Thread Tools
Jul 19, 2021, 08:18 AM
Registered User
Crash N Burn 1's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Returning to the Hobby Advice


ADMIN - I wasn't sure where to post so Please move if posted in wrong forum - It's been years, 10 or more. There's no one in my area that I know that fly's RC Planes and I need some advice getting back into the hobby. The TX I used back then was a Spektrum DX-7 to fly my Easy Star & a few small electrics. I'm thinking about buying another DX-7. I plan to fly small electrics that require 4/5 channels & doubt I'll find anyone in the area that can help me. I've looked at the AMA page for clubs in my area & there's none close enough. The reason for the DX-7 is because I'm familiar with it & I can buy a new one for a fair price. I'm sure technology has come a long way in 10 years. So, what are some suggestions, thoughts for and old dog returning to the ring? Thanks

NOTE: I'm live in South Eastern Massachusetts near Rhode Island. If anyone knows of a club or group close by, please let me know so I can get involved. Thanks again
Last edited by Crash N Burn 1; Jul 19, 2021 at 08:43 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2021, 08:48 AM
Registered User
sparrow1's Avatar
Hello!! Welcome back

My first question is weather or not you are still confident in your abilities?

If you want to start from scratch, i personally suggest grabbing a 6-8 channel spectrum radio,( 6 for simpler flaps/ gear planes, 8 for more complexity room to grow).
as well as any of the horizon hobby Apprentice series planes. In this way i was able to abvance fairly quickly without any outside help.

If you are confident in your abilities still, i would still suggest the 6-8 ch radio, but getting any plane of you liking so long as it has safe, it is a nice little safty net when flying alone.

Good luck!!
-matt
Jul 19, 2021, 09:59 AM
Registered User
Crash N Burn 1's Avatar
Thread OP
Thanks for your reply Matt - LOL, Confident, NO - Hence the name "Crash N Burn"..... I am thinking about getting another Spektrum DX-7 like the one I had. I'm just wondering if technology has left that TX behind. Will I be able to find RX & Servo's that will work with it. I'm a little lost as there's no one in my area, no clubs close by to go pick their brains on what I need & don't need. I'm a little anxious right now to say the least. I don't want to make any costly mistakes. So any advice is welcome for sure. As for planes. Pusher Prop to start back in with. I had an Easy Star back years ago & modified it to the max, was a lot of fun. I built my own foamies too. So that's basically what I'm looking for so any suggestions on First Timer Planes would be helpful also. Do they still sell Prop Savers or is there something better now? Thanks again
Jul 19, 2021, 11:54 AM
Registered User
sparrow1's Avatar
hey of course, 10 yrs is a really long time in the age of tech lol, these days ALL electronics i.e.. servos esc's retracts etc. work with any radio manufacturer so long as the TX and RX are of the same brand as to connect to each other. yes,prop savers are still use albeit almost exclusively on light profile planes.
right now all you need is a tx, Batteries, Charger, and of course a plane.

now, i have not personally heard of a very recent 7ch transmitter but that doesn't mean there isn't one, however here is a list if the most recent radios i can find in the 6-8 range. In this list the DX is the latest series, and the NX is the current series. i suggest grabbing one of the 6chs as even i have not used more then that yet.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/radios/...-matches&sz=24

now onto planes, i started with the mini apprentice and i cant speak higher of it gotten up to 30min flight times with careful flying, and with 10 min being average. that being said that was several years ago now and we now have several new versions and planes to chose from what i have hear are really good beginner planes. all of these have RTF versions where they come with their own transmitter.
scratch building your own trainer plane is NEVER recommended and almost always comes with the perspective pilot leaving the hobby. it is best to learn how to fly on a proven design before moving on to scratch builds.

e-flight apprentice 1.2m (my starter) https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../HBZ31500.html
e-flight apprentice 1.5m (bigger version of the above) https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...e/EFL3750.html
hobby zone areoscout 1.1m (pusher prop) https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../HBZ38500.html
or if you want a bit more to grow into while still having the trainer abilities
carbon cub s 1.3m https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../HBZ32500.html

as for a charger i use the imax b6 (pretty old by now) which you can probably find on amazon, however any charger with a balance and storage option are good.

keep asking questions it only helps everyone!!
-matt
Jul 19, 2021, 01:14 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
eflightray's Avatar
Crash, I still use my Spektrum Dx7 Generation 1 as my main and only transmitter, and with a full 20 model memory. Great and uncomplicated system.

