H-King (PNF) Reno Aces P-51 "Galloping Ghost" EPO 1016mm

The H-King P51 "Galloping Ghost" is the first in a new mini-series from H-King, the "Reno Aces", WW2 fighters dressed to impress at the air races.

Splash

Reno Aces P-51 "Galloping Ghost"

The H-King P51 "Galloping Ghost" is the first in a new mini-series from H-King, the "Reno Aces", WW2 fighters dressed to impress at the air races. The P-51 "Galloping Ghost" with the included stock 3108-1070KV brushless motor offers a really quick model straight out of the box with speeds approaching 100mph when using the recommended 2200mah 4S lipo. However, if you are an experienced hand and are looking for 100+ mph speeds then there is the optional drop-in fit 3108-1170KV 'Pro' brushless motor. This will give your great-looking Reno Ace a really ballistic performance on the same prop, ESC, and 4S battery for those that can handle the extra rotational torque on launch.

The P-51 as a design has excellent flying qualities, but the H-King "Galloping Ghost" especially so. Its low drag design and generous wing section results in a model that really grooves and feels locked in at full power, but slow it down and it is a real pussycat too, and just as much fun. The stall is very benign, basically non-existent, the controls remain effective through the complete speed range, and aerobatics, it can do them all. Once you're done with your 6+min flight, fully flared landings are very easy to achieve and make belly landing the P-51 a pure joy.

The full-size "Galloping Ghost" started life being supplied to the Army Air Force during World War II. Once the war was finished it was offered to the public as surplus stock in 1946, being sold for just $3,500. The plane was re-registered as NX7911 and named "Galloping Ghost" and was entered for the popular races that were being held in the States just after the war. In only its second outing in the Kendall Trophy race in 1947, pilot Steve Beville recorded the fastest ever closed-course speed with 384.6mph (619km/h). The Galloping Ghost changed hands (and names) several times over the following years, and had a period of not flying from 1990 to 2009. In 2010 it was made ready to compete in the 2011 Reno Races and was to be flown by Jimmy Leeward. Unfortunately during the race, the aircraft suffered a catastrophic elevator failure which led to it crashing and killing its pilot and spectators. This was a truly tragic closing chapter of the history of the full-size "Galloping Ghost", and one we should always remember.

The H-King version of this classic racing Mustang comes "Plug N Fly" which means it has the motor, ESC, and servos pre-installed. The tough EPO foam is finished in the authentic silver color scheme of NX7911 "Galloping Ghost" with racing number 177. Assembly is very easy and straightforward with its one-piece wing and simple slot in horizontal stabilizer (no glue required). Other features are the substantially reinforced fuselage, plywood, and carbon are used to create a stiffened and strengthened fuselage, and motor box. Plastic skid plates are fitted to all the underside contact areas for protection when landing, and you are supplied with the option of both a clear, or a golden canopy to add the finishing touch to your Mustang.

H-King (PNF) Reno Aces P-51 "Galloping Ghost" EPO 1016mm - Flight Review (20 min 17 sec)

So to summarize, the H-King P-51 "Galloping Ghost" is fast out of the box with the pre-installed motor (optional 'Pro' motor available for even more speed), it has fantastic flying qualities with good fast and slow speed handling, is strong, and quick to assemble. It is a great contender for use at fun, club pylon racing events with the strength and maneuverability to do "Bank and Yank" pylon turns. A great, fun airplane that is brilliant to fly, looks fantastic in the air, and will have you smiling from ear to ear the whole time you are flying it.

Features:

• Up to 100mph on 'Stock' motor. 100+ mph speeds with optional 'Pro' motor
  • Reinforced EPO foam construction, lightweight, strong and stiff
  • Plastic skid plates to streamline and protect the airframe
  • Easy and quick assembly in just a few minutes
  • Easy to hand launch, super easy to belly land
  • Super stable at high and low speeds
  • Optional clear or golden canopy included

Specs:

• Type:Wingspan: 1016mm (40")
  • Length: 864mm (34")
  • All Up Weight (RTF): 960g (33oz)
  • Stock Motor: 3108-1070KV brushless outrunner
  • Pro Motor: 3108-1160KV brushless outrunner (optional)
  • ESC: 40A brushless w/BEC
  • Propeller: 8x6
  • Servos: 4x9g digital

Learn More

For pricing and more info head over to HobbyKing!

Aug 10, 2021, 10:15 AM
JohnVHRC
Fun new racer!
More info in video description
Galloping Ghost MAIDEN FLIGHT Reno Aces H-King HobbyKing (5 min 51 sec)

Reno Aces Galloping Ghost UNBOXING AND BUILD H-King HobbyKing Review (21 min 42 sec)
Aug 10, 2021, 12:04 PM
Right Rudder
Very Nice!
Aug 10, 2021, 01:09 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Interesting. Funny how headlines can conjure up different images. When I read the subject line, I opened the thread expecting to see a review of an REM plane with wagging rudder and elevator, and three position throttle.

- Roger
Aug 10, 2021, 03:33 PM
I review RC Products
This is my Maiden Flight with the this beast!

