What the Heck Wednesday - GeeBee MidAir to Freak Landing

This What the Heck Wednesday is not about the midair!

Splash

What the Heck Happened?

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a couple of GeeBee's flying together at the Wings & Wheels 2021 event over in the UK. These are some nice sized gas airplanes putting on a show for the crowd. It all goes smashingly (UK reference and pun intended) until one of the planes clips the other mid flight. It wasn't a catastrophic midair as both planes were able to maintain control and bring them down. This What the Heck Wednesday is not about the midair, it's about what happens around 3:28 in the video. The GeeBee coming in certainly has a damaged right wing, but it looks manageable and the pilot sets it down on the runway. You'd think that would be the end of a great story of how the planed survived a midair, but keep watching. A moment later the plane lifts, rolls 90 degrees to the right and slams into the ground breaking off the wing. I thought he had it and have no idea what actually went wrong to cause that wingover and crash. Any thoughts?

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Aug 16, 2021 at 05:01 PM..
Jul 28, 2021, 09:53 AM
Design Engineer
Looks like a nasty cross breeze was the culprit of both crashes upon landing. Not sure what else would have caused a plane on the ground picking up and rolling over like that.
Jul 28, 2021, 01:45 PM
I'm a balsa butcher
Quoted from above "It wasn't a catastrophic midair as both planes were able to maintain control and bring them down"

Wrong. The red one that had the tail clipped crashed in the paddock. The red one that cartwheeled at the end was so out of balance and flying so badly it was inevitable. Blue one was just a bad landing.

I've said it before, Some peoples wallets are much bigger than their flying ability.
Last edited by udlman; Jul 28, 2021 at 05:13 PM.
Jul 28, 2021, 04:38 PM
Very EMOTION... lesss croud
Aug 02, 2021, 11:45 PM
Go back and look harder. The red one that cartwheeled. Had part of the right side of the wing missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udlman
The red one that cartwheeled at the end was so out of balance and flying so badly it was inevitable.

I've said it before, Some peoples wallets are much bigger than their flying ability.
Aug 03, 2021, 02:26 AM
Right Rudder
I saw the video a few times carefully and it is my thoughts that some RC Modelers and supposedly experienced flying a type of GEE BEE they did NOT have the correct setups such as the Elevator throws and perhaps other setups on control surfaces.

I fly the Fat and very short coupled GEE BEE and if you don't have the correct setups and pay attention to Center-Of-Gravity settings (Notwithstanding cross-wind etc..) you will certainly see the ugly UP and DOWN oscillations and eventual crash like one of them had on landing.

My little Fat GEE BEE from Electrifly (Discontinued) is much faster than those depicted in the Video supplied.

Here it is sitting on top of my Hangar9 F-22 Raptor Glow-to-Electric conversion.

Aug 04, 2021, 05:39 PM
the slow geebee was the main culprit for the midair...he kept cutting the pattern short to make up for its lack of speed...poor piloting, and poor balancing, led to a little disaster.... good thing they werent the more notorious Model Rs

Quick Reply