Aug 07, 2021, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ETHOS OS in FrSky X12S

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone on here could give me step by step instructions to install the ETHOS OS on my FrSky X12S that currently has OpenTX as the operating system. I know you have to put an ISRM board in it but after that I don't know what to do. I'd like to save the OpenTX in case I don't like the ETHOS. Any help is really appreciated!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2021, 04:22 PM
Have you looked at the ETHOS thread here? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...73&postcount=3

Mike
Aug 07, 2021, 06:02 PM
📌📌📌📌📌📌
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopde_72 View Post
I'd like to save the OpenTX in case I don't like the ETHOS. Any help is really appreciated!
if you can't live without LUA scripts it's not worth trying it out. (by now)
Aug 07, 2021, 09:22 PM
Thread OP

Ethos

Coreless are you saying ETHOS isn't worth trying??
Aug 07, 2021, 09:49 PM
Thread OP

Ethos

Jet Flyer I've seen that thread. My problem is I'm not very computer literate and I just am not sure how to do certain things without some help. I'm trying to find step by step help, start to finish. I wish it was as easy as using OpenTX companion, hooking your tx to a USB cable and clicking a couple buttons.
Aug 08, 2021, 08:14 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopde_72
Jet Flyer I've seen that thread. My problem is I'm not very computer literate and I just am not sure how to do certain things without some help. I'm trying to find step by step help, start to finish. I wish it was as easy as using OpenTX companion, hooking your tx to a USB cable and clicking a couple buttons.
It actually is that easy, because one of the options for installing ETHOS is hooking the radio to OpenTX Companion and updating the Bootloader.

The only other aspects are prepping the SD card (download the card contents and put on a blank SD card) and adding the firmware (copy firmware.bin to the SD card you prepped, put it in the radio, then power on while holding the click-wheel down). All of this happens after you install the bootloader from Companion.
Aug 08, 2021, 11:04 AM
Thread OP

Ethos

Thanks for the info mawz! I saw a video where they were replacing the PARA wireless board too. Is that a necessary step with the X12S?
Aug 08, 2021, 04:19 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Thanks for the info mawz! I saw a video where they were replacing the PARA wireless board too. Is that a necessary step with the X12S?
No, it's not necessary. I've done the ISRM upgrade (necessary to get internal RF on an X12S rather than being limited to external modules only) but did not bother with the much more complex PARA upgrade.
Aug 08, 2021, 09:19 PM
Thread OP

firmware.bin

Hey maw. Where do I copy the firmware.bin from that needs to be put on the SD card?
Aug 08, 2021, 10:52 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Hey maw. Where do I copy the firmware.bin from that needs to be put on the SD card?
You get the firmware.bin file from the X12S-ISRM.zip file available from the ETHOS release page

Specifically you need 2 downloads from the 1.0.10 Assets section, Horus_SD.zip (the SD card files) and X12S-ISRM.zip (contains the firmware.bin file for your X12S).

https://github.com/FrSkyRC/ETHOS-Fee...unity/releases

You also need the bootloader to flash from Companion, which you can get from the links in post #3 of the ETHOS/X20 page
Aug 10, 2021, 07:53 PM
Thread OP

X12s

So I replaced the ACCESS (ISRM) board in my X12S. I tried powering the radio on after I got it back together. It won't power up now. Is this normal till you hook it to the computer? I don't think I hurt anything when I switched the board. I hope I didn't ruin it.
Aug 10, 2021, 08:00 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
So I replaced the ACCESS (ISRM) board in my X12S. I tried powering the radio on after I got it back together. It won't power up now. Is this normal till you hook it to the computer? I don't think I hurt anything when I switched the board. I hope I didn't ruin it.
NO, the radio should power on fine regardless of what OS is installed after the ISRM board is installed.

The OS install simply determines if you can actually get the ISRM to work without any OS changes.
Aug 10, 2021, 08:53 PM
Thread OP

X12s

Disregard the last post. The lipo plug wasn't seated. So I've got the board replaced, the 2 downloads on an SD card and the bootloader download. I need to put the SD card in the tx and hook it to my computer correct? I renamed the X12S-ISRM download to firmware.bin. I think I'm proceeding correctly. The tx not turning on kinda spooked me.
Aug 11, 2021, 08:11 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Disregard the last post. The lipo plug wasn't seated. So I've got the board replaced, the 2 downloads on an SD card and the bootloader download. I need to put the SD card in the tx and hook it to my computer correct? I renamed the X12S-ISRM download to firmware.bin. I think I'm proceeding correctly. The tx not turning on kinda spooked me.
The X12S-ISRM.zip download file needs to be unzipped, not renamed. It contains a firmware.bin file that can be put on the SD card once you've unzipped the file.

The SD card contents download also needs to be unzipped and copied to the SD card.

Then insert the SD card into the radio, plug the radio into the computer without turning the radio on and flash the Bootloader file to the radio from OpenTX Companion.

Quick Reply