Explorer 5 GPS 4.0M Electric Sailplane

The NAN Explorer 5 GPS 4.0M is optimized for “GPS-Triangle-racing” and is a solid choice to get into the discipline.

Splash

Great Sailplane for GPS Triangle Racing

I haven't been able to try GPS racing yet, but from what I've heard from Peter Goldsmith, it sounds like a whole lot o fun. The NAN Explorer 5 GPS 4.0M is optimized for “GPS-Triangle-racing” and is a solid choice to get into the discipline. It has an RF friendly nose for telemetry systems used in GPS racing and extra ballast tubes in the wings to dial in the weight and get more speed. Here's more from Soaring USA, who is the exclusive dealer for the Explorer 5 GPS in USA.

Whether scratching for altitude in light lift conditions or speeding through sink to the next thermal, Explorer 5 GPS gives you a BIG advantage!

State-of-the-art construction methods combined with maximum airfoil camber flexibility and efficiency, plus Explorer's sleek, low drag airframe optimized for “GPS-Triangle-racing” combine to make this Soaring USA exclusive sailplane impossible to beat! The Explorer GPS has a 2.4 friendly nose cone and additional ballast tubes in the wing.

Wing is IDS friendly and wing servos are moved as close to the center of the wing as possible to improve handling of the plane at low altitudes when it matters the most to work out tight thermals. Weight savings are mostly achieved in construction of the wing and amount of material used. The model is suitable for F5J and GPS racing use.

The kit is supplied with:

• Carbon fuselage, 2.4 friendly nose
  • Fully molded composite wing panels
  • Solid core composite tail
  • Full accessory pack

Suggested Equipment:

• Motor: NeuMotor 1105/3Y/5.8 (P22)
  • ESC: YGE 65A
  • Battery: Tattu Battery 1300mAh 3S 75C Lipo
  • Spinner: GM 30/6mm Spinner
  • Prop: GM 17x10 Prop.
  • Cover: Explorer Covers 4.0 V-Tail

Check out the Explorer 5 GPS 4.0 Here

Last edited by Jason Cole; Aug 05, 2021 at 03:30 PM..
Aug 05, 2021, 01:36 PM
Hi
Nice description and a good packet of information, but I would recommend removing the sentence "The model is suitable for F5J use only", to keep GPS enthusiasts still interested in it
Aaro
Aug 05, 2021, 02:25 PM

Explorer 5 GPS 4.0M

How does this Explores 5 GPS 4.0M, F5J fit in with the latest FAA 'Drone' , weight, altitude etc. regulations?
How much Li battery capacity can be fitted in the fuselage? and still balanced?
Aug 05, 2021, 03:04 PM
Aaro, the F5J reference was I suspect in comparison to an F3J wing capable of withstanding a winch launch. The GPS version will be based upon the lighter F5J spar system and could dual as an F5J model but not an F3J model.
Aug 05, 2021, 11:59 PM
Yes I know, but in this context it might be feasible just mention that X5 is not suitable for towing.

Edit: The referred text seems to be copy-paste from the one concerning Explorer Q, and there are small flaws... Eg. the wing servos are not moved to center, at least not in my glider Anyway, it is a nice glider. The start altitude shown in attached picture was just flown this morning in 1 m/s wind/15 C temperature, at flying weight 1800 g. This tells mainly about the fact that although not optimised to F5J, X5 can still be trimmed to behave quite nicely for low/slow circling. Here is something more about Explorer5
Aaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp250
Aaro, the F5J reference was I suspect in comparison to an F3J wing capable of withstanding a winch launch. The GPS version will be based upon the lighter F5J spar system and could dual as an F5J model but not an F3J model.
Last edited by Aaro; Aug 06, 2021 at 01:49 AM.

Quick Reply