Aug 01, 2021, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Plane

Hi guys , i have been flying fpv drones for 2 years and i decided i wanted to buy something new. So i decided to get a plane. I really want to get a 3D plane and maybe i can start learning the basics and then start doing aerobatics since i have some experience with aerobatics from fpv drones or should i get a stable plane? I can pay around 300 dollars it doesn't have to be an rtf plane since i already have a radio and some batteries. What im thinking of buying is an FMS kingfisher 1400mm or an FMS ranger 1800mm.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2021, 09:10 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Most would say don't start with a 3D plane...it will be in pieces before you learn to control it.

But if that's the way you want to go, I'd suggest the cheapest 32" EPP profile you can find with cheap components and let it crash. Nothing you can't fix. A smashed FMS anything will likely be unrepairable unless major spares are available...and even then a ton of work.

Cheap 3D kits can be purchased from RACores, WestMichiganParkFlyers and FancyFoam. Stay in the 32"-class. Smaller will be harder to fly and larger will have little advantage but cost more and use more expensive components

Use motors and escs that are under $10 and servos under $5. Something like a 2204/1500kv with a 9" slow flyer prop. And a 400 to 500 mah 2S battery with a decent C rating. Buy a spare of everything -- you'll thank me later.

The above should keep your initial investment very low and make for cheap rebuilds as necessary. Before exploring 3D, start with very moderate throws on the surfaces and learn to fly it just as a tame trainer. And then grow with it. For your purposes I recommend hot glue because it's fast and will get you back in the air in no time. Your next plane can be more expensive and capable. By then you'll know a lot more.
Last edited by hard line; Aug 01, 2021 at 09:40 AM.
Aug 01, 2021, 03:23 PM
Recreational Model Plane Pilot
https://twistedhobbys.com/ has some fun planes like that too.
Aug 01, 2021, 04:37 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
They do...and they're excellent. I have three. But they're more expensive and not so robust as what I had in mind. I have a WMPF McFoamy which is cheap, heavy duty thick EPP, and while it doesn't perform to the same level as TH, I think it's much sturdier, repairable and well capable of performing better than a beginner pilot will need. Once skilled, and most of your newbi crashes behind you, TH would be a fine choice.

Quick Reply