Jul 26, 2005, 02:21 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Hey ndflicks, are you really still in the Arkansas area?

Squidbait, hopefully your short kits will arrive today or tommorow, at least it gives you time to clean up your work bench and pick up the rest of the required materials - though I suspect you're going to use your existing parts on the old AG24 version (just be aware, I made the boom another 20mm longer in the latest QFII).

Paul.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2005, 02:39 AM
Mmmm...those short kits looks REALLY nice. Now if only I can get this silly credit card cleared up a little.
Jul 26, 2005, 03:03 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Spacey,

They're cheap enough, even your SuidAfrikan raands should stretch just far enough :-)

I'm dying to get mine... I chase the postman every day.

Paul.
Jul 26, 2005, 05:35 AM
I can just see the postman now.... 'oh god, it's the weird airplane guy...'

I will have to buy another I suppose, just to have a stocker.... but then again, I have to encourage you in the F5J direction somehow, don't I??? Incidentally, I forgot to change my location from Arkansas. I'm in the central North Carolina area now, about 1000 miles East.

Bill
Jul 26, 2005, 05:42 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Okay, all this chatter about stuff /other/ than building the QFII is getting too much :-P I think we need to start building and taking photos ! Pronto!

I see LaserArts is down to their last 2 short kits before they have to make another batch.

Paul.
Jul 26, 2005, 10:15 AM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
Squidbait, hopefully your short kits will arrive today or tommorow, at least it gives you time to clean up your work bench and pick up the rest of the required materials - though I suspect you're going to use your existing parts on the old AG24 version (just be aware, I made the boom another 20mm longer in the latest QFII).

Nope, no package today.... or yesterday.... sigh.

Actually, all I'm going to salvage from the AG24 is the radio gear. It's busted up enough, and my friend's CF repairs to the pod make it somewhat less attractive than starting afresh. And besides, it's currently hanging from the ceiling of my friends' new hobby shop - they wanted something (anything, obviously!) airplane-like to hang up. When you look at it from the bottom it doesn't look too bad... the wings are OK, and it's tilted up, so the ugliness of the pod isn't so obvious

Really all I'll need to get is a new CF boom....

...as soon as the kit gets here....

... whenever that might be....

... not yet....

.... maybe tomorrow....

Sigh.
Jul 26, 2005, 12:08 PM

Tailbooms

Paul,
Goodwin Kites has the AVIA Sula tailboom for about $9. I have one on my Cyberdyne composite DLG and although it does flex a bit I am able to launch as high as the other guys at my field.
Maybe a design can be started and refined by lots of folks on the web. It would make an interesting experiment for anyone interested in doing there own thing. It would also be neat to see how good a built up wing can fair on a DLG.
Ray
Jul 26, 2005, 02:23 PM
Paul, have you put together a list of required balsa and parts that are not included in the short kit or have I missed it?

ps. my kit was waiting for me when I got home from a road trip this weekend. I'm going to post some pics once I get started.

Sleedo
Jul 26, 2005, 04:53 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Sleedo,

*from the laser arts QFII page*

MATERIALS REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE BUILD:

* 4 ea. 3/32" x 3/8" x 26" Hard Balsa Spars
* 2 ea. 3/32" x 3/8" x 6" Balsa Tip Supports
* 2 ea. 1/4" x 1/4" x 25" Balsa Leading Edge
* 1 ea. 1/4" x 36" Balsa Triangle Stock
* 1 ea. 3/16" x 1.5" x 7.25" Balsa Top hatch
* 1 ea. 1.25" x 1.25" x 1.5" Balsa Nose Block (or laminations)
* 4 ea. 1/16" x 3" x 25" Balsa Leading Edge Sheeting
* 1/4" x ~3/8" x 2.5" Balsa X-Grain Stab Mount
* 4 ea. 1/4" to 3/8" x 25" Carbon Fiber Spar Caps (Iron-on or UniWeb type)
* 2 ea. 1/2" to 3/4" x ~12" Carbon Fiber (Fuse sides, Iron-on or Uni-Web type)
* 1 ea. CF Tailboom, 1/4", 18g arrow shaft cut to 22" length
* 2 ea. Pushrod wires and housing
* 2 ea. 4-40 blind nuts and nylon bolts for wing hold-down
* Building supplies: Thick/thin CA, sandpaper, X-Acto, etc.
* Radio equipment

Glad to hear your kit was waiting for you, so, we can expect you flying tommorow ? ;-)

Paul.
Jul 26, 2005, 05:00 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Ray/Kostuk,

It's an interesting concept, certainly for the 50" QFII (the one that the short kit is for) a 1/4" hollow arrowshaft is doing the trick, however for a 60" ship there would most certainly be a need for a boom that's made for it.

The biggest hiccup I see with custom booms is availability and supply, seems to be a constant issue with a lot of other kits.

What sort of ideas did you have ?

Anyone else got any comments ?
Jul 26, 2005, 05:02 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Squidbait,

Seems like US Post isn't being nice to you at the moment (At least you get deliveries on Saturdays, we don't get that here).

I'm also waiting for my kits to arrive because I've busted up all the tail feathers on my current one, so I think it's a good time for me to prepare for a new build.

Paul.
Jul 26, 2005, 05:34 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
Quote:
Squidbait,

Seems like US Post isn't being nice to you at the moment (At least you get deliveries on Saturdays, we don't get that here).
Actually, it's more likely Canada Customs holding it up so they can get their sticky fingers on it and charge me their "inspection fee".

The joys of a 3-party operation - USPS, CCRA, Canada Post.

Sigh.
Jul 26, 2005, 06:00 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Squidbait,

A shame about customs :-\ I would have thought there would be a 'generally free' passage between the two countries since you're both right next to each other. Speaking of customs though, I was surprised when I got a phone call from Australian customs the other week to inform me of an impending package from the US (It was my dual opteron Sun server) and that they needed my business number in order to ensure that when it arrived it would be processed immediately, I though "Wow, that's /service/ for you", normally I'd have expected it to sit in their docks for a few weeks until I phoned them up chasing it.

Are you going to put 2oz FG or something on the fusulage this time around? I'm seriously thinking of doing it since I can definately do with the general ballast, though I may actually shorten the nose a little so I don't have to go adding weight to the tail.

Paul.
Jul 26, 2005, 07:18 PM
Quote:

The biggest hiccup I see with custom booms is availability and supply, seems to be a constant issue with a lot of other kits.
Paul,

The links below point to three different locations at HANG-EM-HIGH.
They have several carbon kite spars that may fill the bill for CF booms. And they have great shipping.

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-hig...+%2d+G%2dForce

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-hig...S+%2d+SkyShark

and the ones on special down the page here.

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-hig...W+%2f+SPECIALS

John
Jul 26, 2005, 08:24 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
John,

Thanks for the links.... will have to do a lot of study if I'm to get half a chance of getting a 60" QFII (QF-III ?) to fly without exploding on the 3rd launch.

Paul.

Quick Reply