Jul 30, 2021, 06:53 PM
Build Fly Crash - Start Again!
Thread OP
Discussion

Turn On Turn Off - That's the question

A recent RC Club decision was that all aircraft after landing, the pilot must first disconnect the the BATTERY, prior to bringing the plane back into the PITS. They believe that this is the safest method to return the plane to the pits.

Others believe that by turning off the TX first that the plane is completely harmless IF fail safe is set correctly. Then return the plane to the pits and then disconnect the battery.

My understanding from reading the manuals is TX on FIRST, TX off LAST.
And depending upon the radio....
So TX on, Throttle cut disabled, Connect battery, test surfaces, throttle cut abled, carry plane to runway, throttle cut disabled, Fly plane.
After landing, throttle cut abled, carry plane to pits, disconnect battery, TX off.

There is obvious disagreement on this new procedure, of disconnecting the battery on the runway.
Some planes have the battery inserted from the bottom, so removing the battery while on the taxi way will be disruptive to others wanting to takeoff.
We don't allow 72 mhz radios anymore, so 2.4ghz systems instructions for the most part are TX on first TX off last.

We also have rules and a checklist to follow that a safety officer must inspect the plane, including failsafe and low power testing. Failsafe must be set with the motor OFF.

So with 2.4ghz systems, is there any possibility that with the TX off that the motor might arm and start turning?
With the proper failsafe systems in place, is disconnecting the battery before returning to the pits truly required?

Thoughts?
Last edited by onewonders; Jul 30, 2021 at 06:54 PM. Reason: bad english
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2021, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewonders
A recent RC Club decision was that all aircraft after landing, the pilot must first disconnect the the BATTERY, prior to bringing the plane back into the PITS. They believe that this is the safest method to return the plane to the pits.
Probably the safest way to return the plane to the pits , but would not be the safest method to
get to the safest method by having to remove the battery on the runway or where ever you might land.

Quote:
Others believe that by turning off the TX first that the plane is completely harmless IF fail safe is set correctly. Then return the plane to the pits and then disconnect the battery.
This idea I don't like at all . You would be relying on a secondary safety method rather than the primary control.

I think a safe way would be after the plane is on the ground if it small enough to carry then carry it to the pits or a designate area and remove the battery. In the case of a plane to large to carry secure it and take it to the pits or the designated area.
Jul 31, 2021, 12:19 AM
most exalted one
What is unsafe about picking it up, carrying it back, put it in a secure condition...tail held or something, disconnect battery. Ensure everyone has throttle cut and uses it. Glad we are a small group and don't need your club rules.
Turning off the tx is a bad idea.
Jul 31, 2021, 12:45 AM
Thread OP
Thanks PilotPin good input.
4*60 not all good intentions are bad. The group means well. They could be right.
What’s important is for decisions to be made with actual engineering specifications.
We can’t be making decisions on what we believe- we need facts.
I’m hoping some software/hardware engineers pipe in so I can go back with the facts.
Last edited by onewonders; Jul 31, 2021 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Jul 31, 2021, 05:08 AM
most exalted one
Well I was a Senior Software Development Engineer and I would say turning the TX off first is very bad.
Last edited by 4*60; Jul 31, 2021 at 05:22 AM.
Jul 31, 2021, 06:11 AM
Quote:

My understanding from reading the manuals is TX on FIRST, TX off LAST.
And depending upon the radio....
So TX on, Throttle cut disabled, Connect battery, test surfaces, throttle cut abled, carry plane to runway, throttle cut disabled, Fly plane.
After landing, throttle cut abled, carry plane to pits, disconnect battery, TX off.

There is obvious disagreement on this new procedure, of disconnecting the battery on the runway.
Some planes have the battery inserted from the bottom, so removing the battery while on the taxi way will be disruptive to others wanting to takeoff.
We don't allow 72 mhz radios anymore, so 2.4ghz systems instructions for the most part are TX on first TX off last.

