Sep 24, 2021, 10:21 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxotnik
Okay, here's the dorkcam video of my KT, running with the new Freewing Me-262 nose wheel. Unfortunately, I had my dorkcam set a bit too high, and it didn't catch much of the KT actually running on the ground, but trust me, it did run straight. Also, the damn camera kept cutting off; so, I didn't catch much of any of the flight. Didn't even catch any of the landings. But, again, trust me. They were friggin' awesome. Like Gold Medal Awesome, with ruffles and flourishes... LOL

https://youtu.be/ViZrN8brqAE

As I said in my previous post, the right motor in my KT threw four magnets. So, I'll have to pull that motor and reattach the magnets, or buy a new motor (if that's possible). I gotta be honest. I'm really baffled that four magnets came loose within that motor. The landings were good, and no where near bad enough to jar magnets loose.
Looks good on grass. The real test for me is on asphalt - which is what we fly from.

I am sorry to hear about the magnets on the motor. That happened to my Duke 60 and it had a crash since one motor quit on me an I had no idea what was happening. You can fix the magnets with some epoxy - you know how to fix them?
Last edited by captain MoMo; Sep 25, 2021 at 01:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2021, 12:44 AM
Work hard, play hard
Yeah, Cap’n, I know how to open up the motor and repair magnets. Haven’t pulled an outrunner apart in a couple years, but i can still ride that bike. :-)

Honestly, as stable as the KT was with the stiff Me-262 nose gear, it’ll be as good on asphalt as any other scale trike plane, I’m sure. I have flown off of a hard runway enough to know that. I’ve even flown my Me-262 on hard runways a few times with no issues. Same with my FlightLine P-38. I think that both nose gear struts/wheels will work well in the KT.

I did have a short offline conversation with Stuart, a little while ago, and he assays that they’re still working on a fix for the gear. Hopefully, we’ll hear about it soon.
Sep 25, 2021, 01:38 AM
Old enough to know better.....
Quote:
Yeah, Capín, I know how to open up the motor and repair magnets. Havenít pulled an outrunner apart in a couple years, but i can still ride that bike. :-)

Honestly, as stable as the KT was with the stiff Me-262 nose gear, itíll be as good on asphalt as any other scale trike plane, Iím sure. I have flown off of a hard runway enough to know that. Iíve even flown my Me-262 on hard runways a few times with no issues. Same with my FlightLine P-38. I think that both nose gear struts/wheels will work well in the KT.

I did have a short offline conversation with Stuart, a little while ago, and he assays that theyíre still working on a fix for the gear. Hopefully, weíll hear about it soon.

Good to hear that they are working on a fix for the undercarriage, bit concerned about the motors though. That's a few different people reporting issue with them. Having not had the chance to fly the model yet, I'm beginning to wonder if I've just bought a very expensive shelf queen
Sep 25, 2021, 05:48 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
I had a magnet break loose in my KT right motor. It came loose after the 5th flight. It didn't do any damage to the motor . Glued it back in and have had about ten flights since with no more issues. Pity about the lack of quality control on this plane.
Sep 25, 2021, 08:12 AM
Work hard, play hard
@Craig, as I've said before, the KT flies wonderfully, once you get it off the ground. Once the NG gets fixed, I think that she'll be an awesome aircraft.

@huntingfield, I do plan to pull the bell off of the motor and re-glue the magnets back on, if I can (and I don't really expect an issue). This is the first motor that I've ever had that has thrown a magnet. I thought it was a fluke or a one-off, but it's sounding like other motors are throwing magnets, too.
Sep 25, 2021, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRea
Looks like itís back in stock, and I was able to order it from the US warehouse with free shipping! Now I get to track itís progress all the way across the country from Oregon for delivery Monday.
Shipped on Tuesday.
Made it across the county in 4 days. Averaging ≈10 hours and 700 miles per day). Even with lots of construction along I-80 and I-90!
Now it sitting in a Fed Ex station 10 miles from my house because Ground doesnít deliver on Saturdays!
Iím tempted to go there and knock on the door!
Sep 25, 2021, 01:02 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRea
Shipped on Tuesday.
Made it across the county in 4 days. Averaging ≈10 hours and 700 miles per day). Even with lots of construction along I-80 and I-90!
Now it sitting in a Fed Ex station 10 miles from my house because Ground doesnít deliver on Saturdays!
Iím tempted to go there and knock on the door!
Whatís the rush?
Sep 25, 2021, 05:15 PM
Man, I wish I could find an Avios Albatross. It would go great in the hangar next to this King Twin... same batteries, props, etc. I bought 3 sets of spare props so I don't have to worry about that down the road.

BUT, I an thinking about 3d printing some new spinners to work with some master aircrew props I have. Why? Because I am very, very sick with rc tinker disease.

