Stuart to have tested the gear thoroughly.

So, I've ordered my plane and the vinyl to wrap it as a Navy T-44A.

JB
I can't wait to see yours wrapped. I'm still flying my SkyMule which 'borrowed' the scheme you wrapped yours in.
Aug 25, 2021, 02:42 AM
A great plane, but from my experience, the components used by HK/AVIOS are of very poor quality (motors, servos, retractable UC, etc... ). To make it a sweet and reliable plane you will end up having to replace many components that will fail (and maybe destroy the plane if you are unlucky, as it happened to me !).
Aug 26, 2021, 02:52 AM
Fly Eat Sleep Repeat
Avios KingTwin Turboprop Executive Airplane 1700mm BIG Scale PNF Maiden flight (27 min 6 sec)
Aug 26, 2021, 06:58 AM
Hittin Gaps With D Gains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Every Avios product I've had has been fantastic. The Yak-52, the BF-109, the Albatross, the C-130 and I threw my lot in on this one too.

It's advertised as having HXT900s all-around and HXT900s are excellent servos even if they aren't metal-gear. I've used them in everything from slow-flyers to 3D aerobatic planes and never had a servo failure with one. I really don't think the lack of metal gear servos is a reason to hold back.
That's interesting and I guess everyone's mileage may vary, but I've had 4 of those servos fail or strip their gears causing crashes, which makes this model a no go for me at that price point.
Aug 26, 2021, 07:03 AM
$399 is over priced for a foamie. But they are all getting that way. this one looks great and i have enjoyed my albatross but the flap servos were dead out of the box. Metal gears are overkill for a foamie but the nylon gears should be of high quality material.
Aug 26, 2021, 04:35 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
I love it! Huge fan of the King Air 90.
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Aug 26, 2021, 04:56 PM
When I saw the price, my first thought was it is too much. However after considering what you are getting, it is on par with other foam aircraft. Yes it says free shipping but we all know that is built into the price.
Aug 26, 2021, 05:27 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman 220
When I saw the price, my first thought was it is too much. However after considering what you are getting, it is on par with other foam aircraft. Yes it says free shipping but we all know that is built into the price.
Yeah, when I first saw $400 I was a bit taken aback too.

But then you start looking at other 'large' foamy twins. Like the Fliteline OV-10 which is $25 more expensive and is smaller. Or the P-38 and Tigercat which are $50/$55 more expensive respectively. The EC-1500 is the same price and lacks retracts.

So for what it is, with today's pricing, it's actually a pretty good deal. Cheap foamies are a thing of the past.
Aug 26, 2021, 06:23 PM
Indeed, its not just the increase cost of shipping, it's also the increased cost in materials, labor and the list goes on and on...

$399 yeah for sure its on the pricey side, but I like it and as the above poster said, get used to it, the days of cheap foamies is long gone. As long as you guys are buying at these prices there is no pressure on NK or anyone else for that matter to reduce cost, even if they could. Look at HH, prices increases right across the board.
Aug 26, 2021, 09:37 PM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX

Just ordered parts...

I got all the parts for $191 and will use my own electronics /motor/pushrods/retracts etc. which I have laying around. One bag of small parts comes from China so that had a shipping charge of $8.

This will look good sitting next to my 63" Aerosky Beech Duke

John

Quick Reply