Jul 19, 2021, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Back in the Hobby

I'm trying to ease back in the hobby. Electric Park Flyer type of equipment advice. Everything from TX, RX, Servo's, Lipo Charger. What will I need? My equipment I had 12 years ago was TX: Spektrum DX-7, RX: Spektrum AR-6100, Charger: Thunder AC6 Dual. I don't plan to expand into anything serious, low & slow is all I can deal with. Best place to buy from also, maybe a link or two. I'm a huge fan of the classified forum here. I have bought & sold quite a bit over the years. Thanks for any help.
Last edited by Crash N Burn 1; Jul 24, 2021 at 05:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2021, 10:09 AM
You must have sold your old stuff. I'd recommend Spectrum, one of their entry level transmitters an receiver combos, unless you have aspirations of progressing in the hobby , then look at a one of the 6 channel combos. Some of the Spectrum RC systems are compatible with ARF E-Flite models that have stabilization systems. There are RC systems that are cheaper and have "Open" transmitters that have advantages if you are willing to learn to use their extra capabilities.. Servos are pretty much unchanged, there are more cheap micro servos available now. There a more brands of Lipo chargers now, you probably don't need anything fancy. I'd recommend an inexpensive AC/DC charger that can charge two battery packs at a time. There are a lot of speed controls now, I recommend you buy popular brands . Horizon hobby and Hobby King USA, are popular sources. You might find a lot of what you need in the classified forum. Recommend you contact Spectrum by phone and get advice on what RC system to buy . A lot of favorite online hobby suppliers have gone out of business.
Problems with China/US have cause delays in availability of foamy ARF models and prices have risen . BTW, you'll need to join AMA, register with FAA, and should join a club with some kind of beginner program and find a mentor to guide you on what to buy and where to buy.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jul 19, 2021 at 10:15 AM.
Jul 19, 2021, 10:23 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
In my opinion , the easiest-to-fly park flyer is the UMX Radian : https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../EFLU2950.html you can pre-order now for shipment in August .

Other very good park flyers are on this page : https://www.horizonhobby.com/airplan...-to-high&sz=24. The small ones are best for small parks , and if you fly a plane under 250 grams ( they are considered toys ) .... no need to register yourself with the FAA .

You didn't mention your budget , get the most Spektrum Transmitter you can afford :
https://www.horizonhobby.com/radios/...-to-high&sz=24

If you enjoy building things , you can build your own planes ( what I do ) for $30-$40 . I use cheap foam from the Dollar Tree store and cheap electronics from Value Hobby or HobbyKing . If you want to try that , I'll be glad to help .
Jul 19, 2021, 12:17 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Here's an example of what can be scratch built using cheap foam and cheap electronics :

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
Jul 19, 2021, 01:48 PM
Thread OP
deleted
Jul 19, 2021, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
You must have sold your old stuff. I'd recommend Spectrum, one of their entry level transmitters an receiver combos, unless you have aspirations of progressing in the hobby , then look at a one of the 6 channel combos. Some of the Spectrum RC systems are compatible with ARF E-Flite models that have stabilization systems. There are RC systems that are cheaper and have "Open" transmitters that have advantages if you are willing to learn to use their extra capabilities.. Servos are pretty much unchanged, there are more cheap micro servos available now. There a more brands of Lipo chargers now, you probably don't need anything fancy. I'd recommend an inexpensive AC/DC charger that can charge two battery packs at a time. There are a lot of speed controls now, I recommend you buy popular brands . Horizon hobby and Hobby King USA, are popular sources. You might find a lot of what you need in the classified forum. Recommend you contact Spectrum by phone and get advice on what RC system to buy . A lot of favorite online hobby suppliers have gone out of business.
Problems with China/US have cause delays in availability of foamy ARF models and prices have risen . BTW, you'll need to join AMA, register with FAA, and should join a club with some kind of beginner program and find a mentor to guide you on what to buy and where to buy.

