Aug 28, 2021, 09:58 PM
Enjoy, I’ve been using a MK3 for almost 4 years. If you haven’t already, go to Prusaprinters and that will give you almost all the answers to any question you might have. With 100,000+ MK3’s out there the support group is huge. If you can find someone close it will really cut your learning curve.

L.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2021, 02:22 PM
Lufo. I want to share my experience as I own 2 prusa MK2S and have personally designed 4 printed planes, and have printed models by other designers.

The prusa kit goes together fairly easily, and usually minimal effort to get base calibrations done for first layer calibration and printing settings. I am a fan of the auto bed-leveling. I have been using Slic3r Prusa Edition for all my slicing and printing.

When it comes to printing RC airframes, a small amount of effort is needed at the beginning to test print a part or 2 using the designers recommended settings, but after that it is mostly just slice/print/repeat. The great thing about the 3D printed Pilots sub-forum is that it is easy to get feedback and support.

As others have mentioned already, printing the parts is one thing, but then you have to assemble everything, rig control surfaces, and run the electronics. If you are comfortable with kit building then this shouldn't be much trouble. Even though the printer is somewhat small, you can print some large models with it.

Some pictures for inspiration. First plane I ever modeled and printed on my Prusa is a 2m wingspan A330-300. I have printed a 120mm EDF unit and used it in a 1/6.5 scale 3d printed L-39 designed by Lynxman on these forums, and my most recent design I made is a T-2A buckeye. All of these I printed on my prusa.
Oct 15, 2021, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Yeah, the Lulzbots were never cheap to begin with! The other drawback with them is they use 3mm filament, which isn't as commonly available as 1.75mm. But at least they were made here in North America.
Why are they so much more expensive than the Prusa i3? And can they not use 1.75mm filament at all? Why? Who uses 3mm filament?
Oct 15, 2021, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Flyer
Yea, the kit takes a long time to put together, about 8 hours, 10 if you are slow. I have assembled 3 so far and they all work great. That said, just like anything you do new there will be a learning curve. I will say that the MK3 kit I bought 3+ years ago is still going strong. I always ask one question of the people who have Chinese machines- how’s your factory support doing? The answer is what support?

L.
Why does it take so long? Ender 3 takes like half an hour. I am considering purchasing one and am unsure whether to get the kit or prebuilt. it would be nice to save some money, but I'm one of those people who see 3D printing as a means to an end and not its own project. Is it hard or just time consuming? I'm worried about screwing up the assembly and being left with a brick.
Oct 15, 2021, 10:37 PM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyersJet
Why are they so much more expensive than the Prusa i3? And can they not use 1.75mm filament at all? Why? Who uses 3mm filament?
The Taz had/has a much larger build area, and the 6 came with a PEI printing surface & autoleveling. At the time, none of those were common. I never investigated using 1.75mm filament in it, but I seem to recall the subject coming up in the Lulzbot forums. Short answer is I think it's possible... but may require mods.
Oct 19, 2021, 10:38 AM
The kit has one of the best manuals I have seen, both in video and print. It is not difficult and when you are done you have a good working knowledge of you machine.

L.
Oct 22, 2021, 07:53 PM
Ok thanks, I might buy the kit one day for the experience and learning.

Quick Reply