Thread Tools
Jul 27, 2021, 09:08 PM
Trader Rating: 6
Registered User
ignernt_dweeb's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

?? New Plane In Generic Packaging ??


Has anyone bought a new name-brand model from a well-known retailer and it arrived in unmarked generic packaging? I bought a new SR-71 PNP from Banana and it arrived as shown below. Is this the new factory packaging for this model?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2021, 10:51 PM
Trader Rating: 93
If Ė by Rudyard Kipling
Cool cat.

It's on sale? Most likely how and why it ended up on sale in the first place. Toss the box, fly the plane!
Jul 30, 2021, 08:25 AM
Trader Rating: 6
Registered User
ignernt_dweeb's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa-n-glow
Cool cat.

It's on sale? Most likely how and why it ended up on sale in the first place. Toss the box, fly the plane!
Thanks, the cat's name is Weenie (short for Halloween) because she's an orange and black tortoise shell.

The plane wasn't on sale. It was sold as regular stock. Of course I'll keep it. I just don't like being deceived... NOT that I was. I'm just curious about it.
Jul 30, 2021, 12:17 PM
Trader Rating: 251
Old newb
r39o's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignernt_dweeb
I just don't like being deceived...
You were not deceived. Did you not receive your plane in as new condition? Does a printed box mean what is inside has not been messed with?

Banana buys in bulk. I have seen bulk plane shipments. One box has fuselages. Another wings. And so on.

Unless damaged, there is nothing to discuss.

Assemble your ARF and have funÖ..
Jul 30, 2021, 02:38 PM
Trader Rating: 12
Registered User
AntiArf's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignernt_dweeb
Has anyone bought a new name-brand model from a well-known retailer and it arrived in unmarked generic packaging? I bought a new SR-71 PNP from Banana and it arrived as shown below. Is this the new factory packaging for this model?
If you would have not named the distributor and made this a "Guess the distributor" thread, I would have won with my first guess.
Jul 30, 2021, 05:02 PM
Trader Rating: 93
If Ė by Rudyard Kipling
That plane looks fast sitting still.
Jul 31, 2021, 12:09 AM
Trader Rating: 6
Registered User
ignernt_dweeb's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
You were not deceived. Did you not receive your plane in as new condition? Does a printed box mean what is inside has not been messed with?

Banana buys in bulk. I have seen bulk plane shipments. One box has fuselages. Another wings. And so on.

Unless damaged, there is nothing to discuss.

Assemble your ARF and have fun…..
Thanks. I know I'll love this model. I already do. However, the seller should clearly state that they're cobbling together their offerings from piecemeal bulk parts. The only concern being, there is "no factory packaging".

This matters to some people. I save the factory packaging for anything of value I buy. I keep it all until an item breaks and is out of warranty and/or is of less value than the cost of servicing it.

Retaining factory packaging for things like nice RC models is important for them to retain more of their trade or sale value. In other words, the seller's failure to include this important information stealthily robbed me of an items full advertised value.

Cognizantly willful and intentional 'lack of disclosure' is deceptive. The seller would much better serve his clientele if he simply told the truth. I wonder if these are considered 'gray market'. I'm wondering too if this practice could be considered Mail Fraud.
Last edited by ignernt_dweeb; Jul 31, 2021 at 12:18 AM.
Jul 31, 2021, 01:00 AM
Trader Rating: 93
If Ė by Rudyard Kipling
I don't know about PNP models having any grey market in the US. A kit that remains unassembled, the box matters. It's never been disturbed.
Once you pull it out of the box, assemble and fly anything, it's more about the used condition of the model that you've flown. If you need warranty, they're going to take your plain box back. None of the reviews on the site has anyone commented or complained about the packaging.

If I were you, find out if you can get the $269.90 sale price that you missed and the fancy box on youtube was what you hoped to receive, as a way to get some consideration in that request. https://www.bananahobby.com/6-ch-sky...f-jet-arf.html. 626-629-8552 is there customer service number, Text them about your concerns and see what they say. https://www.bananahobby.com/support.htm That $70 in your pocket might help owning a plain box and they'll have answers why you received it.
Jul 31, 2021, 07:16 AM
Trader Rating: 242
Registered User
Joe 1320's Avatar
I’ve bought many planes that came in a plain brown box. As long as the contents are fine, you should be fine. I have a hanger full of boxes where I had to use a sharpie to label the outside of the box so I don’t have to open them all up just to see what the heck I have.
Jul 31, 2021, 07:18 AM
Trader Rating: 90
Mt. Dora, Florida
mtdoramike's Avatar
I remember quite a few years ago, Banana Hobby had all kinds of issues and were not recommended. So if you got what you ordered (even in an unmarked box) I would jump for joy.

