0-60 Faster than a Telsa?

Engineering After Hours set out to build an electric RC car that was capable of out performing the not yet released Tesla Roadster and the car he came up with to do it is pretty awesome.

Splash

Custom Traxxas Slash with Extreme Downforce

This is a fun watch. Youtuber Engineering After Hours set out to build an electric RC car that was capable of out performing the not yet released Tesla Roadster and the car he came up with to do it is pretty awesome. He completely modifies a Traxxas Slash and turns it into some kind of futuristic looking race car that sucks to the road with loads of downforce thanks to the twin ducted fans on either side. That downforce offers a ton of traction and allowed him to accelerate to 60MPH in just 1.4 seconds besting the Tesla stated number by .6 seconds. What do you guys think? Could you make this car any faster?

Jul 20, 2021, 12:04 PM
This is awesome! My only thought would be to use a brush skirt instead of hard plastic. It'll last longer and respond to the ground quicker plus stay in contact with the ground without pushing on the body. Depending on the stiffness of the brush and length, you could still maintain high hg.
Jul 20, 2021, 03:36 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Great idea! I thought it was interesting to see engineering for acceleration vs top speed overall.
Jul 22, 2021, 07:51 PM
worth doing = worth overdoing
Looks like the EDF's might work better if they weren't running backwards
Jul 23, 2021, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdog
Looks like the EDF's might work better if they weren't running backwards
Huh? They're running correctly. They're there for downthrust, not lateral thrust (although their 45 degree vector is giving some lateral thrust as well).
Jul 24, 2021, 06:33 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
The Frikin Fans are installed backward and the blades are turning backward also.
Engineers aren't the brightest are they.....

Huh? They're running correctly.
Reversed rotation on the actual fan blade. When is the last time you changed a prop?
The whole unit is backward silly
Jul 24, 2021, 02:08 PM
Site Aspie
It looks like your fan is installed backwards and with reversed motor rotation, is that correct? Running the fans in reverse like that to reverse the flow direction is extremely inefficient. Turn them around and they work a LOT better.

I design EDFs.
Last edited by Lynxman; Jul 24, 2021 at 02:18 PM.
Jul 24, 2021, 11:10 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Absolutely amazing insights into physics and engineering. You're way smarter than I am.

Tom
Jul 25, 2021, 06:30 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
I wonder -- if he took a page from the Lotus 78 design, he could have achieved what he was looking for in a better way.
Jul 26, 2021, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
I wonder -- if he took a page from the Lotus 78 design, he could have achieved what he was looking for in a better way.
That was a car ! , Didn't the whole body float on the chassis and have rollers where it touched the ground , you could do something similar buy mounting the body on springs but it would need a whole purpose made body .
Great idea this anyway and he's really made it work and that's very impressive !
Jul 26, 2021, 08:42 AM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
That was a car ! , Didn't the whole body float on the chassis and have rollers where it touched the ground , you could do something similar buy mounting the body on springs but it would need a whole purpose made body .
Great idea this anyway and he's really made it work and that's very impressive !
If I remember correctly, the chassis had rubber skirts that contacted the ground.
Jul 26, 2021, 12:29 PM
Site Aspie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Unpowered ground effect will not help with off the line acceleration. The fans increase traction from a stand still.
Jul 26, 2021, 05:00 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Which is why you would do both.
Aug 03, 2021, 10:55 PM
Here’s the original.

Quick Reply