Aug 09, 2021, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Taurus, Aristo Cat, and Beachcomber (Now with new pics and discussion!)

I took this pic in Puerto Rico August of 1969! I was flying a three channel Mambo Special at the time, my first real RC airplane. Testors Skyhawk single channel pulse /.049 powered before that, didn't last long! It actually flew well, but me and my dad unfortunately didn't!
Last edited by skyboy50; Aug 12, 2021 at 06:30 AM. Reason: added "revised" notation.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2021, 03:29 PM
I tried to reply to your PM but your settings don't allow anyone to pm your back.

Need to set it to allow pm's from RCG members.
Aug 09, 2021, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Hmmmm.... OK, I suck at forums.... working on it though! Thanks/c
Aug 09, 2021, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
I think I got it! I had enabled to accept PMs, but also to only accept PMs from Moderators and Contacts, so I turned off the second item. thanks!
Aug 10, 2021, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Rogue, please try to PM me again/thanks/cp
Aug 10, 2021, 12:39 PM
A man with too many toys
Speaking of the Beachcomber, I have a crashed one with fiberglass fuselage. It's been in my shop for 20 years +. Wing and fuselage are not that bad. The tail end is what requires most of the work. Are they worth restoring - how do they fly.

Aug 10, 2021, 05:13 PM
Nice models in the photo Skyby50! Coincidentally I'm building a new Aristo Cat right now.

My lovely bride is Puerto Rican, have visited the island several times, never had a chance to look for any modeling activities.
Aug 10, 2021, 06:17 PM
If it was mine, I would restore it without a second thought. It is a good flying plane but from the early days of proportional radios. With the thick, constant chord wing it will be slower and less responsive than the planes of the 70s and 80s. More like a Kwik Fli or Sun Fli (think early Kaos) than a UFO/Dirty Birdy and such.
Aug 10, 2021, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboy50
I took this pic in Puerto Rico August of 1969! I was flying a three channel Mambo Special at the time, my first real RC airplane. Testors Skyhawk single channel pulse /.049 powered before that, didn't last long! It actually flew well, but me and my dad unfortunately didn't!
Where in PR? I flew in the Panasonic in Carolina and in Tortuguero and Sabana Seca. Around 1982.
Aug 11, 2021, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider1960
Nice models in the photo Skyby50! Coincidentally I'm building a new Aristo Cat right now.

My lovely bride is Puerto Rican, have visited the island several times, never had a chance to look for any modeling activities.
If you ever come to the island again (or anyone else from this forum), PM me with the details of your trip and I will take you to the best R/C club in Puerto Rico.
Aug 11, 2021, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafy13bt
Where in PR? I flew in the Panasonic in Carolina and in Tortuguero and Sabana Seca. Around 1982.
I'm a member of the Borinquen R/C club in Sabana Seca (excuse the low quality photo, taken by a drone on January 2020)
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Aug 11, 2021 at 01:04 AM.
Aug 11, 2021, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Very happy that you’re building the ‘Cat’!

R
Aug 11, 2021, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Rafy, Yeah, I called it Dorado, but really Tortuguero. Or might have been at Miņi-Miņi . Been too long! I was there in late 60s/early70s.
Last edited by skyboy50; Aug 11, 2021 at 09:51 AM.
Aug 11, 2021, 09:51 AM
Thread OP
Lowrider, congrats on your lovely wife! Holla! Also, would like to see pics of the -cat. One sold on ebay a few years ago, I should have bought it! With that said, its pretty simple with constant chord wings, slab sided, etc. Some confuse it with a Falcon 56, however, my recollection was that the -cat was a much more capable (sorry, sounds like sacrilege!), than the -56, it could really fly like a 60/70s pattern ship.
Aug 12, 2021, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboy50
Lowrider, congrats on your lovely wife! Holla! Also, would like to see pics of the -cat. One sold on ebay a few years ago, I should have bought it! With that said, its pretty simple with constant chord wings, slab sided, etc. Some confuse it with a Falcon 56, however, my recollection was that the -cat was a much more capable (sorry, sounds like sacrilege!), than the -56, it could really fly like a 60/70s pattern ship.
Agreed, the Aristo Cat is larger and much more capable model than a Falcon 56, not a knock on the 56, it flies quite well for its intended purpose.

Here's two photo's, first one is an Aristo Cat I scratch built from plans in 2001, OS 46 powered. Only change from plan was to use aluminum LG as bending music wire is something I do not enjoy.

Second photo is a new build in progress from the Midwest kit that I bought recently from a friend, here I've changed the front end to eliminate the maple engine bearer and switched to a more conventional 1/4" ply firewall and Hayes engine mount. Had hoped to have this finished for a vintage meet in October but not looking like I'll be able to attend...so no rush to complete. Will be silk and dope so still a lot of work ahead.

Quick Reply