Aug 09, 2021, 10:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Phoenix BAe Hawk Build Thread

This thread will suffice for my building process. I am new to jets but have been building from scratch for over a decade.. I found there wasn't a whole lot of info out there and I noticed this ARF went up $150 the week after I bought it!! (Model #: PMMA1623) I am so glad to have it now, but so far it does seem worth the extra $150... Two big things I did not realize when I ordered it... It comes with lights AND electric brakes. Everything I had previously seen on here had neither, people were talking about buying extraneous JP wheels/brakes and stuff.

One of the first things I started doing... tearing apart the "scale cockpit." It's not bad, but it's far from great. So I am in the process of repainting it all. Pulling the stickers off was a pain. I have some finishing touches to do, but not a whole lot. The main thing is that I printed some photos of some "scale" f-35 and T-X cockpits. I have designed some pieces that will be 3D printing for more of a "3D" cockpit for the printed screens to be mounted too. Stand by for those... I can upload the 3D files if anyone is ever interested.
Last edited by TMcDon; Aug 10, 2021 at 08:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2021, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
Second thing I've done... New color. I wanted darkly contrasted colors on the bottom and I found this cool CF Ultraco. And an engine from my other project as welll, a 7 cylinder 90cc gas radial going in the Phoenix Waco. They just make some great stuff.
Last edited by TMcDon; Aug 10, 2021 at 08:17 AM.
Aug 09, 2021, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Just because...

UMS 7-90 Radial Engine First Start Up (0 min 26 sec)

Radial running.
Last edited by TMcDon; Aug 10, 2021 at 08:17 AM.
Sep 28, 2021, 12:17 PM
Progress on this?
Oct 19, 2021, 02:11 AM
Thread OP
Sorry didn't think anyone cared!

Still not don't but working on like 4 different planes right now. I ended up getting a jmb t7-a as well. Which even though it will be my first composite jet, I'm not super thrilled with the quality for the price...

Anyways, I've been working on the retracts lately. I bought some JP struts and someone in another thread said the retracts need modified to make them work. Well they really weren't kidding... They needed A LOT of modification. After drilling the retracts to fit the struts, they had to be shimmed with bits of aluminum can pieces to fit into the recess properly. Was a major pain, but I have it mostly figured out now. You can see I painted around the edges of the wheel recesses with black enamel paint.

I also put the lights into the wings. I cut the plastic covering off of the corners of the wings where the lights go and painted the wood with metallic silver acrylic paint before securing the wingtip lights. I also painted the flap hinges and the servo control rods/horns to camouflage them a bit which came out very well actually! Will take photos soon.

You can see the picture of my waco I am almost finished with, it has the exact same led light system. The white is a strobe and landing lights are controlled with a switch. Very impressed.

Most all the servos are in, hinges are all glued. Just about ready to put it all together.

Then you can see the trailer I made homemade between working on the planes. That thing was a ton of work. The top lifts up and has gas struts on it to prop itself up.
Last edited by TMcDon; Oct 19, 2021 at 02:25 AM.
Oct 19, 2021, 02:28 AM
Thread OP
This is the cowl I painted for the Waco. I think I might end up doing a little painting on the Hawk at some point we well. Didn't realize how easy it is to babe your own stencils with wax paper, masking tape and an xacto.

And went to see the blue angels last week the f3t stole the show for sure. Sorry, a bunch of random stuff I know.
Last edited by TMcDon; Oct 19, 2021 at 02:48 AM.
Oct 20, 2021, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Here are the painted hinges and aileron controls. Upclose it is meh, but I think it will be great in the air. I wasn't a fan of the blueish/grey inside of the wingtip light housing area, so here you can see I removed it and painted it silver. Still needs another coat before I seal it all up.

Evntually I am going to design and 3D print a little fairing to hide the retracts too. The plastic of the wheel well ends are the retract, so I'll just come up with a little something for that on the printer in sketchup.
Oct 22, 2021, 05:40 AM
Nice!

I don't know why this plane isn't more popular. It flies so nicely and is so cheap for what you get! I think I'm going to grab a couple more because I have a feeling they'll disco them soon.
Oct 22, 2021, 07:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeller Aircraft
Nice!

I don't know why this plane isn't more popular. It flies so nicely and is so cheap for what you get! I think I'm going to grab a couple more because I have a feeling they'll disco them soon.
Right?? It is a very well made plane for what it is. I just wish they offered different colors. That's my only complaint. Even the cockpit is higher quality plastic than the cockpit that came in my $3,600 JMB T-7A. It's a nice plane for sure, with a 3D printer adding a couple pieces can really add to it too. Can't wait to see how it flys!

Quick Reply