What the Heck Wednesday - RC Plane or a Pinwheel?

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a YouTuber trying to fly his Eachine AR Wing Pro Special Edition.

Splash

Launching Can Be Hard....

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a YouTuber trying to fly his Eachine AR Wing Pro Special Edition. It's a good looking flying wing and the video starts out slow, but skip ahead to about 3:33 to see the first of several launch attempts. He flings the plane with a side arm toss and the plane just wants to spin like a pinwheel. He tries it several more times before heading back to the truck to make some adjustments and finally gets it to fly. It's a tough little plane though!

It appears adding some more nose weight resolved the issue for him, but is there anything else he could have done to improve the flight on this one?

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Aug 19, 2021, 04:38 AM
Reversed gyro?
Aug 19, 2021, 01:10 PM
When he finally added the extra nose weight, it flew, so it wasn't reverse controls/gyro.
I wonder if he even bothered to check that it was within required CG range before adding the weight up front
Aug 19, 2021, 05:14 PM
what is a rudder for?
I fly a lot of wings, some days it takes many attempts to get in the air, other days same wing, first try and it's off.

Being right handed and launching the wing myself right handed there is a scramble to get back on the sticks in time to control it.

I find launching into a stiff wind is helpful.

I like to say the "every take off is an adventure"
Aug 22, 2021, 09:49 AM
Looks like he needs a 'Smart receiver to tame it down'
Aug 22, 2021, 03:35 PM
From the video it looks like you have no reflex in the elevons and along with the torque roll from the motor a crash was inevitable.
If you want to launch the way you are then launch to the right to counter act the motor.
If set up correctly this model with just over half throttle will pull out of your hand when you let go and just fly .
It`s probably one of the easiest wings to launch.
Aug 27, 2021, 10:37 AM
I never once saw him check the CG. Even after adding another battery for ballast, no CG check.

As the FliteTest guys are fond of saying; Anything will fly given enough thrust and proper CG.

CG is by far the most important setup item in getting a wing to fly. No amount of servo trim or fancy electronics is going to make a tail heavy plane fly correctly.
Aug 27, 2021, 10:59 AM
September 2010
As others have said its the CG. The motors thrust is pushing it around an incorrect CG on the wing, looks to be way to far aft. Best thing to do is make sure your at the CG in the instructions, then find some tall grass and give it a good toss without any power. It should glide and have some correct response to roll and pitch inputs from the transmitter.

Quick Reply