Jul 21, 2005, 10:40 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Nice blusterly conditions today with a reasonable temperature of about 24'C.... I took the QFII out to fly with it's altimeter, sad to say but I was only about to reach 30m altitude, I just couldn't seem to get it up there, I suspect I'm a tad nose-heavy with the extra 8g of mass from the logger, going to have to fix that up.

Anyhow, so there you have it, you should be able to get at least 30m / 100ft with the launches.

Paul.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2005, 03:36 AM
Paul, I have the Ram+ and I was using the high rate, 5 samples/sec I believe. Hopefully it will squeeze into the fuse, it fit into my dl50's nose but I had to add weight to the tail to counter balance it. With your open wing maybe I could rig it up in the centersection?

Hmmm...just might work.
Jul 22, 2005, 06:32 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
sleedo,

Yes, I'm thinking I'll have to compensate with some tail weight. Either I was just having a really 'bad day' or those extra 8g on the nose really made the launches feel ugly.

Let's hope I can get 35~40m tommorow.... 50 would be a nice target but I'm not sure I can practically load the airframe up that much without it exploding.

Paul.
Jul 22, 2005, 06:43 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Is it just me, a database failure... or something else, but .... I see that there's no more QFII kits available :-O Did they sell out that fast? Just as Brian goes off to the world Aviation fair thing.

I wonder if they're just reshuffling the site around.

Paul.
Jul 22, 2005, 11:53 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Seems like Brian and friends have worked hard last night and there's a new batch of short kits for sale on their site.

Paul.
Jul 22, 2005, 12:00 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
Seems like Brian and friends have worked hard last night and there's a new batch of short kits for sale on their site.

Paul.
Got the notice that mine shipped yesterday!
Jul 22, 2005, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Is it just me, a database failure... or something else, but .... I see that there's no more QFII kits available :-O Did they sell out that fast? Just as Brian goes off to the world Aviation fair thing.

I wonder if they're just reshuffling the site around.

Paul.
I ordered 7 kits for friends and myself this A.M. and was confirmed so I hope they ship in the first batch.

John
Jul 22, 2005, 06:22 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
John,

Aaaah, so you're the culprit :-)

/seven/ kits... sounds like you're building an army.

At first I thought it was a glitch but it all makes sense now.

Paul.
Jul 22, 2005, 08:34 PM
Quote:
John,

Aaaah, so you're the culprit :-)

/seven/ kits... sounds like you're building an army.

At first I thought it was a glitch but it all makes sense now.

Paul.
Paul,

Not an army. Just the fact that I have the QF36-59 and if anything happens to it I would pay much more than the $13.50 to replace it. So I got two (2) short kits for myself so I can build a DLG in addition to repair of the QF36-59. A wonderful kit from a great designer like you that has risk putting your accomplishments and failures out there for all of us to see Is "A Must Build". I ordered a replacement rib set for the current wonderful flying Mini-Hi-Start that I adore. I have four others that have ordered (One ordered two kits like me). I donít know when I can get to the build but it will happen. I went to the HLG Natís, in Muncie, today and the other guy the ordered two kits asked to up his order. I had already ordered so I will point him in the right direction. I understand that LA has free shipping while on vacation. Fantastic deal!! Paul, I must commend you for you contribution to the hobby by publishing the plans for the QFII which I view as watershed in the built-up HLG evolution. Thank you very much!

John
Jul 22, 2005, 10:02 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
John,

My wife says that we need larger doors if I'm going to get responses like that - something about 'ego' and 'big head' *laugh*.

Well it seems in the short time I've gone out to do some flying (bad weather again, poor performance from me, still only 100ft launches :-\ ) another couple of kits have sold, so I'm really quite pleased (as I'm sure Brian is, since he put quite a bit on the line too to take up the project).

You can consider this project more of a case of 'scratching an itch', I wanted a DLG, balsa (because handling composites/epoxy tends to make me break out in strange ways) and compact , being stuck over here in Australia, a long way from the US also ruled out most kit importing options. As for giving everyone access to the plans, well that's a carry over from my programming life, OpenSource development and all.

John, I hope that your kit builds and those of the fellows you spoke to at the NATs come out really well, naturally I'm sure they all can come up with their own tweaks and such, I for one am also for ever tweaking the QFII, like now I'm making up a lightweight formed section to put onto the rear of the fusulage to make it more streamline (using the tissue/glue method).

As always, bring on the photos :-) I love seeing photos, as I'm sure everyone else does.

Paul.
Jul 24, 2005, 02:05 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Here's some of todays launches from the RAM2 altitude logger. I thought I was doing pretty good today for launches but the graphs tell a different story. The weather was overcast and blowing a steady 10~15km/hr cool wind which was rarely interrupted.

I'd just like to point out something to people who are building the QFII, there is a strong chance you may build /nose-heavy/. When your plane is nose-heavy it'll initially appear as if it's actually /tail-heavy/, here are the symptoms:

1 - launches feel thick and muggy, hard to push the plane
2 - you find yourself needing up trim to get a decent launch
3 - you cannot penetrate into the wind, instead the plane just hovers
4 - glider has a strong tendency to pull out of dives

If you're getting these sort of things happening, try a bit more tail weight, just be warned, if you were nose-heavy and you keep the same elevator trim for the next launch, it'll go vertical rather quickly ;-)

Jul 25, 2005, 01:57 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Okay, feel like I'm talking to myself here.

Anyone got any pictures of their kits yet?

Paul.
Jul 25, 2005, 04:10 AM
Ordered mine friday and now that i've told my friends i've got to order 3 more. But i do have a couple of questions, would the blue arrow 4.3g servo be enough for the qf, i also have a single 1200 mah lipo cell with a berg or blue bird reciever. also would you mind if i cut a set of aileron wings bagged in fiberglass to see if i can turn this into a full house dlg and try to keep the weight under 8.5oz, or were you already planning on a aileron wing next, if so i'll wait and buy the next kit.
Last edited by andramalech; Jul 25, 2005 at 04:16 AM.
Jul 25, 2005, 04:20 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Andramalech,

The blue-arrow's should be fine. I use the 5.8g GWS picos, I imagine there's very little difference between them. For the most strenous part of the DLG life (the launch) the servos shouldn't actually suffer /too/ much stress, certainly my picos are holding up.

I can't say for sure how the 1200mA cell will go with either of those receivers, I'm still using a 4 x 2/3AAA cell setup, but am thinking of getting a 2s lipo combo although I'm not sure how it's going to fit since the QFII fusulage is quite narrow.

Feel free to experiment, what you do with the kit is entirely up to you :-) Right now my 'next plane' is something I'm only just thinking about, there's a push for me to make a F5J plane and then there's also the push to make a QF-III with an aileron wing. . . but it could be quite a long time.

Nice to see your friends forcing you to buy more kits *laugh*. Hope that you have plenty of stock balsa around so you can make the spars/LE/TE/sheeting, after all, remember, this is a *short* kit.

Paul.
Jul 25, 2005, 10:01 AM
i ave plenty of balsa, but now i'm trying to find the iron on carbon, the others would have a problem with the uni. what ever you deside to design next i'm going to build, i love opensource. thats why i run linux and build from scratch

Quick Reply