Aug 05, 2021, 02:02 PM
Or current resident
I thought it was a one piece wing before I looked at the plan. That would be a lot easier, except would have to draw the center section plan.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2021, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
Glen

I like what you've done with your Mosquito. It would be easy to do something similar here. now all I have to do is source 1/64" ply. Looks like I'll have to order it.

Tom K
Aug 13, 2021, 04:52 PM
Hi Tom,

I have been getting the itch to build something lately and ran across this plan on the zone. Then found your thread here. Looks like you are making good progress. Was wondering. In your first post you mentioned attaching some .pdfs of some parts redrawn but I did not find them. I was wondering if you had drawn the wing ribs yet as the plan looks like the front third of them is just a big blob of ink.

Jim
Aug 13, 2021, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
It's funny you asked Jim. I just finished reworking the drawings this afternoon.

I've reworked the spacing and design a bit. I've move to a notched spar and have added stub spars the meet in front of F4. As I mentioned earlier, I've added a cross piece to both F4 and F6 to accommodate the possible use of a brass tube/carbon fiber tube type of wing plug-in system. I'm abandoning that but the cross web on F4 will work well to attach a wing box similar to what Glen is doing on his Mosquito.

I've attached PDFs of the wing ribs and spars (I can also provide them in DXF format). The wing ribs have breathing holes in them. I often find them necessary when covering with full depth spars. The holes let the hot air in the bays expand without stretching the covering and leaving it loose. The dotted lines on W8 and 9 are the cut points for optional ailerons (I've decided to stay simple and go with only 3 channels.). one other thing, I've changed the 1/32" sheeting to 1/16". I fing the 1/32" too delicate for my fat fingers.

I also have redrawn the fuselage formers with reasonably straight notches and the he empennage. If you want them too let me know.

Hope this helps.

Tom K
Last edited by slow_flier; Aug 13, 2021 at 09:22 PM.
Aug 13, 2021, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
I know I haven't posted in a while but I have done a bit on the Wildcat. I have sourced 1/64" ply (Mail order ). and I have started making the formers for the cowl. Slow work when their 3/16" wide and 3/16" thick.

Anyway, the pictures below show the rear two formers being glued together and the others laid out for cutting to shape.

I'm not sure when I'll get back, I have family coming to town for my Father's 96th birthday.

Tom K
Aug 14, 2021, 01:05 AM
Big gov never Works
Your up late, Tom. Or..left the PC on. Hey Jim! Howz' the trains?

Tom, thats cool, your using R/E/T. The design turns better on rudder. I built about 6, of the F4F's, larger @ 38". I believe thats 1" scale. The design I believe was in RCM, for .10-.20ci. While very aerobatic, on 4ch, ail required a lot of throw. Only one Wildcat design rolled well on ail(I ever built), Jim Ryans. I built John Morgan one years ago, w/scale ail. Still rolled well.

Must be tough not having all your building tools from home. Not having the Dremel Moto-Shop saw, would limit me quite a bit. There have been periods in my life, when I did not have that luxury. Jewelers coping saws was the alternative. Cut oversize and block sand to final.

Fuzz
Aug 14, 2021, 04:50 AM
Thread OP
Yeah Fuzz, it takes me back to when I first started building. I never thought I'd be saying this but I really miss my CNC.

Tom K
Aug 14, 2021, 10:21 AM
Thanks Tom,

Plans look great. Would love to have the fuse ribs also. Right now I am trying to decide if I want to start the Wildcat or the Guillows laser cut P51 that I already have.

Fuzz, trains are going fine. Ran some this morning.

Jim
Aug 14, 2021, 12:13 PM
Thread OP
Here they are

Tom K
Aug 14, 2021, 01:59 PM
Thanks again. Already printed them out.

Jim
Aug 17, 2021, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
Some small progress to report.

Over the last couple of days I've found a few opportunities to work on the Wildcat's cowl. The parts for for the forward cowl formers were completed, joined and the C2 and C3 formers joined in preparation for coupling them to the C4/C5 subassembly shown earlier.

Tom K
Aug 17, 2021, 10:00 AM
Nice. Looking forward to see how you handle the carb intake on the cowl. F4F has it. The FM-2 does not. So I guess depends on which version your are going for.

Jim
Aug 17, 2021, 10:25 AM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA
Nice. Looking forward to see how you handle the carb intake on the cowl. F4F has it. The FM-2 does not. So I guess depends on which version your are going for.

Jim
Some F4F-3’s, and most earlier Martlets lacked that intake as well. The FM-2 also eliminates the underwing oil coolers.
Aug 17, 2021, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
JimA/CF105

I'm still debating color schemes but I'm leaning toward doing Butch O'Hare's Wildcat ( in my youth, I worked at O'hare for a couple of years). It appears to be an F4F-3 without the carb intake.

Tom K

Quick Reply