Thread Tools
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:52 PM
citabria is offline
Find More Posts by citabria
Under tension
citabria's Avatar

checks for AP jobs.

I would like to do some AP for hire but I am not ready to go all the way to the point of getting a business license, bank account, etc. just to do a few jobe here and there. I know that there is a practice in business where you can use your own name, like "Scott Parker Aerial Photography", and this makes things easier as far as acting like a business, but not having to do all the license and separate bank account stuff. Am I correct in assuming someone can wirte me a check with the business name above and I can cash it in my own personal bank account, or am I confused? If that's the case why do people use their own name for business.

Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:56 PM
randall1959 is offline
Find More Posts by randall1959
Suspended Account
When I do anything for hire unless it's a steady job it's cash only. That simplifies things to quite a degree. Also, when you become a "business" there are all sorts of people standing in line wanting to charge you more for even the basics like electricity.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:11 PM
Ken S is offline
Find More Posts by Ken S
Registered User
Ken S's Avatar

I think that if the check is made out the other way around ie:
"Scott Parker"
"DBA:Scott Parker Aerial Photography"
(DBA=Doing Business As)

you should probably be OK with your bank.

Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:47 PM
CptMike is offline
Find More Posts by CptMike
Abundantly deficient.......
CptMike's Avatar
Works for me!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:10 PM
Vintauri is online now
Find More Posts by Vintauri
Vintauri's Avatar
If your just doing a little business you can consider it a hobby business and it's best to just use your name.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:06 AM
dapple63 is offline
Find More Posts by dapple63
Registered User
dapple63's Avatar
Using your name is the most simple. You are a sole proprietorship and not a partnership or corporation at this point. However, most states make it very easy to file a DBA (doing business as) without regard to whether you have a particular business license, tax ID, sales tax permit, etc. Every state/county/city is different about what they require.

For now, unless you are going to engage this as a sole occupation, I'd keep it as a hobby that you occasionally make a buck or two. If it gets bigger than that, you'll know and then you can do all the official stuff to go along with it.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 03:45 PM
citabria is offline
Find More Posts by citabria
Under tension
citabria's Avatar
That's my feeling exactly. I'll look into the DBA stuff. Thanks everyone.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Deferred payment for AP jobs? Bob Chiang Aerial Photography 70 May 15, 2007 11:01 PM
What esc for the AP-29 motor? Florin777 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 7 Feb 27, 2003 06:40 PM
esc for ap-29 Florin777 Power Systems 2 Feb 27, 2003 03:42 PM
Amp limits for AP-29L GregG Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 7 Jan 23, 2002 02:28 AM
Planetary gearbox for AP 29BB ? dvint Power Systems 1 Oct 27, 2001 09:53 AM