H-King Galloping Ghost P-51 Mustang Reno Racer RC Plane Maiden Flight (6 min 27 sec)
Aug 10, 2021, 04:35 PM
A beautiful plane. But I'm on the fence ordering one. Is hobbyking profiting off this tragic loss of the pilot and plane? Or profiting off the memory of that horrible day. Sounds weird but that was the first thing I thought about when I saw it on hobbyking.
Aug 10, 2021, 04:55 PM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepma
A beautiful plane. But I'm on the fence ordering one. Is hobbyking profiting off this tragic loss of the pilot and plane? Or profiting off the memory of that horrible day. Sounds weird but that was the first thing I thought about when I saw it on hobbyking.
I am not understanding your train of thought here.......

What does an RC Airplane model has anything to do with the Actual Events that occurred back in 2011?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wikipedia
On September 16, 2011, The Galloping Ghost, a highly modified North American P-51D Mustang racing aircraft, crashed into spectators while competing at the Reno Air Races in Reno, Nevada, killing the pilot, James K. "Jimmy" Leeward, and ten people on the ground. Sixty-nine more people on the ground were injured.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So so, with the same train of thought perhaps you need to contact those who made the larger Gasoline Powered versions, right?
https://carf-models.com/de/products/p-51_reno_racer

Rc "The Galloping Ghost P-51" (3 min 54 sec)
Last edited by PittSpecial; Aug 10, 2021 at 05:22 PM.
Aug 10, 2021, 07:36 PM
Looking forward to HK doing some sub 250 gram stuff .
Bring back those micro EDF's
Aug 10, 2021, 07:45 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the fullscale GG missing the radiator belly pan in favor of a boil-off cooling regime? Nice plane in any case.
Aug 11, 2021, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Would this same logic preclude flying most WWII planes because they were used for killing civilians(on purpose)? No Mitsubishi A6M Zero because they were used for Kamikaze missions against U.S. Warships?

Actually the Galloping Ghost is a frequently requested livery, not for it's tragic end, but for it's storied life.
Aug 11, 2021, 12:23 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
Would this same logic preclude flying most WWII planes because they were used for killing civilians(on purpose)? No Mitsubishi A6M Zero because they were used for Kamikaze missions against U.S. Warships?

Actually the Galloping Ghost is a frequently requested livery, not for it's tragic end, but for it's storied life.
Very well said!

GB
Aug 11, 2021, 12:25 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Quote:
I am glad to see that I wasn't the only person put off by this model, NOT Reno's air racing finest moment by a long shot. An over- modified and ill handling racer at best and had several mods that removed safety equipment of the original aircraft. I have personally been to the Reno races many times and I was very happy I missed that day. The final reports tell the story in full. That crash changed the rules and inspections of the race planes considerably.

That said, I am sure that this model is a fine and fast plane but the choice of paint scheme is quite questionable. Almost seems like there was zero research in the history of the original race plane before introducing this replica. Sorry, I just don't think this model is appropriate.
Whirlcap
Aug 11, 2021, 12:52 AM
People nowadays seem to look for offense around every possible corner...

There is a huge precedent of modelling this plane. When I look around classifieds I see them pretty regularly, in all sizes. I nearly bought a used FMS Strega repainted as the GG a couple years ago.. (Regret not getting it...)

History is a big part of model aviation, and if I happen to have an FW-190 or Bf-109 model, it does not mean I am a Nazi sympathizer.

I recently read that more people were killed in the incendiary fire-bombing of Toyko than both atom bomb drops combined. Now I'm not really a bomber guy, but that would NOT be a reason for me to not have a B-29 model...

Saying the GG should not be modeled is an attempt to whitewash history IMO. The GG was a real historical plane, which was destroyed in a tragic accident. To suggest that anybody is glorifying that is... Well, I "disagree" with that perspective, to say the least. Just like I think it is wrong for people to want to get all offended by swastikas on historical scale models. People need to understand context. Air shows, car races, rock concerts, and on and on. The history of all of them(and life on earth generally, it should go without saying..) is full of tragic accidents. We - historical airplane enthusiasts - are not glorifying any of it. If we are glorifying anything it is the machines as the technical wonders they were* - even if the originals had a swastika on them or were involved in a tragic accident - and perhaps a nostalgia for a by-gone era in which the miracle of flight was far more fascinating and awe-inspiring than anything as base and stupid as politics... Read A Higher Call - it's not about the ideologies on the ground - it's about the machines in the air and the honor and gallantry of those who flew them(that magical warbird era was mostly WWII afaic, and even the GG was part of that...)

* I have been watching TheFlightChannel on Youtube. It is absolutely awful how so many of these crashes happened. I saw one yesterday about a passenger plane, in which the pilots put the gear down to land. The light for the nose gear did not light up. So they got to circling and messing around trying to figure out what was going on, and ultimately crashed the plane into the ground, killing everybody (150+ I believe..) on board. Ultimately it was just a dead lightbulb. Just one of many awful, tragic accidents in history.

And as for the GG, just look around this and a couple other threads. Now more people know about it.....
Last edited by SchmidtsKatze; Aug 11, 2021 at 01:11 AM.
Aug 11, 2021, 01:26 AM
Quote:

No, I dont think so... but if that was HK's marketing depts reasoning behind the name choice, its actually a very poor one. The fact that the real plane was involved an a terrible accident does not carry any sort of morbid fascination or compulsion for me to buy it.

Other than the name it looks has a lot going fot it and I'm interested to see what the other two models in the series will be.
Aug 11, 2021, 01:45 AM
Never liked the modified warbirds that were turned into racers, prefer a true warbird, lately have been jonesing for a nice scale Zero and/or a Stuka in the 11-1200mm range but that’s my taste. Looks like a nice effort for folks looking for a racer.

Quick Reply