Jul 29, 2021, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

DYO-X2000 Control Line Airplane

I posted this earlier, but in the wrong spot.

Back in 1957, Eddie Pope & Company sold a DYO-X1000 aluminum flying wind model airplane. From poking around on the internet, it looks like this plane may be something of a collector's item. Eddie Pope was my dad, and I have one DYO-X1000 and two DYO-X2000s (the 2000 is larger) that I recently found in storage. I think they are all used, but in good condition (the DYO-1000 has a few minor dents, but I don't see any dents in the others - I have no idea about whether the motors work). I only have one box, and it's kind of beat up, but still shows all the relevant info. I have two sets of instructions, and one provided string.

I would like to sell these, but have no idea what they are worth (or, for that matter, how to sell them other than eBay). I did find one old (2015) add offering to sell one DYO-X1000 for $499, but it had an intact box.

Attached is a picture of one of the DYO-X2000s (in jpg).

Does anyone have any idea what these would be worth, or how I might find that out.
Last edited by John Pope; Jul 30, 2021 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2021, 07:49 PM
I remember this one; the wheels were the same used on pinewood derby cars of the period too!

I don't know what they are worth but I remember my mom's friend giving me one of the smaller ones to work on and get flying for her grandson or nephew back in the mid-seventies.

A tank mounted Babe .049 was installed on the firewall in place of the original engine and it was flown a few times until I flew it into a sign post. The LE was terribly dented and I was embarrassed to tell her I had ruined it.

I still have the Fury with a missing glow head and the cowl enclosure that's .012" aluminum.
Jul 30, 2021, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Ha!! Great story, sorry about the sign post. Thanks for sharing that.
Aug 01, 2021, 04:31 AM

Family history .....

..... why wouldnt you want to keep them? But then again, to let someone who really wants one have one I lguess thats cool too. sell it on ebay, with a high reserve, that way only someone who wants it bad enough to shell out the big bucks ... well ... (catch my drift?) Laramie.
Aug 01, 2021, 12:14 PM
I remember the canopy being clear and the cowl does not have the flames on the remains I have, so I believe these are customizations to the original design.

Also, I don't remember stripes on the elevator ( X1000) -

I do remember the fascination of being able to fly a model airplane made of real metal: agreeing with Lmoreau - why not keep those you have - if you can fly, they'd be a treat to see demoed at any fly-in - especially all shined up with polishing compound!

I wonder if a guy with good PDR skills could take the dents out of the small one you say has a few...

Have you found any patterns or forms in storage that your dad may have used in his business to cut and bend the parts to make them?

Also wondering what "DYO" may have stood for and are willing to share -

Note that the engine in my pic of those parts I failed to return has a Cox glow head in place of original -

Thanks for sharing -
Last edited by Skydrewl; Aug 01, 2021 at 12:54 PM. Reason: correction; addition
Sep 07, 2021, 05:02 PM
Thread OP
The planes were produced for my dad by another company, DY-O-Plastics, Inc. So they had the molds and that's where the "DYO" came from. The original engine is a .049 K & B Allyn Sky Fury Deluxe Engine (according to the box). You are right, the box doesn't show the stripes on the elevator or the flames on the flames on the cowl, so I guess the one I have was customized.

Quick Reply