Jul 16, 2005, 03:54 PM
ianm
Thread OP

Problem with tail blade on X400

Hi all,

This evening whilst trimming out my newly built X400 I lost a tail blade
Fortunately I was just hover about half a metre above the ground at the time so although it just spun out of control I was able to drop it to the ground without any other damage
About 10 seconds earlier I was hovering at about 4 metres high and just came down to make some fine adjustments to the rudder trim in head lock mode ( I was very lucky )
My daughter and myself searched the garden for the missing blade so I could examine it to see what had failed but it had vanished !!
The tail blade holder was still intacted complete with fixing screw so I assume the blade must have broken off around the hole ?.
Has anyone else had any problems with the tail blades supplied with the Ark X400 ?
I have borrowed the tail blades off my Zoom and fitted them to the X400 and they are working fine with no further problems so far

Ian
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2005, 05:04 PM
OK Karen
That's a scary situation. Similar to the Shogun tail grip bearings letting go. I've had it happen 5 times with 3 of them ending up in expensive (Shoguns always are) crashes. I use Boca hybrid bearings now. Not a simgle problem since, go figure.
Jul 16, 2005, 05:11 PM
Scarecow
Common problem it seems - X400 white plastic is brittle. Have also heard of paddles, boom brace ends, fins & UC breaking easily.
Most people seem to be replacing tail rotor with T-rex tail-rotor. Also check paddles regularly for cracks.
Jul 16, 2005, 06:04 PM
ianm
Thread OP
Thanks guys for your feedback and I wish I had seen that thread from rchelispot.com before It's maiden flight.

I have since flown out 2 battery packs with the Zoom tail blades fitted although I was a bit scared of flying any more than a few feet above the ground

Now I can see that the problem was crappy plastic blades supplied with the kit and I feel more confident about more serious test flying tomorrow morning.

PS Is there any other common faults I should be aware of before any more major flying ?.

Ian
Last edited by ianm; Jul 16, 2005 at 06:26 PM.
Jul 17, 2005, 01:11 AM
That tree again!!!!
Neat helis fleet.
i have not had problem with the tail blade flying off like that. But I had swashplate went seperate. One time I had a crash and the one of the blade grips (TREX blade grips) was broken. The stock tail is not balance out of the box is what I see.

thanh

Quick Reply