Think really hard about changing it, as I'm sure there will be a few members trying to pressure you into getting the latest 'all singing and dancing system', (this month).

Ray.
Jul 19, 2021, 02:00 PM
c/f
c/f
Registered User
Just a heads up

The older version of a DX7 still used JR Propo manufacturing with the look of JR and software style of menus and setpoint entry.

Since Spektrum went exclusive NON JR PROPO produced transmitters or software, they took off on their own low bidder manufacture search, and a change in software methodology of menus and setpoint entry.

If your used to the old JR Propo produced stylish DX7 stick with it, If your DX7 is of the newer change to Spektrum manufacturing your good there as well too

Also if you like ole school DYK that a nice JR 9303 module style TX you can buy modules for each of the platforms that operates with Futaba FASST, FRSKY, Spektrum DSM2/DSMX,72MH 75Mhz

If you really want to know where the radio evolution is going it is smart receiver platforms with gyros, altimeters, gps, speed fuel usage energy usage, amps temps rpms, and voice telemetry, also WIFI, Bluetooth , MP3, hard drive with access to help menu instructions onboard. No laptop/cables/interfaces ect to program within receivers and third party devices and best part is all this is under $1K still. Not saying this is where your head is at.

Too me one usually knows what they need beyond the basics.

Good Luck with your quest.........
Latest blog entry: Times up,,......
Jul 19, 2021, 02:35 PM
Registered User
Crash N Burn 1's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f
Just a heads up

The older version of a DX7 still used JR Propo manufacturing with the look of JR and software style of menus and setpoint entry.

Since Spektrum went exclusive NON JR PROPO produced transmitters or software, they took off on their own low bidder manufacture search, and a change in software methodology of menus and setpoint entry.

If your used to the old JR Propo produced stylish DX7 stick with it, If your DX7 is of the newer change to Spektrum manufacturing your good there as well too

Also if you like ole school DYK that a nice JR 9303 module style TX you can buy modules for each of the platforms that operates with Futaba FASST, FRSKY, Spektrum DSM2/DSMX,72MH 75Mhz

If you really want to know where the radio evolution is going it is smart receiver platforms with gyros, altimeters, gps, speed fuel usage energy usage, amps temps rpms, and voice telemetry, also WIFI, Bluetooth , MP3, hard drive with access to help menu instructions onboard. No laptop/cables/interfaces ect to program within receivers and third party devices and best part is all this is under $1K still. Not saying this is where your head is at.

Too me one usually knows what they need beyond the basics.

Good Luck with your quest.........

Thank you and I appreciate all your knowledge but it's a little TMI for me. I follow the "KISS" principle in most everything I do in life. I try not to over complicate things because that's where I get in trouble. I found a fairly new Spektrum DX-7, not sure of it's technology but expect it to work as my last DX-7 did, Hoping anyway. I'm sure I'll be asking many more questions as the days come & hopefully I'll have guys like you to answer those. Again, I appreciate your knowledge & experience in the hobby. I wish I didn't take the hiatus I did but sometimes there's no choice. Happy flying.

NOTE: This is the information the Seller gave me on the Spektrum DX-7 I'm interested in buying. You could decipher the info better than me if you would.


