Sep 10, 2021, 10:24 AM
Do you see what I see?
Nice!

& I have to ask what camera did you use on your Radian, looks really nice & did you have a filter on there cuz your prop showed minimal lines on your video! I liked your placement on her Horizontal Stab/Elevator how ever you did that!

Coconut
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2021, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight
There is not a port for a variometer. It wouldn’t do much good if it had one. The receiver is “fly-by” telemetry. You wouldn’t get altitude data if you were “up there” anyway. I did the PNP and put an AR637T in it so I have full range telemetry and altitude. It was more expensive but I got what should have been in it to begin with.

I also did the Wingnut light controller. The stock LED controller is adequate but the Wingnut controller has worthwhile features.
I just red this nice article about the "Wingnut Tech Night Radian LED Controller Review" in RCgroups which also points to the need in the market for having this as a standard item in the Night Radian. I earlier mentioned another improvement in this tread to HH. So when the next version Night Radian (V3) comes I really do hope that the AR637T and the Wingnut controller will be default components into this nice night motor glider. I'm sure for $40 more then the current BNF V2 version this "hopefully V3" version will make more folks happy and for HH will sell better then the previous one's.
Sep 11, 2021, 04:17 PM
DW Productions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bento
I just red this nice article about the "Wingnut Tech Night Radian LED Controller Review" in RCgroups which also points to the need in the market for having this as a standard item in the Night Radian. I earlier mentioned another improvement in this tread to HH. So when the next version Night Radian (V3) comes I really do hope that the AR637T and the Wingnut controller will be default components into this nice night motor glider. I'm sure for $40 more then the current BNF V2 version this "hopefully V3" version will make more folks happy and for HH will sell better then the previous one's.
I agree it really should have the AR637T and possibly a light control switch option. I wonder if it could be a matter of space or how much electronics can you put before it becomes a potential problem. If there is a V3 I'm sure it will be awesome. I'll put up with my V2 for now. Heading to buy some bug spray then go flying it tonight.
Sep 11, 2021, 06:06 PM

Lightweight camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
Nice!

& I have to ask what camera did you use on your Radian, looks really nice & did you have a filter on there cuz your prop showed minimal lines on your video! I liked your placement on her Horizontal Stab/Elevator how ever you did that!

Coconut
Hi Coconut, the Two cameras used are only 17g & 22g so when checking the CG on this model, it does not seem to mind the bit of weight on the tail. The insta go seems to handle the prop wash with very little lines, unlike other cameras. Keep safe & well
Sep 11, 2021, 08:55 PM
I had my first evening flight with mine. It’s so much fun. It’s a nice break from EDF’s and warbirds. Very relaxing.

Eflite Night Radian (4 min 31 sec)
Sep 11, 2021, 09:18 PM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellairvideo
Hi Coconut, the Two cameras used are only 17g & 22g so when checking the CG on this model, it does not seem to mind the bit of weight on the tail. The insta go seems to handle the prop wash with very little lines, unlike other cameras. Keep safe & well
Ah got it!!

Thanks for the info!

Coconut
Sep 11, 2021, 09:43 PM
DW Productions
Here's a quick flight video we shot tonight after an awesome day of IMAC and jet flying at Gateway RC in Jacksonville. The Night Radian is so relaxing it's almost hypnotic.

E-flite Night Radian 2 0 RC Glider Relaxing Night (2 min 1 sec)
Sep 13, 2021, 06:18 AM
I just want to go fly!
That’s exactly why I love my mini Radion. So relaxing and a nice change of pace after 60 size classic pattern planes.
Sep 20, 2021, 08:25 PM

Update on Modifications to Radian

So I made the modifications, I moved the servos to the tail. I cut out a section of the tail under the horizontal stabilizer, mounted and glued the servos into the space, pulled out the control rods and pushrods, cut the pushrods down to size, and then just taped a carbon rod to the side to stiffen up the fuselage. It's ugly, but it works, and works well.

It flies great, despite the problems with the workmanship of this sailplane, all is forgiven, it flies so damn well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning
So a while ago I purchased a Radian, and discovered that one of the servos was bad out of the box. I ordered a couple of replacement servos, but it seems I wasn't paying enough attention and I ordered much smaller servos, a pair of Corona DS843MG Servos. I was looking at how to fit them in the servo bay, when I started wondering maybe I should mount these much smaller servos on the tail, like a Phoenix 2400, and just remove the push rods all together? I had also planned on inserting a carbon tube in the base of the fuselage to stiffen it. I have just discovered that there seems to be a tunnel made in the bottom of the fuselage, currently containing an LED strip and an extension cable to the rear lights. I was wondering about exposing this tunnel, inserting the carbon tube into the tunnel, and also using the tube as a conduit for the servo extensions leads.

Just wondered what you guys thought about this, any thing I should be aware of or consider?

What is the best way to open up the fuselage and insert a carbon tube?

John
Oct 19, 2021, 09:24 PM
cmd
cmd
We’ve had two club members in the last month receive new Night Radians in which the elevator channel in the receiver refused to work. Servos tested good. Anyone else had their BNF aircraft delivered with a bad receiver?
Oct 21, 2021, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd
We’ve had two club members in the last month receive new Night Radians in which the elevator channel in the receiver refused to work. Servos tested good. Anyone else had their BNF aircraft delivered with a bad receiver?
At my club we had a similar problem, but it was with the servos. Both new NR had a single servo failures out of the box
Oct 22, 2021, 09:20 AM
I had a bad servo too. HH sent me a replacement. Ready for first flight.
Oct 25, 2021, 10:45 AM
killickb
Finally got my lights working with the WingNut controller -- I had four of the five LED strings fail, thought it was the controller but was not.

New issue ! Changed the stock Rx to a 637T so could use Tx for in flight light programming but now getting this annoying "Smart pack low voltage" message and beeping on my Tx when I know my pack is just fine. Usually happens when I throttle up and after about two minutes of flight duration.

This is my only model with a Spektrum A3X/Safe Rx -- find no real need to have Safe or stabilisation in my models and certainly will NEVER buy a Smart pack. For my Vario/Altitude telemetry needs I have always used a Lemon Rx and never a problem, least of all a low voltage message !

Anyway, is there a way to eliminate this "low voltage" warning ? Is it something built into the 637T telemetry protocol ? Is it a response to a standard built in voltage level that can be changed thru Tx forward programming ?

Thanks,
Oct 26, 2021, 05:53 AM
killickb,

You might want to examine the telemetry settings in your transmitter. Also, make sure your transmitter has the latest software update.
Oct 26, 2021, 07:54 AM
Setting a pack voltage warning isn’t really practical. It turns into a nuisance. If you set say 11.0V, you will be getting warnings as the voltage sags under throttle well before the battery is really down to that level. Turn off the warning in the telemetry settings and just set it to give you a pack voltage announcement once a minute or something like that. I fly mine with a 2S backup battery. For that I have a warning set up if the receiver voltage drops to 4.5V. The only way for the receiver to drop that far in voltage (since receiver voltage is normally steady at around 5.0V) is if it is getting powered by the backup 2S battery. Then there is no doubt there is a problem and it’s time to land.

Quick Reply