Aug 27, 2021, 12:02 PM
Sweet Design looks great
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2021, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang
I have not yet built the Vaiana, but have happily pawed around it and spread out the drawings etc., etc. It is true 3rd-generation, with an all-wood wing (no carbon spar) and the leading edge is sheeted, at least on top. Mine is an early version, and has a feature that some purists think disqualifies it from F3RES, but if you get a current kit from Hyperflight, yours will be just fine.
We have just received a consignment of these models and IMO they are not 3rd generation any longer. The kits just received have nice tapered carbon booms for the wing spar and tail boom, a very well engineered wing with three riblets between each full rib, ballast tubes built into the wing root, pull-spring operated tail surfaces, 3D printed parts, etc, etc.

https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=VIANA

Regards, Neil
Oct 14, 2021, 04:35 PM
I was lusting after the Viana's beautiful elliptical planform too, but the DJAerotech Monarch Ascension has the same lines, and is available, and it has a V-tail, which I like. It is more work to build than say, a Yellow Jacket, but it looks like being a great performer. The two planes are currently the only 2m RES kits available from US producers, although the Tetra is coming along. You couldn't get two more different approaches to the sport and the rules than the YJ and the MA. Each has its merits. Neither has significant drawbacks.

Looks like the Tetra has its own design philosophy. All great designs Why pay for overseas shipment costs and delays?
Oct 14, 2021, 06:45 PM
Wow! I am impressed with what Neil is showing. This is a real step up from the kit I have (and sadly, still have not built!)

As for shipping delays, I haven't ordered from Neil in over a year, but past deliveries from the UK have typically been on the order of days. Not months, not weeks, but - days. My best time was when I emailed Neil on a Sunday, and the shipment arrived the following Thursday.

Yours, Greg
Oct 15, 2021, 03:50 PM
I looked at the stock. 2 pure. One electric. Shared the link w a couple like minded flyers. Went back to grab the electric. Gone. To a Ďmateí.
Rookie mistake. Buy then share!! Iím on back order for an electric. Itís a sweet looking bird for sure.

This is what my mate sent me when I told him the electro was gone. Sigh. Great service as usual from Neil.
Last edited by gliderguide; Oct 15, 2021 at 06:00 PM.
Oct 15, 2021, 05:30 PM
I have ordered an Electro version of the Vaiana from Neil at Hyperflight excellent service as usual. will let you all now how it builds
Oct 15, 2021, 06:09 PM
Yeah sorry Ian..... In my defence....... Urrr Aaaah..... I wanted it?......
I'll also let you know how it builds......
Neil sent it within 10mins..... Top tier service for sure.....

Regards
Michael
Melbourne
Oct 16, 2021, 07:13 PM
I've got a few things lying around for my next build..... I'm Hoping the kit from the UK arrives on the other side of the planet in good condition.
Oct 16, 2021, 08:07 PM
That looks like a pretty good start mate!! Be interested in how that power system goes for the estimated weigh.
Oct 17, 2021, 07:08 AM
Anyone know what size spinner it takes
Oct 18, 2021, 07:13 AM
Michael's light and small power system might be better suited to the glider version. I think the glider noseblock was about 30mm wide x 32mm high.

I didn't get a chance to measure the electric version nose size but I believe the spinner size is 32mm diameter.

I have more Viana on order but no ETA yet.

Neil
Last edited by Neil Stainton; Oct 21, 2021 at 06:27 AM.
Oct 18, 2021, 02:48 PM
I'm guessing by the numbers on Hyperflight that this is the motor that is currently recommended on the viana.
Oct 18, 2021, 03:41 PM
200 w will be a bit more sprightly I think. Mind you, if your local guys are running w the other unit, in similar planes, maybe worth a try, given you have it in hand….

I’ve got one of these that I’m itching to try in something.
https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/produc...27g-3650-rpm-v
Oct 18, 2021, 03:47 PM
Neil has way too many nice toys...
Oct 18, 2021, 04:32 PM
Iím doing my best to remedy this for himÖ

Quick Reply