Yes, I sold all my equipment in the classified section of this group at least 10 years ago. I had a Spektrum DX-7 TX, Thunder Dual Charger, Easy Star pusher prop plane & a scratch built foamy plus a bunch of batteries and other stuff. So, I found another Spektrum DX-7 TX that I'm going to buy which will be my beginning back into the hobby. Thank you for the sources to buy the other needed things such as batteries, servo's & motors. I'm sure it will all come back to me within a short time. I plan to visit a local HS tomorrow to see what I can find out from them, Maybe a club to visit that I don't know about. As for joining the AMA, why do you say I would Need to join? I have a field I can fly at and a few other open spaces around the area. Just curious.
Jul 19, 2021, 01:59 PM

AMA Sanction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash N Burn 1
Yes, I sold all my equipment in the classified section of this group at least 10 years ago. I had a Spektrum DX-7 TX, Thunder Dual Charger, Easy Star pusher prop plane & a scratch built foamy plus a bunch of batteries and other stuff. So, I found another Spektrum DX-7 TX that I'm going to buy which will be my beginning back into the hobby. Thank you for the sources to buy the other needed things such as batteries, servo's & motors. I'm sure it will all come back to me within a short time. I plan to visit a local HS tomorrow to see what I can find out from them, Maybe a club to visit that I don't know about. As for joining the AMA, why do you say I would Need to join? I have a field I can fly at and a few other open spaces around the area. Just curious.
To fly at an AMA sanctioned field you must join the organization. Most clubs are sanctioned. The AMA also provides liability insurance if you damage something with your airplane. Got a private field, you're good to go.
Jul 19, 2021, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
In my opinion , the easiest-to-fly park flyer is the UMX Radian : https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../EFLU2950.html you can pre-order now for shipment in August .

Other very good park flyers are on this page : https://www.horizonhobby.com/airplan...-to-high&sz=24. The small ones are best for small parks , and if you fly a plane under 250 grams ( they are considered toys ) .... no need to register yourself with the FAA .

You didn't mention your budget , get the most Spektrum Transmitter you can afford :
https://www.horizonhobby.com/radios/...-to-high&sz=24

If you enjoy building things , you can build your own planes ( what I do ) for $30-$40 . I use cheap foam from the Dollar Tree store and cheap electronics from Value Hobby or HobbyKing . If you want to try that , I'll be glad to help .
Thanks for your reply. Yes I enjoy building foam planes. Here are pictures of my combat wing I built around 2009. I built 2, one for my friend who has since passed way & one for myself. We used to have a blast doing battle with those things. So, I'm looking for a pusher type plane like the Easy Star I once had because they seem to be easier & more forgiving to start off with, and of course I'll be visiting the Dollar store for my foam board soon. I'll search out electronics and maybe you can help with that. I'm all about doing things on a budget. Give me some idea on what you use for motors, mini servo's, lipo's and anything else. You can Private Message me and we can go from there. Thank you
Jul 19, 2021, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Flyer
To fly at an AMA sanctioned field you must join the organization. Most clubs are sanctioned. The AMA also provides liability insurance if you damage something with your airplane. Got a private field, you're good to go.
Thank you for the info - Yes I have access to private fields but will consider rejoining the AMA, I was a member years ago when I was more involved in RC flying.
Jul 19, 2021, 02:54 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Yes I enjoy building foam planes. Here are pictures of my combat wing I built around 2009. I built 2, one for my friend who has since passed way & one for myself. We used to have a blast doing battle with those things. So, I'm looking for a pusher type plane like the Easy Star I once had because they seem to be easier & more forgiving to start off with, and of course I'll be visiting the Dollar store for my foam board soon. I'll search out electronics and maybe you can help with that. I'm all about doing things on a budget. Give me some idea on what you use for motors, mini servo's, lipo's and anything else. You can Private Message me and we can go from there. Thank you
A very good pusher you can scratch build is the EzFly , I've built dozens for myself and others over the years . If built with low wing loading , an EzFly can be very slow flying ( see video below ) . I build them out of foam board from the Dollar Tree store , with lightweight electronics from Value Hobby or HobbyKing . To save weight , I peel the paper skins off of the Dollar Tree Foam Board ( DTFB ) . The paper skins peel off easily if you first get them wet , then let them dry for about 10 minutes . I also extend the wingspan to about 40" for lighter wing loading .

