Jul 25, 2005, 10:09 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
You may have a lot of trouble with the iron-on, afaik it's in somewhat short supply. I use 12000 strand tow and CA it down, although I think thinned epoxy might work better at keeping it adhered to the balsa skin.

Oh, re OpenSource - http://pldaniels.com/opensource-projects.php - that's some of the stuff I do outside of modelling ;-)

Paul.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2005, 10:56 AM

I'm one of those anonymous short kit buyers

Hi Paul,

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of thanks for your efforts.

I've been following the original QF thread from day one. The best part about that original thread was how it showed all the phases of the development, as the design was improved and modified. It was fun to watch and read about - a little like a soap opera, but when you're done you don't feel quite so trashy .

I'm currently building a Gambler from a kit but it's been sitting idle for a while. Seeing that there are now Quickflick short kits I decided to get off my keister and order one, which will prompt me to hurry up and get the Gambler finished so I'll have workbench space freed up. Then, it'll be time for Quickflick vs. Gambler!

Hal
Jul 25, 2005, 11:15 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Hal,

Thanks for the kind words, seriously. Glad to see that the original QF thread gave you hours of entertainment, indeed you are right in that it has been quite a development cycle, my poor hobby room is full of balsa shavings and trash from the events;

Phase 1 - QF with poly wing using S3021 section
Phase 2 - QF with poly wing using AG36 section
Phase 3 - QF with dihedral AG36 using topsheet only
Phase 4 - QF with dihedral AG36 using full dbox

From here... where do we go... well, I see 2 avenues;
1. Ailerons/flaps
2. 60" / 1500mm span

Now, what is going to be interesting is to see how the Gambler+ and QFII compare, they're somewhat different in design, the Gambler+ using the modified S3021 + poly and a LE taper, the QFII with the AG36 + dihedral with TE taper. I get the feeling that a lot of the differences are actually going to come down to pilot and builder skill.

Paul.
Jul 25, 2005, 02:53 PM
Paul, I have a feeling that there will be more than just a few of us that will want to make an actual comparison with the Gambler. One fine plane deserves another.

Tom
Jul 25, 2005, 06:06 PM

What was included in the short kit...

Cruddy pic, but gives you an idea. Excellent looking quality, parts simply fall right out of the sheets, no need for that nasty X-acto!
Jul 25, 2005, 07:18 PM

60" aileron QF?

Paul,
I also appreciate your work on the QFII. I'd like to encourage you to work on a 60" aileron version as I think it can be used as a good entry competition level or one design contest plane. I'm not sure what airfoil would give the best performance with building tolerances taken into account. The Apache and the first Salsa had a BU wing with some success. The extra L/D of a full size DLG would be great.
Ray
Jul 25, 2005, 07:20 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Tom,

Yes, I imagine you're quite right about that (the comparison). Will be most interesting to see how things turn up.

ndflicks,

Thanks for taking the photo of the kit parts, I actually probably won't get my first kit until next week some time (shipping from the US seems to always take it's time to Australia).

Paul.
Jul 25, 2005, 07:32 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndflicks
Cruddy pic, but gives you an idea. Excellent looking quality, parts simply fall right out of the sheets, no need for that nasty X-acto!
FAVOURATISM!!! That's all I can say!!! Favouritisim!

How else could ndflicks get his kit before me?!?!?

It ain't fair, I tells ya! ;D
Jul 25, 2005, 07:46 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Squidbait,

I suggest when you get yours, send it back to Brian demanding that he send you one sooner, that should work ;-)

I suspect ndflicks must live relatively close to where Brian is. I still haven't gotten mine either, oh wait, that's because I'm in Australia.

Paul.
Jul 25, 2005, 08:09 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
Squidbait,

I suggest when you get yours, send it back to Brian demanding that he send you one sooner, that should work ;-)

I suspect ndflicks must live relatively close to where Brian is. I still haven't gotten mine either, oh wait, that's because I'm in Australia.

Paul.
Paul,

Respectfully yours,

Marc

Jul 25, 2005, 08:27 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
I wonder how many QFII's are going to be built according to the plan... and how many are going to end up as interesting mutations. I know some people are already looking at putting 22mm dia BL CDR motors on the front (this isn't F5J guys :-P), ah well, such is the joy of human creativity.

Paul.
Jul 25, 2005, 08:52 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk
Paul,
I also appreciate your work on the QFII. I'd like to encourage you to work on a 60" aileron version as I think it can be used as a good entry competition level or one design contest plane.
Hello Ray,

Well, I'd love to get into a 60" version as well, just to see if I can maybe get up to 50m launch heights (something I'm struggling to get to with the low inertia inherent in the 50" QFII).

The things holding me back right now with the 60" would be sourcing a suitable boom (the 1/4" arrow shafts I use now just won't cope with that sort of stress) and essentially redesigning the whole trailing edge of the wing. . . I've also got a few people wanting an F5J plane based on the QFII, so there's quite a bit of work ahead.

Paul.
Jul 25, 2005, 09:05 PM
hee hee, dare I mention I've had my kit since saturday?

oh and regarding the installation of a cd motor rewind.... I've seen the vids, paul, I'm nowhere near as surefooted as you, in fact, if you were to vid my first attempt at a DLG launch, it'd be a summation of the entire blockbuster summer movie bonanza... it'd make you laugh, cry, and hang your head in shame all at once.

Bill
Jul 25, 2005, 09:35 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Bill,

*tsk* You don't have to be a gymnast to launch DLG. You can get 80% of the height by just doing a gentle turn and throw (without leaping into the air like I do - incidently, that hurts my knee and hip doing that).

Perhaps you should buy another kit ;-)

Paul.
Jul 25, 2005, 10:17 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndflicks
hee hee, dare I mention I've had my kit since saturday?

nd, this one's for you:

Quick Reply