Jul 28, 2021, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

JETI DS16 vs IX20SE build quality, gimbals

Considering either a DS16 or an IX20SE as a significant upgrade over the older Spektrum gear I’ve got and had in the past. Seems like the big beef with IX20 was the gimbal quality that is addressed with SE albeit with a $300 up cost. Bearing mind both radios are in the $1700-1800 range who has the best overall build quality and specifically are the gimbals equivalent?

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2021, 10:24 PM
Where I am coming from. I fly Jeti. Spektrum it big at our field. I have felt the IX20SE

IMO, no one can touch Jeti quality, including gimbals. So if the gimbals are what you are looking for, then look no further.

But honestly I feel this should not be the deciding factor. To me how the radio feels in my hands is more important. For example, Every time I flew with a Futaba radio my hands would cramp up. While still a great radio I flet that the gimbals were in the wrong place for me. Jeti feels fine to me, but not the best. Spektrum feels better than Jeti. I chose Jeti because I got a great deal on a brand new, unused radio. I'm glad I have it and would not trade it for anything. I hear some people say that they have problems with their Jeti but I have yet to experience anything bad with mine, and I am on my 3rd year flying it without a hiccup.
Jul 29, 2021, 01:42 AM
Julian T
I have held both and owned neither. I agree with wildnloose. I don't think many unbiased observers would think Spektrum is in the same quality league as Jeti for physical hardware. However, as he observes, it also matters how a set feels in your hands, and how easily you can adapt to their very different programming conventions. I actually find Jeti uncomfortable to hold and that is my main gripe against them. Touch and feel matters imo. As for the gimbals, you can drool over them at the dining table but all quality gimbals will feel fine once you are flying with them; your fingers matter far more!
Jul 29, 2021, 05:28 AM
I held a jeti and own an ix20. Jeti wins build quality, but I have to say that from all the radios I held, the ix20 feels the best. And in my opinion the ix20´s (plastic) case feels very solid and if you look at internal photos it looks very well-built. It also depends on if you are happy with your old spektrum equipment or not, coming from a DX radio the programming will be very familiar.
Jul 29, 2021, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsJr
Bearing mind both radios are in the $1700-1800 range.
The IX20SE (plastic casing) made in Asia retails for 1980 EUR while the DS16 V2 is fully made in Czechia for only 1649 EUR.

Here you can see who is stealing your money....

Neither for me, one is to large with yet unexpected Android crashes and the other one is too heavy and cold for winter days.
Jul 29, 2021, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal
The IX20SE (plastic casing) made in Asia retails for 1980 EUR while the DS16 V2 is fully made in Czechia for only 1649 EUR.

Here you can see who is stealing your money....

Neither for me, one is to large with yet unexpected Android crashes and the other one is too heavy and cold for winter days.
He is in the US, so the jeti is a bit more expensive and the spektrum is cheaper.
Jul 29, 2021, 10:57 AM
Odd one this as I've held and felt a few JETI transmitters and I've always thought the gimbals/sticks felt awful. My DX9, QX7 and X10S feel far superior.
Jul 29, 2021, 03:53 PM
Jeti gimbals have 9 bearings each. Spektrum IX20SE has 4.
Jul 29, 2021, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the feedback. For me I don’t fly the super high end stuff like turbines, 40% scale, full house gliders etc. I do however place a high value on good quality. When spending $1700 or $2500ish in the case of the JETI (I need 6 rxs) the. A few $100s either way in the base TX is not important. Just don’t want buyers remorse for the total purchase. Unfortunately the nature of these beasts are I don’t have the luxury of sampling them first hand.
Jul 29, 2021, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. For me I don’t fly the super high end stuff like turbines, 40% scale, full house gliders etc. I do however place a high value on good quality. When spending $1700 or $2500ish in the case of the JETI (I need 6 rxs) the. A few $100s either way in the base TX is not important. Just don’t want buyers remorse for the total purchase. Unfortunately the nature of these beasts are I don’t have the luxury of sampling them first hand.
Actually you do, at least from JETI side.

https://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-ds-...est-drive.aspx

Jul 29, 2021, 04:49 PM
Quote:
We actually had this question few weeks ago. Simple table with some of the features.
It has been posted in our newsletter.

Jul 29, 2021, 04:55 PM
THAT'S WHY
You can test drive the Jeti...
Jul 29, 2021, 06:59 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model
Actually you do, at least from JETI side.

https://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-ds-...est-drive.aspx

Is the test drive restricted to planes? Or could be used with a Rock Crawler?
Jul 29, 2021, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
Well that is quite compelling…. technical specs AND a test drive… hmm
Jul 29, 2021, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model
Simple table with some of the features.
Jeti strikes again.

Quick Reply