From Value Hobby , here are the electronics I use for a lightweight EzFly :

Motor : http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html

ESC : http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...alker-12a.html they are currently out of stock , but a slightly heavier 20A ESC will also work .

Servos : http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...cro-servo.html

Battery : http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ah-3s-jst.html. be sure to get matching connector for your ESC

Props : http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...ive-10pcs.html or better quality : http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...-x-5-prop.html

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)

If you want to build an EzFly , I'll be glad to help .
Jul 19, 2021, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
balsa or carbon Looks like fun. Yes, I'd be interested in building one of your EzFly planes. How would we work together on this project? Is there a way to do video chat through FB, discord or other? Let me know. I'm buying my TX tonight so over the next week or so I will gather up what I need. What is the difference between a ECS Brushless Speed Control and a Non Brushless ESC?
Jul 19, 2021, 06:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
balsa or carbon Looks like fun. Yes, I'd be interested in building one of your EzFly planes. How would we work together on this project? Is there a way to do video chat through FB, discord or other? Let me know. I'm buying my TX tonight so over the next week or so I will gather up what I need. What is the difference between a ECS Brushless Speed Control and a Non Brushless ESC?
Helping you right here in this thread is easiest for me : I can post info , photos , and videos . I visit RC Groups every day ( retired old fart ) , so I won't miss any questions etc you may have .

Here are the plans for the EzFly ( PDF file ) : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&d=1334660760. For a standard size EzFly , you'll want to print at 100% .... tiled plans . Have you downloaded/printed plans before ? If not , I can show you how .

In the photos below are the foam board pieces you should get from the plans . The EzFly is a profile foamy : vertical flat pieces attached to horizontal flat pieces .

There are two types of electric motor for RC planes : brushed ( older technology ) and brushless ( newer technology ) . I recommend using a brushless motor , which will require a compatible brushless motor ESC .
Jul 19, 2021, 06:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Helping you right here in this thread is easiest for me : I can post info , photos , and videos . I visit RC Groups every day ( retired old fart ) , so I won't miss any questions etc you may have .

Here are the plans for the EzFly ( PDF file ) : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&d=1334660760. For a standard size EzFly , you'll want to print at 100% .... tiled plans . Have you downloaded/printed plans before ? If not , I can show you how .

In the photos below are the foam board pieces you should get from the plans . The EzFly is a profile foamy : vertical flat pieces attached to horizontal flat pieces .

There are two types of electric motor for RC planes : brushed ( older technology ) and brushless ( newer technology ) . I recommend using a brushless motor , which will require a compatible brushless motor ESC .

Thank you for the effort, appreciate it. I dl'd the plans but I can't make heads or tails out of them. I'm neither Tech nor Architecturally inclined LOL, sorry.
Jul 19, 2021, 06:26 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
BTW , you can get an EzFly as an EPP kit from the designer : http://fancyfoam.com/EzFly-Trainer-Kit_p_105.html $10 off if you select white ( unpainted ) . EPP is a very tough foam that takes bumpy landings well . If it does break , it's a clean break that is easily repaired with low temp hot glue or other foam safe glue .

If you were to get the EPP kit : before assembly , you could trace the foam pieces to make templates .... then use the templates for future DTFB builds .
Jul 19, 2021, 06:37 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Thank you for the effort, appreciate it. I dl'd the plans but I can't make heads or tails out of them. I'm neither Tech nor Architecturally inclined LOL, sorry.
Go ahead and print the plans at 100% , then cut out templates for the pieces .The two photos show the vertical & horizontal pieces you should get from the plans . If you mess up , it's easy enough to print a second set of plans .

The plans show only a half-wing ( to the c/l center line ) , so print or make templates for two wing-halves . To make a whole wing , join one half-wing to the second half-wing .

Quick Reply