F3K National Championship Coverage 2021

Check the photos and results of the 2021 F3K National Championships here.

Splash

2021 F3K Nats Coverage

Today kicked off the 2-day F3K National Championships and we have 28 pilots from all over the country in attendance. The weather today was pretty great for the most part with no rain and no crazy Muncie wind. That doesn't mean conditions were easy though! The air was challenging as as ever and provided plenty of land outs and missed times, but it also delivered limit-of-vision altitudes at times. One minute the lift was strong and the next minute you couldn't turn without getting punished. It made for a great fun contest day and that's what really matters.

I saw Gavin break a wing on launch (again...), a couple of mid airs, Tom calling and making all in on the Poker round and some nice low saves. It's been a memorable first day and I'm looking forward to seeing if I can defend the National Champion title tomorrow or if someone else will claim the coveted top spot. Here's where we sit after 8 rounds and day 1. Click on the image below to see the current standings and round scores.

Aug 21, 2021, 06:29 PM
Thank you Jason.
Aug 22, 2021, 06:40 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Awesome! Thanks Tom!!
Aug 22, 2021, 04:28 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Another fine day of soaring! Today we concluded the 2021 F3K National Championship contest. The weather was great for a contest and we flew 5 more prelim rounds. The top 8 pilots then went on to fly 4 Fly Off Rounds and boy let me tell you they were BRUTAL!!! We had land outs, 10+ minute flights and so many ups and down it felt like a roller coaster. In the end Jonathan Garber was left standing at the top by a large margin, even after landing in the corn! Congrats Jonathan! I didn't relinquished the title without a fight though and ended up in 2nd place with Joe Dougherty taking the last spot on the podium.

It was so great to see everyone again and have an amazing contest in Muncie. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone next month at the Possum Toss/Team Select Event. Until then, here's the rest of the photos I took from today. Enjoy!
Last edited by Jason Cole; Aug 22, 2021 at 06:04 PM.
Aug 22, 2021, 06:17 PM
Congrats everyone!

Did Nathan had any midairs this weekend?
Aug 22, 2021, 07:34 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Lol! None that I saw. John P and I tangled lightly once during the fly offs with no issues or damage.
Aug 22, 2021, 09:53 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Congratulations, Jonathan!! I knew you would kill it out there.
Aug 23, 2021, 07:43 AM
Team Falcon
Great photos Jason, thanks for all your efforts and great flying! Congratulations! Well deserved second place finish! 😎
Aug 23, 2021, 09:55 AM
F3B and F3K
Congratulations Jonathan, Jason and Joseph!

Thanks Jason and others for the reporting and pictures.

I hope everyone had a great NATS and safe travels! Looks like the weather was fantastic.

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Aug 23, 2021 at 10:06 AM.
Aug 23, 2021, 11:59 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Earlier in the day yesterday, round 12 of the prelims I believe, Jonathan completed what has got to be one of the most epic DLG flights of all time. I'll let him tell the story... But after witnessing that flight, you couldn't help but let out a cheer when the final scores of the flyoffs were announced. Amazing performance, Jon!

Congrats to Jason and Joseph as well. You guys flew brilliantly all contest long!

Also a big congratulations to John Padilla, who I met for the first time and had the honor to time for in the fly-offs. He won the prelims by consistently flying amazingly well.
Aug 23, 2021, 04:05 PM
Build and Fly

Also, did the G2 go head-to-head with the Yodas?
Aug 23, 2021, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnjmn

Also, did the G2 go head-to-head with the Yodas?
Only Mickey and I had Yodi. (Yodas?). I forgot who had the G2. Regardless my performance in this years nationals didn't live up to what this plane is capable of. I'm still learning F3K and this new plane.
Aug 23, 2021, 07:07 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Pretty sure the G2 belonged to Greg McGill, known here as Glidermang.

Quick Reply