This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 29, 2021, 12:33 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Gallery

Costa Mesa Electric Flying Field - Permanent Closure

This is how the Costa Mesa Electric Flying Field looks like after one year of closure ...

The environmental activists running the CM Fairview Park commission managed to get the field closed, claiming it affected birds and wildlife.

Now the city of CM (113,159 people according to 2019 census) has no more opportunity for RC plane flying, or any other recreational activity - except bird and wildlife watching

The pictures below, taken last week on 7/12/2021 around noon, show how well used this resource has become ...

The complete closure - except the above listed activities - affects around 208 acres, the overall size of Fairview Park :

https://www.costamesaca.gov/residents/fairview-park

The pictures below show how the environmentalist activists managed to turn this beautiful field into what is largely an environmental wasteland ...

Note that not a single soul is to be seen walking around, at least not when I was there.

Last edited by Herb; Jul 29, 2021 at 12:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2021, 12:41 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
A couple more pics to show how Fairview Park wildlife was affected by our flying activities

Last edited by Herb; Jul 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM.
Jul 29, 2021, 12:50 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
April 21 2021 article in LA Times :

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...iatus-extended

Fairview Park Steering committee :

https://www.costamesaca.gov/city-hal...ring-committee

Club of environmental activists to "preserve" Fairview park :

https://www.fairviewparkalliance.org/

Not much on that webpages except :

"We are on a mission to restore, preserve, and protect Fairview Park in Costa Mesa, CA for present and future generations."

Last edited by Herb; Aug 01, 2021 at 04:04 PM.
Jul 29, 2021, 12:54 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The field and Fairview Park are located about 1/2 mile from the Pacific Ocean, here's an aerial view of it , it's mostly what could be described as "preserved wasteland" .

Surrounded on all sides by residential areas, and two schools.

Jul 29, 2021, 12:55 PM
If I am not mistaken also in Usa planes below 250 gr (about 9 onces) are cosidered toys and are not subjected to any restriction. If it is true you could fly anywhere "You" judge possible.
If it is true visit my blog and lawrence4 blog where you can find example of such type of planes.
Jul 29, 2021, 05:02 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Hai ragione, ma sono troppo piccoli per me !
Jul 29, 2021, 05:32 PM
Secondo me il problema non dovrebbe essere la dimensione ( più piccoli = voli più vicino) ma la prestazione. Se vuoi puoi anche volare 140+ m/h (220+ km/h) stando sotto i 250 gr., oppure fare acrobazia decente. E comunque meglio volare con uno piccolo che non volare per niente.

I think that the problem shouldn't be size (smaller=fly closer) but performance. If you want you can fly at 140+ mph (220+km/h) being lighter than 250 gr., or making decent pattern flights. Anyway better flying with a small plane than not flying at all.
Last edited by eagle60; Jul 30, 2021 at 11:04 PM.
Jul 31, 2021, 09:00 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
April 21 2021 article in LA Times :

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...iatus-extended
MOST depressing article I've EVER read!!! I hope you guys find a new flying site. Have you considered El Dorado Silent Flyers, Carson Field, or SULA (San Pedro)?
Jul 31, 2021, 03:39 PM
El Dorado is at 400 feet max, SULA (Field of Dreams soccer field) is at 400 feet max. Carson Field? Where is it? The folks at SULA threw out the sailplane guys. The lady who runs the “Fairview Park Alliance” is a real piece of work, she had lied many many times to the HSS folks saying she has no problem with them but has undercut them too many times to count. I have flown steadily at the HSS site since the 1978, and if it wasn’t for the HSS club the whole site would be a paved parking lot. This is the thanks HSS gets. Do I have an axe to grind? You better believe it.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Aug 03, 2021, 06:15 PM
new Biplaner to be 04 2013
So sad!

All of it!

Hope you guys can find another place.
Maybe there is a privat landowner thät yôu could approach.

That worked fôr me.
There are still decent people around us.

Good luck.
CCC
Aug 03, 2021, 11:23 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
El Dorado is at 400 feet max, SULA (Field of Dreams soccer field) is at 400 feet max. Carson Field? Where is it? The folks at SULA threw out the sailplane guys. The lady who runs the “Fairview Park Alliance” is a real piece of work, she had lied many many times to the HSS folks saying she has no problem with them but has undercut them too many times to count. I have flown steadily at the HSS site since the 1978, and if it wasn’t for the HSS club the whole site would be a paved parking lot. This is the thanks HSS gets. Do I have an axe to grind? You better believe it.
Carson Field is on the the north side of Carson St., just east of Santa Fe Ave., west of the 710 freeway. Viewed from Google Maps, it looks like an ex-golf driving-range. The lady who caused HSS's doom needs to have her cause ruined, too.
Aug 03, 2021, 11:26 PM
Seems like all the discussion is about the electric flying field. What about slope soaring on the bluff? Is that a no no also? This is where I learned to slope soar in the 80s. Is the sign still there on the edge explaining / promoting slope soaring and how people come from around the world to slope soar here. I am sure glad Irvine and Aliso Viejo are friendly to slope soaring and electrics.
Aug 03, 2021, 11:32 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Try dsdrasko@gmail.com Carson Field is on the the north side of Carson St., just east of Santa Fe Ave., west of the 710 freeway. 1301 W. Carson St. Long Beach. Viewed from Google Maps, it looks like an ex-golf driving-range. The lady who caused HSS's doom needs to have her cause ruined, too. Sorry for the duplicate.
Aug 03, 2021, 11:35 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf
Seems like all the discussion is about the electric flying field. What about slope soaring on the bluff? Is that a no no also? This is where I learned to slope soar in the 80s. Is the sign still there on the edge explaining / promoting slope soaring and how people come from around the world to slope soar here. I am sure glad Irvine and Aliso Viejo are friendly to slope soaring and electrics.
Try Bluff Park off Ocean Blvd. @Redondo Ave. in Long Beach.
Aug 04, 2021, 09:21 AM
I fly Bluff Park every Monday. Fairview park is in my backyard, I still throw a glider off the bluff now and then after work.

Quick Reply