Jul 21, 2005, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Yardbird II Wing Build

I completed a 126" RES designed and mostly assembled by Jack Womack this spring. I was able to take Third Place at the Mid South with it... It flys great!

The thread on this build was:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334018

This wing was to have been the Houston Hawk, but the available fuse was a plug in, and this wing is a bolt on. It sat in Jack's garage unfinished and un sanded for a year or so, till he decided to sell it with an Art Hobby High Aspect fuse. I was ready for another build, so I bought it.

Jack has now re-drawn the wing for better torsion strength, due to a bit of flutter on hard launches. The original wing incorporates .030 and .060 CF sparcaps tapering all the way out. The new wing plans will be sent to Laser Arts for laser cut ribs and webs availability and Jack will sell the plans. I haven't seen them yet.

I used a V-Tail, but Jack has included stab ribs with the set. I suppose any light pod/boom fuse will work. This is a very nice wing with a 3014 airfoil that will ride light lift but handle a very hard launch a la AVA, etc.... Mine weighs about 43 oz. giving it a wingloading of about 5.9 oz/square ft.

Jack will chime in with more details, but this short kit will be a good addition to anyone's hanger for a nice flying/competitive RES ship.

More on the Yardbird II will come soon....

AJ
Last edited by solo6796; Dec 28, 2005 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Category
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2005, 06:49 AM
Thread OP
Here's a shot of the original.

AJ
Aug 03, 2005, 08:10 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Well,

To qualify what's being put on here, we'll be building a couple of these before offering plans outside the club (Houston Hawks). Probably not more than 2 months, though... Plan sets, if offered, will be $25- plus shipping. Laserartco will have short kits... again... if offered.

I was hit by a computer virus about the time I was getting through with the plans. What a bummer... Not to fear... I have them on plastic, so they'll be back on my PC as soon as I get time to reload my CAD program. What a rip. I would really like to break the fingers of those responsible for viruses... I would be completely done and moving ahead on this if not for 3 nights of recovering everything.

Jack Womack
Aug 03, 2005, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
My building board is MT... I'll be ready when you are.

AJ
Aug 15, 2005, 08:43 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Rib sets will be available soon from Laserarts. Plans will be available in about 2 weeks.

Jack Womack
Aug 24, 2005, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Materials list?

1/2" spar in the middle? Or was it 3/8?
Aug 24, 2005, 10:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
In Nashville Sunday AM thru Wednesday PM. In Ft Worth Thursday and Friday. Will try to get some plan revision done and copies done this weekend.

Jack
Oct 13, 2005, 06:18 PM
Any word on these plans?
Oct 13, 2005, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
I pushed the envelope with the Yardbird at the TNT contest in Dallas last weekend. The flutter shook off the tip, but I landed the plane after the tip had already hit the ground, and got a 92 point landing.

I flew miserably for the rest of the contest....

Jack says,

"Well, life is finally returning to some sort of
normal. I have ordered the ribs from Laset Arts,
(finally), and they should be here by the 22nd of
October... I hope. I have received money from 4 of you
and the others will beed to pony up at that time. I am
revising the plans one more time - just adding text -
and I'll have them ready by then.

Sorry this has dragged out so long, but a couple of
hurricanes, a wedding, a wreck, a vehicle burglary,
job interviews, and a trip to Washington D.C. have
gotten in the way. That's mostly behind me and I came
out of all of it with a smile and still have my sense
of humor, though I think the high winds may have
damaged the thermal sensors built into my leg hairs...
bummer...

Jack Womack"

These are still "beta" wings, But I want to try one. If I can get a launch like the Houston Hawk, It'll Kick B***!

AJ
Oct 13, 2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks AJ and Jack. Looks like I got a winter project.
Nov 04, 2005, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
Bump...

People are talking about the Yardbird in another thread...
Nov 05, 2005, 04:11 PM

Yardbird II

Does anyone know if plans and short kits are availabe - if so - where?

Ken
Nov 06, 2005, 08:34 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Since I posted from Nashville, I've been through 2 hurricanes,a wedding, a car wreck, a vehicle burglary, and now I'm into a probable promotion and move. I am attempting to get this going this week. It'll be the first time I've been through something like this without buildiing the first one. I'm going to have to depend on some of the Houston Hawks for that. What else can happen? Well, my check got lost to Laser Arts and his laser is now temporarily out of service.

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

I feel better... how 'bout you?

Jack Womack
Nov 06, 2005, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
"It'll be the first time I've been through something like this without buildiing the first one. I'm going to have to depend on some of the Houston Hawks for that.

Jack Womack"

Don't worry man, we got yer back...

AJ
Nov 10, 2005, 12:05 AM

Fuselage options

I haven't seen the plans yet but have been considering two fuselage possibilities for the YardBird II.

The Bubble Dancer kevlar pod and v-mount (Bud Elder), carbon boom (tailboom.com) is one possibility. The pros are: light weight (4 oz), strength and durablilty, good tail moment, easy to assemble. The only con worth mentioning is the wing saddle length allows for a 10.5" cord whereas the YB II cord is about 9" (I think). JW suggests making a fairing. The BD fuse would certainly be the light weight choice.

The new Mantis pod and boom (Terry Luckenbach) and stab v-mount (Bud Elder) is the other possibility. The pros are: strength and durability, robustness, better tail moment for a 127" wingspan, the pylon will fit the S3014 airfoil just fine, slip on nosecone, easy to assemble. The only con worth mentioning is the weight. Mine (pod and boom) weighs 9 oz. Personally I would not worry about a 9 oz fuse. My Houston Hawk #5 fuse weight 9.5 oz and its auw was 62 oz (btw it won RES at TNT this year). A YardBird II built using a Luckenbach pod and boom, JW's Yardbird II wing, full flying stab with Bud Elder v-mount, and top-boom mounted fin and rudder, the auw could be in the mid-50 oz range.

There have been a couple of other fuselage options mentioned in the club, with the Art Hobby 3-meter pod and boom mentioned the most (Alan uses one on the original YB).

These are just my thoughts......I'm not an engineer or designer. Jack Womack designed the wing and stab sizes with the proper moments to build the plane. The fuselage choice is the builder's choice.

Tommy L

Quick Reply