Aug 05, 2021, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Taranis Q X7S - Sailing Close Hauled

I race an RC sailboat with a Taranis Q X7S and use the throttle stick to trim the sail. Stick all the way down is “close hauled”, ie., boat sailing approx. 45 deg to the true wind direction. I’m looking for the best (most efficient, quickest) way to pull the sail in slightly from that position (to “point” closer to the true wind) or to let the sail out just a fraction (to “foot” off the close-hauled position). I can program in OpenTX I just don’t know if the best solution is a mix, or use a switch, or simply use the throttle stick and count clicks from one position to another. Any help is greatly appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2021, 01:53 PM
Welcome to RCG.

One simple solution would be to use the pot with the centre detent (S2) as a trimmer for the throttle range.

The screenshots below show S2 mixed to the Throttle at 10% weight and 10% offset. In that scenario, the trim range available with S2 is 80-100% with centre at 90%. The range is easily adjustable in the programming, of course, but you would need to physically adjust your linkages so that the centre trim position (90%) is to your liking. At that setting, I imagine you'd want the sail to be in the same physical position as at 0% throttle in your current setup.

No doubt there are other solutions, some possibly more elegant. Whatever you go with, you may consider an audible callout to alert you to the trim position when desired. The ideas posted here may give you a place to start.
Last edited by landru; Aug 13, 2021 at 02:00 PM.
Aug 16, 2021, 03:17 PM
Thread OP
I’ve been traveling and unable to reply until now. Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds good and will give it a try as soon as I am able. I’ll send feedback when I do. Thanks again.
Aug 18, 2021, 06:09 PM
Good stuff. Do let us know how you make out.
Aug 20, 2021, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
I made it work just as you suggested! I wasn’t very smooth in manipulating S2 and working the rudder stick on the same side so I tried a second time with S1 instead. With no detent, S1 may not be the best solution long term but I haven’t actually been out on the water yet to see. With this, I have another thought. Is there a way to adjust the sail (that extra 10% in or out) by using the Throttle stick? The sail would be in the close-hauled position with the Throttle all the way down and then moving the stick left or right would trim the sail in or let it out (say 10%). I guess that would be mixing the Rudder with the Throttle. Is that possible?
Aug 20, 2021, 05:07 PM
Just change the S1 to Rud and see how you like it.
Generally Rud selfcenters so you will have to hold the trim as you sail, which you may like...or not.

(You may decide that the weight of the mix should be increased.)
Last edited by Dean Church; Aug 20, 2021 at 06:57 PM.
Aug 20, 2021, 07:01 PM
That's a neat idea. I wonder if you could modify your rudder stick mechanism with a centre detent and ratchet. Or perhaps holding the trim is no big deal. I don't have a clue about RC sailing.

On the programming side, OpenTx provides the possibility to use the same stick for different functions. For example, some glider pilots use the throttle stick for both throttle and flaps (and optionally crow, too). I'm not sure that approach fits the sailing close hauled scenario, though. Plus, the programming can get complicated.

Quick Reply