Jul 18, 2005, 11:04 AM
Thread OP

Building the Dumas L-19 This Time, From the Kit....

The opportunity came up to build a slightly modified L-19, but this time, it's going to be build from the kit. Skies will be added, as well as a pair of elevator fins, and a real cool color scheme.

At this point, the fuselage frame has been completed. There were no mods here, and so far the assembly has gone together flawlessly, without any of the fit problems encountered on the first two builds. For that reason alone, the wait was well worth it while the Guys at Dumas fined tuned the design.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2005, 11:08 AM
Thread OP

Installing the Control Sustem

The servos are in and the pushrods installed. The kit supplied standoffs are used to support the (also kit provided) pushrod tube.
The motor mount plate has been glued into the fuselage, but I wont mount the motor until final assembly.
Jul 18, 2005, 11:11 AM
Thread OP

Building the Wing

Wing construction began with the outer wing panel. With the outer panels complete, the center section and inner panels will be built. Do to the way the wing tapers from mid span out to the tip, it needs to be built in sections.
There wil be lots more to came as progress allows.
PAT
Jul 18, 2005, 02:33 PM
Hi pat
it looks great so far
Jul 18, 2005, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
Raptor, Sounds good, I had all that done on Thursday last week, just couldn't get to getting it posted till today. Things are going well, hope to have all the framing done this week.
PAT
Jul 18, 2005, 06:33 PM
looks great!
Jul 18, 2005, 06:33 PM
no ailerons I see
Jul 18, 2005, 06:49 PM
Neophyte hacker
Or flaps

OTOH, I have a wing with both Pat. Since the fuse is dinged?!?!

charlie
Jul 20, 2005, 08:22 AM
Thread OP

Framing is About Done

Finished the wing and got the tail section framed yesterday. Yeah, it's going to be 3 channel but don't worry, I'll line the ailerons on and the whole time it's flying we can pretend
Now that the framing and rough shaping is done, the motor can be mounted, then get the tail section hinged up, detail sanded and ready fore cover. The L-19 should start looking like an airplane real soon.
PAT
Jul 20, 2005, 07:20 PM
beautiful as usual pat-

hey -I just got a Bird Dog L-19 Also!!

so needless to say i will be not only following this with interest --i will be making one at the same time too..

great photos of the build--i have been trying the bowing patterns and got the hang of it no problem--they are really light weight too

Tim
Last edited by ZRS4; Jul 20, 2005 at 07:26 PM.
Jul 22, 2005, 10:13 AM
Thread OP

The Bird Dog is Ready to Cover

All the framing is done now, the R/C and Drive System is installed, and but for a bit of detail sanding is ready for cover.
Jul 22, 2005, 10:21 AM
Thread OP

An Additional Detail

The airplane being modeled is a Canadian Bushplane, rigged for both floats and skis. Part of the float set up is the additional vertical fins in the horizontal tail. The fins were made up from a 1/64 ply core with 1/32 balsa on both sides. After the cover is on, the fins will be glued to the horizontal stab, then the elevator will be hinged.
Jul 22, 2005, 10:24 AM
Thread OP

Decals

The decals on this one are simpple in that it's only the registration numbers and the Bumble Bee on the rudder. The color scheme is really cool though. I'll post a photo of the full size airplane as soon as I can get it scanned.
PAT
Jul 22, 2005, 11:34 AM
i really like the tail mod pat-also i saw in my kit that the new wheels have sturdy card stock center that looks very convenient for covering and super light--was that your idea?
Jul 22, 2005, 11:47 AM
Neophyte hacker
Kinda. From what I can tell it was like this. Pat had a conversation with Dumas about their plastic wheels (ugh!). Dumas said they'd look into an alternative. Then they fed off of each other until they came up with something that was useful and simple to produce (Dumas has a nice screw machine that sits around a lot, mainly used for boat parts). The end result is a really nice little wheel. Congrats to Dumas and Pat.

charlie

Quick Reply