This thread is privately moderated by UpNup, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 07, 2021, 01:30 PM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Discussion

Finishing a Wing - Scratchbuild B5N2 Kate

Just a quick report on finishing the 68" wingspan of my 1/9 scale Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" from scratch and my own plans. It has a .60 motor.
The wing took 60 hours and about eight weeks through the summer due largely to working on itmaybe 8 hours each week and having a vacation in there and a business trip, too.

Changes from the original plans:
1. Plastic horns were fabricated from old credit cards and an ID plastic card. These were wedged between hard balsa aileron rib ends.
2. The wing tie-downs were close to the plans, but bigger. Once I found the 1/4"-20X1" nylon bolts at Lowes, then I could see the original perspective was too small.
3. The servos I bought were huge compared to what I had originally planned. I had to reposition everything. And worst for me, I had to relocate the holes in the 1/8" thick light ply hatches. I also decided to epoxy the servos to the hatches. (I covered them with packing tape before gluing.)
4. The tongue for the wing to the fuse had to be redesigned since I'm keeping a central set of ribs to strengthen the wings.
5. The 8 degree dihedral on the wings was difficult to match left and right. I am within about 1/16" of an inch matching wing height.

One of the other slow-downs is that I'm trying to correct the plans as I go. At least every other week, I jump on the electronic version of the plans (done in PowerPoint) and make some tweak.

Building a plane from scratch is much more difficult that I had imagined. Creating a prototype is a "must" because no matter how good your idea might be, there could be (a) something better to do or (b) something in the way that you just couldn't anticipate.

Finally, even though I'm saying it's finished, I still have not covered the wing with 1/16" balsa sheeting. I plan to do the fuse and wing together. I'm holding off until nearly the end of the build to complete the flaps, even though the servos are in place.

Now on to the fuselage. It's a round fuse with no flat parts. What could go wrong, eh?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2021, 09:13 AM
yank and bank!!
Looks great!

Quick Reply