I would also consider Balsa's insightful suggestion.
Jul 31, 2021, 07:21 AM
Trader Rating: 90
Mt. Dora, Florida
mtdoramike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
Iíve bought many planes that came in a plain brown box. As long as the contents are fine, you should be fine. I have a hanger full of boxes where I had to use a sharpie to label the outside of the box so I donít have to open them all up just to see what the heck I have.

Joe, your problem seems to be the one I would like to have kind of like having estate problems while your neighbor is arguing over soda crackers
Jul 31, 2021, 09:19 AM
Trader Rating: 6
Registered User
ignernt_dweeb's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa-n-glow
I don't know about PNP models having any grey market in the US. A kit that remains unassembled, the box matters. It's never been disturbed.
Once you pull it out of the box, assemble and fly anything, it's more about the used condition of the model that you've flown. If you need warranty, they're going to take your plain box back. None of the reviews on the site has anyone commented or complained about the packaging.

If I were you, find out if you can get the $269.90 sale price that you missed and the fancy box on youtube was what you hoped to receive, as a way to get some consideration in that request. https://www.bananahobby.com/6-ch-sky...f-jet-arf.html. 626-629-8552 is there customer service number, Text them about your concerns and see what they say. https://www.bananahobby.com/support.htm That $70 in your pocket might help owning a plain box and they'll have answers why you received it.
Many of my models remain unbuilt until I have no choice but to scratch a persistent assembly itch. Also, many models disassemble and fit back into their original packaging. So having factory boxes does matter.

I paid $269 for this model. If that saved $70 then I'm happy to be without the factory packaging. I would have gladly bought it knowing so. After all, who doesn't love a good deal? Nevertheless, their ad should state this condition.

Okay, I'm shutting up now.

p.s. My father used to tell my mother, rest both their souls, "Ahh... quitcher-bitchin".
Last edited by ignernt_dweeb; Jul 31, 2021 at 09:35 AM.
Jul 31, 2021, 09:30 AM
Trader Rating: 6
Registered User
ignernt_dweeb's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
Iíve bought many planes that came in a plain brown box. As long as the contents are fine, you should be fine. I have a hanger full of boxes where I had to use a sharpie to label the outside of the box so I donít have to open them all up just to see what the heck I have.
I have a few like that.👍
Jul 31, 2021, 11:37 AM
Trader Rating: 242
Registered User
Joe 1320's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdoramike
Joe, your problem seems to be the one I would like to have kind of like having estate problems while your neighbor is arguing over soda crackers
It has pluses and minuses.
On the plus side, Iíll never be bored.
On the minus end, Iím out of room.
Iím feeling a big sell off coming soon.
Aug 01, 2021, 11:10 AM
Trader Rating: 6
Registered User
ignernt_dweeb's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
It has pluses and minuses.
On the plus side, Iíll never be bored.
On the minus end, Iím out of room.
Iím feeling a big sell off coming soon.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll start saving my pennies!!! Gotta Stuka? I want a WW2 w-wing Axis plane to go with a 1400mm Corsair.
Last edited by ignernt_dweeb; Aug 01, 2021 at 11:18 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Great Planes 1/4 scale WW1 German Pilot. New in package John S. Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Nov 15, 2019 08:38 PM
Sold Great Planes Electrifly, 2200mah, 3S, 30C LIPO NEW in Package! MONOAMORE Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Feb 16, 2019 10:29 AM
For Sale great planes 46-70 reactor canopy new in package rnewland Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Dec 19, 2018 08:21 PM
For Sale EVP variable pitch prop system for electric planes. 9.75" blade. New in package King of Plane Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Sep 30, 2017 07:58 PM
Sold New in box OS 20 with new muffler in package bandit71 Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Jul 11, 2016 05:05 AM