Apr 25, 2002, 02:08 PM
Been There! Done That!

Flight Report Tilde W/ GWS Fan

Little wind today FINALLY! Took Tilde over to church and launched it. Needed more elevator but after adjustment flew GREAT!
I flew it for about 30 minutes on lithiums. Climbed out nicely needs a small dive to loop but think as I move CG back it will loop from level flight. Seems to still be a little nose heavy. I removed the front half of the skid back to the receiver as the Foam does a better job in a crash. (Ticked a tree and did a nice boomarang inpression ending in a dive that broke the original balsa skid.) Had to add a little weight to nose to offset weight of removed skid as I didn't want the battery to take full force of any crash. Contact cemented a small piece of EPP foam to remaining skid face which provides super protection to receiver. (See pic)
Is a little more responsive to control input than the Popfly and is a little touchy like the Zagi. With the small 2 foot wing span this little jewel will go with me on all my outings. Wind came up toward end of session and it handles the wind better than I expected. All in all a delightful combination. In Pic foam piece I added is just back of battery.
boomer
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2002, 03:34 PM
characters welcome!
How's about a pic of the fan installation, Boomer?

mw
Apr 25, 2002, 03:36 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Awesome!! 30 minutes, can't beat that! Did you try rolls? If so, how was the rate? Looks like a strong candidate for my next li-on plane!
Apr 25, 2002, 03:38 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Mark, more pics are in this thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=39256
Apr 25, 2002, 03:57 PM
Been There! Done That!
Mark,
Here is a closeup of Fan attachment. Have added a few drops of epoxy to anchor it after flight adjustment. Nice thing is by cutting 2 ties can slip on GWS A if so inclined.,however, I like the fan so much I probably won't.
Tres,
Didn't try anything fancy as was trying to get CG to my liking and wind came up again before I could fly anymore. Now gusting to 20mph!
boomer
Apr 26, 2002, 02:37 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
What, this is on page 3 already?

C'mon Boomer spill the beans! Have you had this little jewel out to fly again?
Apr 26, 2002, 05:31 PM
Been There! Done That!
Tres,
Cracked a fan blade sometime. Probably when I broad sided the Sand Box. It finally let go so waiting for fan blade shipment from Todd.
boomer
Apr 26, 2002, 06:58 PM
Private Pilot, M20J Owner

Have you seen this?

This guy claims 25% better thrust output. I sure would be interested if you can confirm it...25% better thrust?
Apr 26, 2002, 07:19 PM
AeroMicro
Hello ThunderChicken:

I talked to Dennis last week and he made a few more experiments. He lengthened the tail cone and the preformance is even better and quieter.

Apr 26, 2002, 07:33 PM
Private Pilot, M20J Owner
Just curious, I understand why the front ring would make a difference but I don't fully understand why a trailing cone would make such a huge difference. Can you explain? Creates less back pressure allowing for higher velocity air movement??? To me, I think that would explain why a longer cone works better.

That's my best guess? More info please.
Apr 27, 2002, 05:44 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Boomer wrote:
==Cracked a fan blade sometime. Probably when I broad sided the Sand Box. . ==

Oh no! Touch-and-goes with the sandbox and the sandbox won?

TC wrote:
==Just curious, I understand why the front ring would make a difference but I don't fully understand why a trailing cone would make such a huge difference. ==

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking there might be a vortex created just behind the outlet and air could actually get sucked into the center creating turbulence (like in a whirlpool, swirling around the perimeter causes suction in the center). That cone may move the vortex downstream where it can't impact the push effect of the motor.
Apr 27, 2002, 07:15 PM
tres:

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking there might be a vortex created just behind the outlet and air could actually get sucked into the center creating turbulence (like in a whirlpool, swirling around the perimeter causes suction in the center). That cone may move the vortex downstream where it can't impact the push effect of the motor. [/B][/QUOTE]

that sounds about right to me

I know that for carburators a veocity stack is used to match the incoming air to the carburator throat. It smooths the flow into the carburator by creating a transition in diameter. I supect that the ring on the inlet to the the fan unit has a similar effect.

The tail cone also concentrates the air speeding it up. The tail cone however is a trade off.

My guess is that it also creates somewhat of a restriction in total flow.