This thread is privately moderated by returntohome, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 24, 2021, 01:16 AM
Thread OP
The finnished prototype 😍 Just need to film it running in the lake, film to follow. I had to upgrade the motor mount to aluminium for strength. Also had to coat and paint the gearbox to make it waterproof. I have designed the next gearbox for outboard number two but the rest will stay the same.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2021, 01:34 AM
Thread OP
Ran well enough to get some filming, but you will see from the film it's still work in progress. First thing is to lower the outboard by 5mm , let's find that sweet spot. The weight of the outboard 1kg is keeping the nose high, again there must be a perfect spot for the two batteries. Maybe I could make a lightweight outboard, the shafts could be aluminium instead of stainless steel, and the printed parts could have lower infill. Just thinking out loud, a small saving here and there could add up. I might use aluminium for the vertical shaft on the next gearbox and keep the prop shaft in stainless steel for strength. Another small saving will be a smaller motor, and doing away with the thrust bearing.
Nov 30, 2021, 12:51 AM
Thread OP
So the prototype has shown there is a problem which is difficult to overcome, namely the prop is shielded by the gearbox. So one radical solution is to move the prop to the front to create the new puller gearbox.
Still needs the fin adding, but this will be the puller gearbox with the prop at the front. The prototype needs to be stripped down to get the parts out, which will be interesting to see how the gears are holding up. My guess is they will be ok, I am going to glue everything into one half of the casing then when dry I will use a flexible sealant to fix the other side. No need for a bush to push against instead the gear will be held in place by a spacer which butts up to the front bearing.
Second solution will be tried on outboard 2 which will be conventional pusher type with an aluminium pointed nose cone, hopefully this might stop the blowout which occurs just after the initial surge when setting off. If that doesn't work I will have to source some smaller gears so I can reduce the diameter of the barrel. Lots of work to get on with during the winter months 😅
Dec 01, 2021, 05:29 AM
Thread OP
The gears are holding up nicely. Messy job stripping the gearbox, i think it served its purpose.
I will paint the inside and outside of the next gearbox to give it some protection also I will print at 100 percent and use a much stronger pla.

Quick Reply