Jul 21, 2021, 12:37 AM
Trader Rating: 1
Making comeback after 13 years
Thread OP
Discussion

"Will Not Ship" - Idea for improving

After a 13-year old absence from the hobby, I am trying to make a comeback. I was literally at the flying field when my wife when into labor.

Fast-forward 13 years and I am hoping that the same child that was a catalyst for putting the hobby done for a bit can bring us together and I have found something we can do together. He loves planes. Flys MS Flight Simulator. Has toured the Boeing facility. We used to sit under the runway at LAX and listen to ATC.

Being in west LA, flying fields and clubs require a bit of travel so I hadn't really thought it was a viable option. (I was wrong about that.)

I've spent a lot of time on the Classified recently. I have some pocket cash and have been looking to snag a bunch of unloved or outgrown models and equipment to quickly build up a hangar so my son and I can figure out together if we are 3D Foamy people or giant-scale folks, something in-between, or all the above.

The Classified section can help BUT ... "Will Not Ship". Most ads are marked will not ship.

I can't help wondering if most people WILL NOT SHIP is because it's too difficult or annoying to do so. Too difficult to find the right-sized box and packing material. Too much of a hassle to drag it to the post office.

I am neither an entrepreneur nor an expert in logistics, but it seems to me that a need exists to solve a problem to change WILL NOT SHIP to WILL SHIP.

If you have ever owned, for example, a high-end laptop, and you need to send it in for service under warranty, they send you a package. That package contains the shipping label and a perfectly sized box with the protective material needed to transport it safely. It's pretty difficult to screw up unless you really aren't trying at all.

No, laptops are not RC airplanes. They have standard form factors and the weight is predictable. Used RC models come in all shapes and sizes and weights.

In my head, I see a website where a buyer can put representative components of what he is selling "in a box" so this magical shipping company can be sure to create the right packing. A library of common stuff. Radios. Engines. Airplanes. The weights of these are generally known or can reasonably estimate for shipping purposes. As people add things, the library grows for others, thus making everything slightly better for everyone the next time.

However, a trip to Staples to find the right sized box and all the packing materials needed is a lot of hassle for someone trying to get rid of something and is apparently not something people want to deal with. For good reason. Hence, "Will Not Ship."

It would be really cool if a seller could link "Will Ship With <RC SHIPPING COMPANY.COM>" (fake company name for illustrative purposes)
  • Buyers enter an address. Decides if the shipping and packaging costs are worth it to them.
  • If so, pays for it.
  • <RC SHIPPING COMPANY.COM> sends the exact materials needed to the SELLER.
  • Seller packages item using provided supplies and pre-paid label

Is this why people WILL NOT SHIP? It's just a pain in the ass? Can it be less a pain in the ass and put more burden on the BUYER.

I had to pass-over hundreds of dollars of things today because the buyer WILL NOT SHIP. I am probably a rare outlier, but it seems like more people can sell more things if they could ship.
Last edited by RCVahn; Jul 21, 2021 at 12:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2021, 04:13 AM
Trader Rating: 106
Welcome to RCG Classified. And the world of "Will Not Ship" There are tons of threads here about the same subject. You will NOT win here. I would love to see all the companies STOP shipping. Then we can watch all the sellers here that Will Not Ship, start whining. But I notice that there are tons of "Will Not Ship items here that never sold here" Wonder why....

It doesn't really matter anyways. With the FAA in the way. We will all lose!
Jul 21, 2021, 06:08 AM
Trader Rating: 171
Build a scale plane already!!!
OP has a great idea,, but the core problem with that business plan is,, RC guys are Cheep Skates and would not want to pay the extra $$
Jul 21, 2021, 07:15 AM
Trader Rating: 90
Mt. Dora, Florida
Leave it to scale to get right to the heart of the matter. There are several reasons why a seller will not ship, as scale points out, "buyers are cheep skates", but soime sellers are also lazy and prefer not to jump through a bunch of hoops, there's also that I'm afraid the item will get damaged. I know ebay used to have drop off sites where a seller could drop off an item, the site would box up the item (for a fee of course) and ship it for the seller. Heck they even had a few in my area and for a small town, that was something.

I on the other hand will ship anything, any where to anyone who is willing to pay the shipping cost. But even witrh this moto, there are snags, like there is only soooo much an item is worth and how much someone is willing to pay to ship that item. Example: I'm in Florida and anything I ship heading west the cost doubles versus shipping to the east. Take shipping a built model for instance, I would have $25.00-$35.00 in packing materials alone, now the buyer asks if I would split the shipping cost with him and shipping is $100.00, now I have $75.00-$85.00 in less value for the item I just sold. So some times it just comes down to economics.
Jul 21, 2021, 07:25 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
I have an idea, rather than taking the time to post in the trader talk section, why not spend that time contacting sellers who have items listed that you are interested in buying and ask them if they would reconsider the "I'm not shipping mentality" if you are willing to pay all the expenses incurred from shipping the item. All they can say is yes or no. I for one appreciate any and all offers on anything I'm selling, even low ballers. If I can't even snag a low baller or two, it hurts my wittle feelings.
Jul 21, 2021, 08:20 AM
Trader Rating: 181
Friend of Foam
Here is my idea for improving the chances for getting that item you want thats listed as "will not ship", get your wallet out and make it worthwhile to the seller.

And not just for the actual shipping costs, but for "handling" too. Scale hit the mark though, people in this hobby can be incredibly cheap when it comes to some things. Don't get me wrong, people can be extremely generous with their time and efforts and even their things in this hobby, but spend some time selling online or going to a swap meet and you'll see the chronic nickle and diming.

Shipping can be a huge hassle in this day and age. The rates to ship are literally insane. Everyong wants their item to be safely packed. The average person doens't have a large amount of cardboard sitting around that will fit a plane, built or boxed. Sure, go buy one at the shipping stores, be prepared to be updwards of $40.00 FOR THE BOX alone. I just sent a K8 out to CA and the buyer (god bless his soul) paid for the box and shipping via FedEx. The box and the shipping was $94.00, plus he paid for the plane.

But back to the boxes. Most have to be custom fitted to whatever is being shipped (I'm talking about planes in general, not small stuff). Cutting down a box to fit takes TIME. Taping that box up takes TIME. Tape ain't free either, I just went through $30.00 over the past week, and I got the cheap stuff at Home Depot.

Then the fun trip to FedEx, UPS, or the ultimate hell, USPS. Not once in the past month have I gone there without a long line, and one or two clerks. And I'm just there to drop off and get a receipt. More TIME spent ensuring it's on it's way safe and sound. In some cases you can arrange for the stuff to be picked up, at a fee of course.

Then come the complaints about how long it takes for the items to get there, and threats of chargebacks etc because they didn't get their package clear across the country in 2 days. Newflash, I sold the item with "free shipping", I'm using ground service, not overnight.

Throw in a dusting of "I didn't get my package I'm filing a PP complaint" even through tracking clearly shows it was delivered. Yes I know things can get misplaced but as far as I'm concerned I did my part, I shipped, the vendor says it's delivered, it's on you to follow up. I know that will spark another debate, but that's my opinion on it. 4 PP cases later and I still haven't lost a case., which of course means I'm about to take a hit on the next one, lol.

Ya, I'm a bit weary after mailing about about 30 packages in the past few weeks, but I agreed to ship in some cases, and at the end of the day it's worth it for me and the buyer. When I want something I look at what I'm willing to pay in total for it, item cost and shipping. Some people get stuck on the shipping quote and poof, there goes the sale. Case in point, my white elephant offering:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7-Cardinal-NIB

Started off not shipping, and asking $100.00. It's a rare find (like say a Pinto wagon or leg warmers), but will obviously require that perfect buyer who reallly wants this. I decide to ship because three different buyers said they absolutely have to have it. I give them the actual quote, then poof, like a fart in the wind they are gone. One finally writes back and say too much to ship. They would have had the plane shipped to them across the country in total for $165.00. Even after I put the dimensions in for people to do their own checking, I still get requests to quote. I refer them back to the listing and tell them to use the vendor of their choice. Obviously I'll be living with this plane forever. Oh, and I have two of them. Good times.

So in short buyers who want stuff shipped....be prepared to pay, simple as that. And this isn't a shot at the OP but I can't help but notice that these threads usually get started by people with little to no feedback as a seller.

For those thinking about shipping, there are ways of doing it to make it easier. A few suggestions:

Get free cardboard at bike ships, appliance stores, or recyle stuff you get at home from your own deliveries. Buy tape in bulk. From now on I use Scotch brand with the red grip, well worth it. I tend to cut my boxes down to fit the item in snugly, but if you need packing material skip the expensive packing peanuts or paper. I've been using different sized empty soda bottles to fill the voids. Gives great protection and doesn't weigh much. I had 1000 ping pong balls (don't ask) that I used as well, I can only imagine the look the buyers face when he opened the box.

OK, back to packing.
Latest blog entry: Gallery
Jul 21, 2021, 08:23 AM
Friend of Foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky732
Welcome to RCG Classified. And the world of "Will Not Ship" There are tons of threads here about the same subject. You will NOT win here. I would love to see all the companies STOP shipping. Then we can watch all the sellers here that Will Not Ship, start whining. But I notice that there are tons of "Will Not Ship items here that never sold here" Wonder why....

It doesn't really matter anyways. With the FAA in the way. We will all lose!
What was the last item you sold and shipped?
Jul 21, 2021, 08:38 AM
I'm a Buyer not a Seller. And never will sell any of my things. That's why I have over 76 helis from way back when I started this addiction. But I don't have a problem paying for shipping. But I come across many that try to over charge on shipping. I look at it this way if I want it I'll pay for it. But then again if shipping is double of what the kit cost. No way. To many BS'ers here. And yes there are a lot of lazy sellers that won't ship. But they most likely still have those item that they would not ship years back etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogosi
What was the last item you sold and shipped?
Jul 21, 2021, 09:07 AM
Friend of Foam
Quote:
"........ When i started this addiction..........."
truth !!!
Jul 21, 2021, 09:12 AM
I love Heli's, Airplanes, FPV Quads. And Profile Foamy's. And Of course my X-MAXX.
Jul 21, 2021, 11:34 AM
Trader Rating: 15
One of the biggest expectations for the buyer is to expect the seller to have the same shipping rates that the big hobby stores have to ship their product.

I will ship small things. Yesterday I just shipped two receivers to New Zealand from the US. But for the reasons above, I will not ship an airplane. A couple weeks ago I had a guy drive 900 miles to pick up a BVM F 86. For him, it was worth the drive. For me, I would've gotten no extra money to pack the jet.
For those airplanes that are under $500, it's just not worth the 2 to 3 days it takes to pack up an airplane. The shipping cost almost equal to what the plane is worth, or at least half of the value. The buyer expects you to provide the packing for free. And then worry about it traveling across country on greyhound or whatever. There's no extra money in the handling, as most have said. So the "maybe" couple extra hundred dollars I would make by shipping it, I would rather throw in the trash. If somebody locally picks it up, which they normally do by time you lower the price enough. The buyer determines the value of the item for sale. It's like that in every thing for sale. It is far less hassle for local pick up. I've spent 2 to 3 days packing a plane. It just is not fun. I would rather spend the time flying or building, and throw the plane in the trash, or donate to one of the poorer retirees at the field.

I have a lot higher feedback on RCU and eBay, under the same s/n. Just haven't sold much on RCG.
Jul 21, 2021, 12:30 PM
Trader Rating: 15
For me it's; how far are you willing to drive for local pick up?

As mentioned before, a buyer drive 900 miles one way to pick up a custom painted BVM F86.
Jul 21, 2021, 01:00 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogosi
Here is my idea for improving the chances for getting that item you want thats listed as "will not ship", get your wallet out and make it worthwhile to the seller.

And not just for the actual shipping costs, but for "handling" too. Scale hit the mark though, people in this hobby can be incredibly cheap when it comes to some things. Don't get me wrong, people can be extremely generous with their time and efforts and even their things in this hobby, but spend some time selling online or going to a swap meet and you'll see the chronic nickle and diming.

Shipping can be a huge hassle in this day and age. The rates to ship are literally insane. Everyong wants their item to be safely packed. The average person doens't have a large amount of cardboard sitting around that will fit a plane, built or boxed. Sure, go buy one at the shipping stores, be prepared to be updwards of $40.00 FOR THE BOX alone. I just sent a K8 out to CA and the buyer (god bless his soul) paid for the box and shipping via FedEx. The box and the shipping was $94.00, plus he paid for the plane.

But back to the boxes. Most have to be custom fitted to whatever is being shipped (I'm talking about planes in general, not small stuff). Cutting down a box to fit takes TIME. Taping that box up takes TIME. Tape ain't free either, I just went through $30.00 over the past week, and I got the cheap stuff at Home Depot.

Then the fun trip to FedEx, UPS, or the ultimate hell, USPS. Not once in the past month have I gone there without a long line, and one or two clerks. And I'm just there to drop off and get a receipt. More TIME spent ensuring it's on it's way safe and sound. In some cases you can arrange for the stuff to be picked up, at a fee of course.

Then come the complaints about how long it takes for the items to get there, and threats of chargebacks etc because they didn't get their package clear across the country in 2 days. Newflash, I sold the item with "free shipping", I'm using ground service, not overnight.

Throw in a dusting of "I didn't get my package I'm filing a PP complaint" even through tracking clearly shows it was delivered. Yes I know things can get misplaced but as far as I'm concerned I did my part, I shipped, the vendor says it's delivered, it's on you to follow up. I know that will spark another debate, but that's my opinion on it. 4 PP cases later and I still haven't lost a case., which of course means I'm about to take a hit on the next one, lol.

Ya, I'm a bit weary after mailing about about 30 packages in the past few weeks, but I agreed to ship in some cases, and at the end of the day it's worth it for me and the buyer. When I want something I look at what I'm willing to pay in total for it, item cost and shipping. Some people get stuck on the shipping quote and poof, there goes the sale. Case in point, my white elephant offering:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7-Cardinal-NIB

Started off not shipping, and asking $100.00. It's a rare find (like say a Pinto wagon or leg warmers), but will obviously require that perfect buyer who reallly wants this. I decide to ship because three different buyers said they absolutely have to have it. I give them the actual quote, then poof, like a fart in the wind they are gone. One finally writes back and say too much to ship. They would have had the plane shipped to them across the country in total for $165.00. Even after I put the dimensions in for people to do their own checking, I still get requests to quote. I refer them back to the listing and tell them to use the vendor of their choice. Obviously I'll be living with this plane forever. Oh, and I have two of them. Good times.

So in short buyers who want stuff shipped....be prepared to pay, simple as that. And this isn't a shot at the OP but I can't help but notice that these threads usually get started by people with little to no feedback as a seller.

For those thinking about shipping, there are ways of doing it to make it easier. A few suggestions:

Get free cardboard at bike ships, appliance stores, or recyle stuff you get at home from your own deliveries. Buy tape in bulk. From now on I use Scotch brand with the red grip, well worth it. I tend to cut my boxes down to fit the item in snugly, but if you need packing material skip the expensive packing peanuts or paper. I've been using different sized empty soda bottles to fill the voids. Gives great protection and doesn't weigh much. I had 1000 ping pong balls (don't ask) that I used as well, I can only imagine the look the buyers face when he opened the box.

OK, back to packing.
Words of wisdom by a true scholar.
Jul 21, 2021, 01:03 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Quote:
I'm a Buyer not a Seller. And never will sell any of my things. That's why I have over 76 helis from way back when I started this addiction. But I don't have a problem paying for shipping. But I come across many that try to over charge on shipping. I look at it this way if I want it I'll pay for it. But then again if shipping is double of what the kit cost. No way. To many BS'ers here. And yes there are a lot of lazy sellers that won't ship. But they most likely still have those item that they would not ship years back etc.
They have TV shows about them, they are called Hoarders.
Jul 21, 2021, 01:04 PM
Trader Rating: 171
Build a scale plane already!!!
2-3 days to pack a plane?,, C'mon man that's nonsense,, anyone with the skills to build a plane can pack one up safely in a few hours,,, It's not easy and is easier for some vs. others based on experience, tools and works space available, , but lets not delve into ridiculous exaggerations..

Quick Reply