We also have rules and a checklist to follow that a safety officer must inspect the plane, including failsafe and low power testing. Failsafe must be set with the motor OFF.

So with 2.4ghz systems, is there any possibility that with the TX off that the motor might arm and start turning?
With the proper failsafe systems in place, is disconnecting the battery before returning to the pits truly required?

Thoughts?
As long as there is an area safely off the runway to disconnect before entering the pit area probably acceptable.
I assume you can't connect the battery in the pits either, otherwise the rule is inconsistent with safety.

TX off and rely on failsafe, definitely not acceptable.
Jul 31, 2021, 09:40 AM
treefinder
While I don't fly in busy club fields where I expect this discussion is most critical. I heartily agree that TX off last is the one scenario that leaves open the most opportunities for disaster. One is relying on too many things to have been done right. Pilot engaging failsafe, failsafe properly set with motor off, firmware glitches not happening, signal loss or corruption not happening (granted these last two are unlikely, but based on threads here in rcg apparently possible).

Certainty motoring plane to edge of runway and removing battery would seem to be the safest action. Belly landers won't be able to do that, of course, so securing and moving plane to area where batt can be removed is appropriate.
Jul 31, 2021, 10:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
Well I was a Senior Software Development Engineer and I would say turning the TX off first is very bad.
Thanks 4*60 is there any documentation available?
Jul 31, 2021, 02:04 PM
Other than walking back to the pits carrying the plane with the propeller spinning I don't think there's a much worse idea than turning off the radio first to rely on many other variables working properly.
Jul 31, 2021, 05:00 PM
most exalted one
To quote one Spektrum radio manual.......
It is important to learn the proper sequence for switching ON/
OFF your radio system:
BEFORE OPERATION: Switch on the transmitter, then the receiver.
AFTER OPERATION: Switch off the receiver, then the transmitter.
This ensures that you will always have a signal to the receiver,
and your R/C model will not operate out of control when you
turn off the transmitter
Aug 01, 2021, 03:36 AM
Julian T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
Other than walking back to the pits carrying the plane with the propeller spinning I don't think there's a much worse idea than turning off the radio first to rely on many other variables working properly.
While I agree with the general opinion that it is tx on/rx on and rx off/tx off I think there are more 'variables' involved with the tx on than when it is off. When off (and rx is on) failsafe will happen assuming it has been set. If it doesn't the ultimate safety fallback has failed. With tx on (and rx on) the tx could be dropped with unpredicatable results, the throttle stick could be nudged with predictable results, there could be a tx failure which means you are back to your airborne f/s system. It's a good idea to check your f/s regularly too - I do. I have yet to witness a f/s 'failure when the system was properly set in the first place.
Aug 01, 2021, 02:38 PM
We're advised to consider the prop to be spinning for the whole time the battery is connected. Tx on, tx off, makes no difference to this concept, the battery should be disconnected as soon as safely possible after flying.
Aug 01, 2021, 11:12 PM
Thread OP
Just as many divergent opinion!
But all seem reasonable.

BunnyStrafer yours is the most reasonable. We either turn off the TX (ensuring FS is active w/throttle off) OR we leave TX with Throttle Cut on BUT ensure no switches can be switched on inadvertently

But most important always assume it wants to cut you or someone else, get it to the pits and remove the battery.
Aug 01, 2021, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Just as many divergent opinion!
But all seem reasonable.

BunnyStrafer yours is the most reasonable. We either turn off the TX (ensuring FS is active w/throttle off) OR we leave TX with Throttle Cut on BUT ensure no switches can be switched on inadvertently

But most important always assume it wants to cut you or someone else, get it to the pits and remove the battery.
Anyone turning off the TX first at our field would immediately be given a safety lecture, regardless of failsafe or whatever.
Aug 01, 2021, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
lexm,
Thanks for the input.
That procedure TX on first TX off last is a leftover from the 72mhz ages.

Do any of your members still use 72?

Quick Reply