Edit: I did order a set of these struts-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Plane-10...-127632-2357-0

I ordered the 100mm total length (this seller includes the wheel in the length). After ordering, the seller contacted me to ask what the weight of the airplane was in order to put the proper spring in the strut. Sounds good?!? We will see when I receive... these are the shortest spring struts I have found that might work on the mains.
Last edited by Reehoe; Sep 25, 2021 at 05:36 PM.
Sep 25, 2021, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
Whatís the rush?
Iíd have the weekend to build it and maybe maiden!
Now Iíll have to wait until next weekend.
Itís too dark to fly when I get out of work.
Itís our clubís fall picnic and fun fly next Saturday, so Iíll have lots of witnesses/help!
Sep 26, 2021, 04:32 PM
The KingTwin showed up yesterday. I Worked on it yesterday and had it ready to fly for today. It is a good looking plane when its all together but it's just a bit shy of being a really great airframe. It showed up with dents in the airframe as one might expect but there were a few that seemed excessive including a huge thumb print in the leading edge of the wing. As noted by others the nose gear has issues. It has many things working against it...at least mine does. There is slop in the trunion, the strut is too flimsy, the axle is too small for the wheel hole thus adds to the slop, the pushrod is flimsy, and there is also slop where the servo connects to the control control horn and then where that connects to the steering arm .... add all this together and its even hard to steer on a paved runway.

Mine didn't come with any type of instruction manual.

I also ran into a few other issues...

*There was water in one of my sealed wing panel bags?? There was no water anywhere else in the box or internal parts bags. This resulted in rusted screws on the connector.
*One wing panel has a connector that doesn't line up well. It had to be forced on. I have adjusted it slightly and even though its still tight it does go on better now.
*With both of my wing panels plugged in and the wing tip lights actually working , neither of the aileron servos worked. I pulled the connector out of the center section and wing panel to test it. When i did this it worked ... so the connector wasn't pushing in enough to make proper contact. I eventually put plastic washers behind the panel connector to push it out further for better contact, this worked.
*Even before I shimmed my connector my wing panels did not snap into place. I had to trim both tabs for proper fit.
*The spinners do not run true.

One small note ... I wish there was more room in the battery compartment.

I had only one flight today. It was very windy with high gusts. The plane flew really well but I didn't want to risk it on another flight...and ground handling on lading was less than ideal.
Last edited by kevin; Sep 26, 2021 at 04:57 PM.
Sep 26, 2021, 04:41 PM
Work hard, play hard
On one of my videos on my YT page (Flight 3 of my KT), the nose gear had buckled during the takeoff run, and I uttered a pretty foul curse at the nose gear. Some penishead commented that if I landed the plane correctly there wouldn’t be any problems with the nose gear. Stuff like that usually doesn’t bother me, but that one did. After I set him straight, the dude deleted his comment. I really despise guys like that, who seem to gain self worth by dropping scat all other place, with nothing useful to add.
Sep 26, 2021, 04:44 PM
Work hard, play hard
Speaking of landing properly…
Who was it that had commented that it’s hard to raise the nose into a good landing flare? I’m noticing the same thing. Even using prop wash right at touchdown, I can’t get the nose to come up much. It comes up enough to allow the Mains to touch first, but just barely.
Sep 26, 2021, 04:49 PM
I have been a review author for RCG for 20 years. I cant recall any trike geared airframes that were as difficult as this. Don't get me wrong, I was able to take off and taxi back, but it was way less than ideal. I can only imagine what it would be like on a grass field.

I didn't notice having any problems getting the nose up on touchdown. I did land without flap today because of the wind ... I am also balanced at the rear end of the cg.

Quote:
On one of my videos on my YT page (Flight 3 of my KT), the nose gear had buckled during the takeoff run, and I uttered a pretty foul curse at the nose gear. Some penishead commented that if I landed the plane correctly there wouldn’t be any problems with the nose gear. Stuff like that usually doesn’t bother me, but that one did. After I set him straight, the dude deleted his comment. I really despise guys like that, who seem to gain self worth by dropping scat all other place, with nothing useful to add.
Sep 26, 2021, 06:23 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
I have been a review author for RCG for 20 years. I cant recall any trike geared airframes that were as difficult as this. Don't get me wrong, I was able to take off and taxi back, but it was way less than ideal. I can only imagine what it would be like on a grass field.

I didn't notice having any problems getting the nose up on touchdown. I did land without flap today because of the wind ... I am also balanced at the rear end of the cg.
I think it was me who mentioned about inability to flare. It needs more elevator IMO.

What really bothers me to the core is the fact that multiple people have “reviewed” this plane and NOT one mentions anything about the steering issue. This speaks volumes. By the way, mine also had water inside the wing tubes - actually poured out when I opened the wing tip bags.
Sep 26, 2021, 07:31 PM
Agree to a point. I have received a few preproduction samples before for review. Sometimes the production facility will change things without the knowledge of the distributor. It could be the case here but we wont know until those reviewers show their preproduction sample steering control assemblies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
I think it was me who mentioned about inability to flare. It needs more elevator IMO.

What really bothers me to the core is the fact that multiple people have “reviewed” this plane and NOT one mentions anything about the steering issue. This speaks volumes. By the way, mine also had water inside the wing tubes - actually poured out when I opened the wing tip bags.
Last edited by kevin; Sep 26, 2021 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply