Jul 19, 2021, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Kite DLG - ArmSoar.com

We just received our second batch of models from SoaringModels, and included in this batch are a few Kite DLGs. This is the new, updated version with the 2-piece wings and 4-in-pod construction with internal linkages.

20 dm^2 wings with Zone V2 airfoils, and the models are built with a stiff wing and fuselage. I haven't flown one yet, but I plan on building one later when I have time so that I can give more in-depth setup help in both the assembly and finetuning. From the planform, size and airfoils, I think this will be a very nice all round model. I think most of us are familiar with the Zone V2 airfoils by now, but if you're not, they're very good launching foils with the ability to take a LOT of camber.

The model is made with full-carbon construction and solid Rohacell cores. Standard AUW looks like it'll come out to around 220 grams, and the strong should come out to 250 grams.

Available here: https://armsoarusa.com/collections/d...e-2-piece-wing
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2021, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Unboxing the Kite DLG:

Unboxing the Carbon Mini Dart 2 and the new 2-Piece Wing Kite DLG/F3K Gliders (16 min 16 sec)
Jul 22, 2021, 12:42 PM
Was this one of your designs?
Jul 22, 2021, 01:59 PM
Thread OP
No, I'm not involved with the R&D on the SoaringModels products. Just representing them and making it available for purchase in North America.
Aug 03, 2021, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
More Kite DLGs have arrived today! Also Kite ballast sets and covers. I’m going to build one of these to fly… not sure which one yet. I’ll see what’s left by the time I get started, haha.

Will be online tonight or tomorrow.
Aug 04, 2021, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
The Kite DLG, ballast sets, and covers are now uploaded: https://armsoarusa.com/collections/kite-dlg-collection

SoaringModels is still working on the assembly manual for the Kite DLG, but the photos for the E-Kite is available in the E-Kite thread. The pushrod system is very similar, so that can be a guide for now until SM finishes the build photos and sends them over. If you have questions on the build, please don't hesitate to let me know!
Aug 04, 2021, 07:26 PM
Those are nice kits!!!
Aug 06, 2021, 11:40 AM
Build it fast Thomas. Love to hear your review.
Aug 06, 2021, 12:13 PM
Thread OP
Finishing up my Ultima 2 this next few days, hopefully I can get a Kite in the air by next weekend. We'll see!
Aug 09, 2021, 09:03 AM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
This looks like an awesome little bird for beginners (like me…). Very cool!
Aug 09, 2021, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
Based on what I can tell of the airfoils and planform, as well as feedback from some pilots who have flown it, I think it's going to be a really nice all-rounder model with good performance and nice handling. The Zone V2 airfoils are nice and quick and accept large amounts of camber to increase lift. Looking forward to getting mine in the air.

We will begin the build and part 1 of the build video on Wednesday.
Aug 13, 2021, 12:11 PM
Thread OP
Hi guys, SoaringModels has just finished the PDF instruction manual: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...f?v=1628874416

We've also just finished filming part 1 of the build log video. Working on the VO now, aiming to have it out tomorrow morning.
Aug 14, 2021, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
I'm building my own Kite to fly right now, follow along for Part 1 of my build log!
I hope you find it useful in your own builds.

Kite Dlg Built Log Part 1 (25 min 11 sec)
Aug 29, 2021, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
I finished up the Kite a few days ago but have been busy with other projects, the standard layup built to 216 grams at 72.8 mm AUW.

Maidened my Kite today, flew it for about an hour so far. I’ll leave comparisons for later after I fly it for at least a few more hours, but so far it’s very comfortable to fly. Zero weird tendencies thus far, it’s pretty much what I would expect from a Zone V2 wing. Haven’t gone all-out on it yet, launching to around 60-63m so far. I think if I push it I can get it a few meters higher. This is at 216 grams… which is too light to put serious power behind.

I made some mistakes on my build and had to redo some parts. I’ll cover those in the build log part 2, but it’s important to put the servos where the manual specifies.

There are two bends in the pushrods as specified by the manual, and it’s needed to clear the servos. I’m not a fan of bends in pushrods so I might eventually find a way to remove at least one of the bends. That said, I was so sure that with the two bends it would be flutter city, but so far with 63m launches, not a hint of flutter. It always takes me a couple sessions to build trust in a new airframe to give big launches, but I’m curious to see if it’ll have any flutter issues once I get it to roughly 70m. Andrew from SoaringModels has told me the guys in Ukraine are throwing it 70m without flutter so it should not be a problem…. But did I mention I don’t like bends in pushrods?

Sorry I haven’t had time to cleanup the wiring in the nose yet, I’ll get to that later… haha.

Quick Reply