View Poll Results: Would you buy a second Mini Funtana if it breaks?
Yes. I use it for 3D flying and would replace it. 11 12.36%
Yes. I use it for pattern / sport flying and would replace it. 29 32.58%
Yes. It’s a good all around plane. 17 19.10%
No. It’s a bad choice for 3D. 23 25.84%
No. It’s a bad choice for a pattern / sport. 4 4.49%
No. It’s a poor plane. 10 11.24%
I didn’t wait for it to break, I moved my parts to a different plane. 10 11.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Jul 21, 2005, 05:11 PM
Thread OP

Mini Funtana owners, would you buy a second one if / when it breaks?

So what’s the bottom line on the MF?
I’ve always thought the ultimate test of a good airplane is, I’d replace it in a heartbeat if it crashed.

I only have a couple test flights on my MF, so I’ll vote after a few more flights.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2005, 06:26 PM
I'll let u know how mine goes when i've built it(only got it last week!!) but,going by the threads on the MF,it looks like i'am going to need more than my current set up-Axi 2208/34 -TP 860 3S..
Jul 21, 2005, 09:06 PM
Texas Ranger
Already canabalized it for parts for a different plane.
Jul 22, 2005, 08:25 AM
Pro Bro #1008
i cracked mine up a bit setting down in long grass..but will fly again..when it dies, it is trash and i would not even think about getting another...

next 3D built-up will be a EF YAK, or 3D buddy, or a lil banshee...

if i wanted to do IMAC, then the MF is ok..but who does IMAC with a 30" plane..? total waste of money and effort for me...but mine came with TOP notch electronics, so i came out ahead
Jul 22, 2005, 08:50 AM
I agree with Birdie...

It's been fun. I fly out of grass, so it's rough on the gear...bring it in hot and bend the gear rolling in the grass, or bring it slow and pancake it on the gear.

I'll keep flying as long as it's in one peice. But when it dies, it's dead. There are too many better planes for a motor/electronics setup this size.
Jul 22, 2005, 09:06 AM
Yes, and I already have my second one .
Only as a result of my own mistake.

I cant understand how so many of you find it to be a "bad" plane.

It's been a real jewel for me.
Jul 22, 2005, 09:14 AM
Planes from 1oz to 55lb's
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlinVR
Yes, and I already have my second one .
Only as a result of my own mistake.

I cant understand how so many of you find it to be a "bad" plane.

It's been a real jewel for me.
I agree, I love mine.
My dad bought one for himself after seeing mine fly.
now I am looking forward to getting the Mini Edge.
Jul 22, 2005, 01:23 PM
hullabaloo caneck caneck!!!
After swearing that I would never buy another, I did anyway.

Back in June, my MF clipped a power-line at my parent's ranch during a landing approach. It was a spectacular crash resulting in too much carnage to justify a rebuild. I'm sure everyone who witnessed must have thought I was on 'happy' pills due to my overwhelming glee in this seemly tragic event.

Much to my chagrin, I caved and bought another one last week. I realized that I did enjoy flying it and there was definitely avoid that need to be filled. Plus, buying it was quick and easy like lemon-squeezie thanks to my LHS.

Unlike my first, I decided to keep it light and, as such, have been tinkering with various razor motors and gear/prop/battery combos. This and the addition of some spoileron-mix has really changed my opinion about this plane. While it is still no a 3d-monster by any means, it is possible to coax a little 3d fun out of it. However, I do have to admit that I miss my old-power setup (PJS 1200 cranking 56oz ST), even though it was a portly fellow of 27-28oz AUW.

(BTW, I noticed that Eflite has reinforced the landing gear plate in this new batch of MFs. Hopefully it will hold together a little better than before.)
Jul 22, 2005, 01:34 PM
AggieFlyer, can you post a pic or two of how E-flite reinforced the landing gear plate? Mebbe here or over in the build thread. Would make a good starting point for retrofitting the existing MF's already out there.
Jul 22, 2005, 01:45 PM
AA6JB
Hey Aggieflyer, would you mind also elaborating on the spoileron mix you are using? I, like many others, really labor with my landings and wonder if such a mix would help. thanks!
Jul 22, 2005, 02:36 PM
I love my MF, it's a second one. The first one crashed on maiden when the new Berg6 took a nap at take off, didn't have a chance to actually fly her and it's total in a few seconds. I had 20+ flights on the second one, some how I don't have the landing gear issue since I replaced the mounting area with a light ply board for the bottom section, most of my landings are not hot at all, I use 15% flap and 10% up elevator mixed for the landing mode, she can kind of float in like the foamy.

Mine has pretty bad wing rocks at harrier position until I mixed with 15% spoileron, some how I can not overcome the crash experience in this model that I can't hover her low, always at 2 mistake high.
Jul 22, 2005, 03:02 PM
Flyer of R/C Planes
I'd get the Edge 540.
Jul 22, 2005, 03:24 PM
hullabaloo caneck caneck!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzby
AggieFlyer, can you post a pic or two of how E-flite reinforced the landing gear plate? Mebbe here or over in the build thread. Would make a good starting point for retrofitting the existing MF's already out there.
Looks like they expoxied two pieces of spruce on top of the plate. It appears to by 1/4"x 1/4" spruce (I'm guessing here, but it's definitely not balsa...) that spans from the back of the firewall to the next rib. These sticks are notched where they contact the plate.

I hope these picts are better than my description... I not sure how much strength this really adds, but at least Eflite is trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
Hey Aggieflyer, would you mind also elaborating on the spoileron mix you are using? I, like many others, really labor with my landings and wonder if such a mix would help. thanks!
Looks like 3dear and I must build alike... I'm using 20% spoileron mix, but experimenting with other rates depending on the power setup. You'll have to experiment and see what works for you. (Spoilerons (aka reflex), is usually setup on a switch and when activated results in the ailerons moving in some proportion to (ie. rate) , and in the same direction as the elevator.)

As for as landings go, I wouldn't use them for that. Spoilerons are meant to aid in stalling the wing during high-alpha (harriers, parachutes,elevators..) as to help control that nasty wing-rock. Stalling the wings during a 'regular' landing would probably not be a good thing.
Jul 22, 2005, 03:32 PM
Pro Bro #1008
not saying the plane is "bad"..just that unless you are as good as McConville, it 3D's like a brick..if you just wanna fly around in circles and do a loop here and a roll there, then i guess it is fine...90% of my flying is done under 10'-0"..and the MF, at least for my thumbs, is not worth messing with..

and from the specs on the new mini Edge..it looks like it will be "even" worse...but this is just for me...i am glad there are a LOT of people that like these..they simply should not have billed this as an "awesome 3D plane"...

i will continue to fly mineuntil it "goes"..hopefully later moreso than sooner..!
Jul 22, 2005, 04:26 PM
Gas Monkey Vic
Yes, I already did buy a 2nd one after a hanger mishap that smashed one wing. I was going to buy the wing panel but didn’t want to wait to have it shipped, so I went to my LHS and bought a 2nd kit for parts. IMO its not a “3D monster” but I have a blast flying mine, just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply