Jul 19, 2021, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

tinting clear dope for semi transparent look

Years ago i used a product (which i can't remember to tint clear dope and give a semi-transparent look to my covering ). Does any one remember whatit was caled ?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2021, 05:34 PM
Are you referring to FLOQUIL model railroad paints? These have been gone for awhile. They were replaced by water based paints.
Jul 19, 2021, 06:04 PM
Here is an old thread on RC Groups on just this subject. Hope it helps. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-to-clear-dope
Jul 19, 2021, 06:33 PM
I've used RIT dye for it.

Full details here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=28

Andy
Jul 19, 2021, 08:31 PM

one effect

Clear dope base build-up on fabric, then the same clear thinned and tinted with very small amounts of appropriate colored dope. Tint must be sprayed.
Jul 20, 2021, 12:33 PM
B for Bruce
Lee Valley sells a wide range of aniline dye powders for dying wood to some pretty spectacular colors.

In my early days I was also able to use RIT dye in dope thinner. The dye dissolved quite well and left a bunch of salt granules on the bottom. But it wasn't very intense a color. It would require a LOT of coats of clear sprayed on to get much of an effect.
Jul 20, 2021, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
In my early days I was also able to use RIT dye in dope thinner. The dye dissolved quite well and left a bunch of salt granules on the bottom. But it wasn't very intense a color. It would require a LOT of coats of clear sprayed on to get much of an effect.
+1 on the "lots" - for me that was fine, as it allowed me to get just the right amount of coloration. It could have been less had I not used so much thinner making it.

Andy
Jul 20, 2021, 01:41 PM
Has food dye ever been tried? I've used it to dye epoxy and it's worked just fine. I have no idea what it might do with dope though

Bob
Jul 20, 2021, 02:28 PM
That would be interesting to try. If it's a water-based dye then it won't be kind with the dope, but if alcohol-based it might just work.

Andy
Jul 20, 2021, 05:38 PM
Hi Aney,

All that I can tell you is that I used it to color the epoxy that I would use for, say, creating a filet around a canopy, etc. With epoxy, it also has the side benefit of letting you know that the epoxy has been totally mixed.

The stuff that I used to use was came out of the tube as a gel - I used only a drop or two whenever I mixed a batch.

Bob
Jul 21, 2021, 02:15 AM
I used to add a little colored dope to clear and the results were like a candy finish. After applying the tinted dope, then a coat of clear. (butyrate dope)
Gene
Jul 21, 2021, 07:40 AM
Epoxy can be colored with just about anything that will mix in. I have used RustOlume paint. Dope is different, whatever you add my be compatible with the solvent.
Jul 21, 2021, 07:55 AM
Thanks, Ray93J.

That's exactly why I was asking that question...
Jul 21, 2021, 04:50 PM
For us old traditional builders, colored silk is an option. But, you must be sitting down when you place that order.

Commercial colored silk will not work. I tried that a few years ago. For some reason, dope will not shrink it. No matter the number of coats.
Jul 21, 2021, 08:53 PM
That's because it's pre shrunk.

Andy

Quick Reply