Got a bet going. What do you call this? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Apr 25, 2002, 09:28 PM
Registered User
Mike C's Avatar

Got a bet going. What do you call this?

Having a debate about what you call a triangular ruler. Has one corner at 90 degrees and the other at 45 degrees. I say it is called a triangle (simple huh?) My friend says it is called a speed square. I know speed squares are used in carpentry. I see this used in drafting a lot but have never heard a technical name before. Thanks for helping to settle this bet.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2002, 09:36 PM
Registered User
It's called a 45 degree triangle. The 'other' kind is a 30-60-90 degree triangle. Simple, huh??
Do you know what the other name for a (pair of) pliars is, you know the kind that has a slip joint? In the military, it's called a universal speed wrench (more trivia than you wanted to know).
Apr 25, 2002, 09:56 PM
Registered User
My $0.02.
If it's plastic and generally used on a drafting table, it's called a triangle; metal and used by carpenters, a speed square. Simple huh?
Apr 25, 2002, 10:05 PM
Tacoma, WA, USA
William A's Avatar
My bro says it aint a speed square unless it's got an lip on it.

With lip=speed square

Without lip=triangle
Apr 25, 2002, 10:09 PM
Registered User
Stregone's Avatar
I've never heard it called a speed square before, always simply 'a square'.
Apr 25, 2002, 10:31 PM
Registered User
Philipp's Avatar
A carpenters "SQUARE" is not a triangle or a square either, for that matter, it's an "L" shape.

I think that William A is correct with the lip-or- not value.

My 1.5 cents
Apr 25, 2002, 11:01 PM
Tacoma, WA, USA
William A's Avatar
.................................................. .................................................
Last edited by William A; Mar 03, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
Apr 25, 2002, 11:05 PM
Registered User
Mike C's Avatar
Thanks guys looks like I was closest to being right! I appreciate all of the quick responces. The lip part makes sense after you brought it up. I always said that the smartest folks on the net are right here
Apr 26, 2002, 02:58 AM
Single-task at best...
tim hooper's Avatar
It's a set-square over here

Apr 26, 2002, 05:48 AM
Registered User
Good point William. I hadn't thought about the lip.
Apr 26, 2002, 07:07 AM
Registered User
Guys,,,,,,guys,,,,,,,,,,,,it's a square.
Apr 26, 2002, 07:29 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
gnofliwr's Avatar
A square triangle?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Apr 26, 2002, 08:31 AM
Registered User
Guys,,,,,,guys,,,,,,,,,,,,it's a square.
Only if it's like the one in the picture. If it's plastic, used for drafting it's a triangle.
Isn't that an oxymoron?
Apr 26, 2002, 08:55 AM
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
I have that exact same triangular square.. it's a sqaure, no doubt..
Now this is silly..
Apr 26, 2002, 09:11 AM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
That's a set square.

Prime component of every schoolboy's geometry set along with the protractor, ruler and a set of compasses.