Mar 01, 2018, 11:07 PM
Ok. Good to hear.

What weight boom should I shoot for? I have a few sitting here I can choose from but if they're too heavy I'll order a specific one.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2018, 12:58 AM
That's a good question. I just went to Dick's Sporting Goods and purchased a youth carbon arrow.
Mar 02, 2018, 01:45 AM
I also have a couple of those. I'll just pick my lightest one.
Dec 07, 2019, 11:44 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
So, I am interested in trying DLG. I am old, and will never be able to do a serious launch, but that's OK. I want to start with something inexpensive. I've seen this, though the thread is pretty much dead now. There is also the Mimi I could build. And then there is the foam Liebelle which I kind of like since it has ailerons. There is also the Spinnin Birdy kit from the UK, but shipping is $50 or so.

How does the QF II stack up. I'd like a DLG that I could give a to fairly gentle launch and see how long I can keep it in the air.
Dec 07, 2019, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
So, I am interested in trying DLG. I am old, and will never be able to do a serious launch, but that's OK. I want to start with something inexpensive. I've seen this, though the thread is pretty much dead now. There is also the Mimi I could build. And then there is the foam Liebelle which I kind of like since it has ailerons. There is also the Spinnin Birdy kit from the UK, but shipping is $50 or so.

How does the QF II stack up. I'd like a DLG that I could give a to fairly gentle launch and see how long I can keep it in the air.
Elf.
With d47s
Its small light and a decent launcher. You cant fly in much wind though.
Dec 07, 2019, 02:15 PM
The Elf is pretty good. The elevator function is a bit touchy, though. At least for a non-computer radio. The horn on the flying stab is kind of short, so even with the pushrod on the inmost hole of a D47 servo arm, there's too much throw without reducing the servo travel. I suppose with the throw turned down, with a quality servo and tight linkage, it could be quite smooth. The pushrods on mine are run through a series of rings, but I think if I was going to build one from scratch I'd use a continuous pushrod housing tube the way most DLG's do. A light one, to be sure. The little pushrod guides on the one I have are easy to knock off. It was given to me by a ff guy who couldn't handle it, possibly because of the elevator issue. Maybe those rings aren't easy to knock off if one uses good epoxy and surface prep. I keep a bit of lead in mine, but there isn't room for much. It's definitely a lot of fun.

If you're good and patient with sanding, and you have some really light c-grain, you might consider an Apogee, as seen on the Charles River Radio Controllers site. You could add a throwing pin and use the tail setup from the Apogee Sport, which you can find on Outerzone. I flew a few of Mark Drela's Apogees. Very fun, and good performers. At least the ones that are 36 inches or one meter.

JH Aerospace has a wood DLG kit, at the 1.5 meter size. I haven't seen one in person, but it looks like it might be good. 1.5 meter models tend to perform better, and, at least for a lot of people, launch higher. OTOH, tip strikes are a possibility in aileron models, which don't have much dihedral to keep the tips out of harms way. Technique or being tall with short arms may make this less of a problem. I suspect the seven foot guy I saw at a contest didn't have this problem.

Two channel DLG's are a bit more critical about lead or lag when launching, since they have a larger roll response to yaw. Just something to be aware of. If you work up the power on your launches gradually, this may not be much of a problem. I learned DLG on a two channel model. I've found that my launches improve when I hang around people who are launching higher than me. I think one acquires certain skills by unconsciously emulating skilled pilots. If it turns out that you can't throw as high as you'd like, you can always use a tiny hi start.

Wright Brothers RC has the Gambler AG. Not too different from the QF II, I think. I haven't flown the AG version enough to have an opinion on it. Might be good.

Then there's the Mountain Models DL50. It's a little heavy for the span, but maybe would be lighter if put on a diet. That is, really light wood in the tail, lighter batteries and radio gear, which are more available now, and maybe bagged epoxy/fiberglass for the wings. I've thrown one a few times, but I don't have an opinion. It seemed a little heavier than some.

The Libelle is kind of heavy.

Not having seen or flown a QFII, I can't say how good it is. It might be very good, for all I know.
Dec 07, 2019, 06:04 PM
i have a DLG BUG, QFII and a MIMI they all fly great. build light and ballast up to the point of a good launch height the only advantage of the QFII is the short kit both the mimi and bug were scratch built.
Dec 07, 2019, 09:35 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
One day I would love to finally get the time and inclination to design the QF III, mostly to provide a more tapered body and better wingseat/fus integration.

Been a long time that the QFII has been around now, a lot of things in life have changed here.
Dec 08, 2019, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflexo
One day I would love to finally get the time and inclination to design the QF III, mostly to provide a more tapered body and better wingseat/fus integration.

Been a long time that the QFII has been around now, a lot of things in life have changed here.
Is that you, Paul Daniels? If so, I would definitely put in my vote for a QF III. My QF II was the gateway drug for my DLG obsession and I still have it and fly it occasionally. It's tough and flies great. Both changes you suggest would definitely improve it.

What about a 1.5m version?

Whatever you do, thanks for designing the QF II - I have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of it, both building and flying.

Chuck
Dec 08, 2019, 09:00 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn0rris
Is that you, Paul Daniels? If so, I would definitely put in my vote for a QF III. My QF II was the gateway drug for my DLG obsession and I still have it and fly it occasionally. It's tough and flies great. Both changes you suggest would definitely improve it.

What about a 1.5m version?

Whatever you do, thanks for designing the QF II - I have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of it, both building and flying.

Chuck
Yes, it's me

1.5m I find generally will cause too many material stress limit issues, so at best maybe a 1.3m variant. The 1.2m variant was useful due to the size of stock selection available with the laser cutting service at the time that I recall.

Would like to have myself another DLG soon, been a long time since I've twiddled some sticks, had to sell everything off about 10 years ago, never quite been game to walk back in to that shed to open up the last box of kits I had.
Jan 15, 2020, 01:22 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Speaking of the QF II, I built one from a Mountain Models kit a couple years ago. Got it framed up and covered and then just kinda abandoned it. I should finish it and see how it goes. I know it's not a competition model but it might be fun.
Feb 05, 2020, 06:00 PM
John H
@ubuilder. Just finished modifying my QFII with ailerons. I have had it for 5 years or so and its a bit banged up. I thought it couldn't hurt
to add ailerons at this point.
Feb 05, 2020, 09:06 PM
Another one bites the Dust
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida
@ubuilder. Just finished modifying my QFII with ailerons. I have had it for 5 years or so and its a bit banged up. I thought it couldn't hurt
to add ailerons at this point.
Picture?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Feb 06, 2020, 10:44 PM
John H
Here are some pictures. I've only done a light Hand launch in the front yard for a test. I am ready to head to the field this weekend for the new maiden. My hope is to sail it at the beach using the berm for lift. The on shore breeze was to much for just a rudder. I am eventually going to make a fairing out of water bottles but I'm have trouble making the mold.
Feb 07, 2020, 06:06 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
I like the way you did that, simple, and added wing area.

Quick Reply