SELLER: TX is new and never used. I was going to use for electric planes and glider This Radio is DSM2 protocol. The DSMX RX is backward compatible with DSM2 RX will work. Yes the whole system is working
fine. I just had too many radios yes it include the box and owners manual. I just put brand new servos in the box is basically the same as Spektrum 821 servos but better This radio is build the same as JR (7202) radio in the past This is the first JR/Spektrum came out also first 2.4 GHz radio came in the market.
Jul 19, 2021, 11:09 PM
Registered User
Crash N Burn 1's Avatar
Thread OP
Any Thoughts on this information provided by the seller? SELLER: TX is new and never used. I was going to use for electric planes and glider This Radio is DSM2 protocol. The DSMX RX is backward compatible with DSM2 RX will work. I just put brand new servos in the box is basically the same as Spektrum 821 servos but better This radio is build the same as JR (7202) radio in the past This is the first JR/Spektrum came out also first 2.4 GHz radio came in the market.
Jul 20, 2021, 02:42 PM
c/f
c/f
Registered User
Yes, that is of the older JR Propo generation of manufacturing and menus within the screens I'm guessing your original vintage DX7 was. KISS is the best thats why I say you generally know you need something better just like when you decided buying reverse servos and no expo was for the birds.

Funny story, When the DX7 first came out people where putting the RF section guts directly into a JR 7202 because they felt the menus where better, that is why the seller references the 7202. People thought it would be illegal to do such without an FCC tech license as was the case with 72mhz, but they quickly found out 2.4G is a hobbyist/toy grade category and needed no such tech to migrate the guts into another TX.
Latest blog entry: Times up,,......
Jul 20, 2021, 06:37 PM
Registered User
Crash N Burn 1's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f
Yes, that is of the older JR Propo generation of manufacturing and menus within the screens I'm guessing your original vintage DX7 was. KISS is the best thats why I say you generally know you need something better just like when you decided buying reverse servos and no expo was for the birds.

Funny story, When the DX7 first came out people where putting the RF section guts directly into a JR 7202 because they felt the menus where better, that is why the seller references the 7202. People thought it would be illegal to do such without an FCC tech license as was the case with 72mhz, but they quickly found out 2.4G is a hobbyist/toy grade category and needed no such tech to migrate the guts into another TX.
Thank you. Honestly I don't understand most of what you've told me about the TX. I'm just hoping, since I already paid the guy for it, that it turns out to be a good TX for what I need. I'm only going to be flying by myself, private field and only flying Foamy's & Pusher Props mostly. That's about as serious as I'll get. So in Short - Does it sound like a good radio for $100.00? Here's a picture of it.
Jul 20, 2021, 11:19 PM
rrg
rrg
Registered User
rrg's Avatar
Nice deal, considering all the goodies that came with it. Looks clean to. I still fly my DX7....
Jul 21, 2021, 12:03 AM
Registered User
Crash N Burn 1's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg
Nice deal, considering all the goodies that came with it. Looks clean to. I still fly my DX7....
Supposedly Brand New Unused but time will tell. Expected Friday. Great to hear, Thanks
Last edited by Crash N Burn 1; Jul 21, 2021 at 01:41 PM.
Jul 21, 2021, 04:06 PM
RCG -Minus Member
microflitedude's Avatar
I'd change out the battery if it's been sitting in a box for the last decade.
Jul 21, 2021, 08:26 PM
Registered User
Crash N Burn 1's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by microflitedude
I'd change out the battery if it's been sitting in a box for the last decade.
Fortunately the TX Battery is Brand New, I guess he had an extra one he just got & decided to include it. Thanks for the advice
Jul 21, 2021, 08:40 PM
Registered User
Crash N Burn 1's Avatar
Thread OP
...delete How do you Delete Double Replies?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sent the wrong parts, suggestions for Hobby King return process. CybrGuy HobbyKing 4 Oct 18, 2015 03:42 PM
Discussion Return Defective Lipo to Hobby King U.S.? HoosierGuy Batteries and Chargers 8 Oct 05, 2015 02:13 PM
Discussion returning to hobby, electric advice wanted floatingbiomed Electric Plane Talk 9 Oct 28, 2010 08:18 PM
Help! Returning to hobby after 5 years, need advice. spencer6891 Power Systems 6 Aug 21, 2010 10:31 PM
Discussion Returning to the hobby! Advice? Trizza Electric Plane Talk 6 Feb 22, 2010 12:47 AM