Insta360 GO 2 RCGroups Review

The tiny Insta360 GO 2 sets a new standard in micro video recording.

Splash

Introduction

Weight: 26.5g (28g with lens protector)
Size: 52.9 x 23.6 x 20.7mm (2.08 x 0.93 x 0.81in)
Max Video Resolution: [email protected]
Run Time: 30min (standalone) 150min (in case)
Max Clip Length: Up to 30 minutes
Sensor: 1/2.3
Storage: 32GB
Price: $299.00
Available at: Insta360

The Insta360 GO was an incredible camera, it was small, lightweight, easy to use and worked well for flying with small drones. You can see my review on the original GO here. It wasn't perfect though and lacked in some important areas like resolution and battery life. The GO 2 is a major improvement in these areas and more, but it comes at the cost of size, weight and price. GO 2 is $100 more than the GO, is a littler bulkier and weighs just a bit more too. It's capable of a lot of fun adventures, but this review will focus more on using it as video recording camera with micro FPV drones.

What's in the Box

Inside the box, you'll find the camera first and then all of the accessories underneath. Insta360 did a great job providing a premium experience when unboxing the goodies. Here's a list of all the items you'll find in the box.

• Insta360 GO 2
  • Charge Case
  • Magnet Pendant
  • Easy Clip
  • Pivot Stand
  • Charge Cable
  • USB Cable
  • Instruction Guides

Insta360 also included the Mount Adapter Bundle:

Features

Size and Weight

While it is larger and heavier than the original GO, the GO 2 is still is an amazingly small and portable camera. It comes in at 28g with the lens protector on and it's still about the size of your thumb. The charging case is about the size the of an airpods case and easily fits in your pocket.

Recording Time

The GO was limited to 5 minutes of recording in FPV Mode, but the GO 2 can be set to record up to 30 minute clips.

Lens Protection & ND Filters

This has to be one of my favorite new features. The camera has a screw-on lens protector that is included. You can purchase replacements and if you crash your drone and damage the lens protector, you can simply unscrew it and put on a new one. The lens protector can also be swapped out with ND filters made for the GO 2 to give you greater control over the exposure in various lighting conditions.

Live Video Preview

Another great update is the ability to connect to your mobile device and see a live video preview of what the camera sees. This will make it much easier to aim the camera on your drone and make sure you have the perfect angle.

Wireless Transfer

To get to your videos and photos with the GO, you had to put the camera into the charge base and connect the base physically to your mobile device. No more with the GO 2, it can connect and transfer files wirelessly which is so much more convenient.

Horizon Leveling

The GO 2 offers even better stabilization than the already great GO and that includes horizon leveling. No matter which way the camera is rotated, the horizon will remain level in your footage when that feature is turned on in Pro Video Mode. This is great for cinematic style flying, but you'll want it turned off for freestyle. You can easily toggle horizon lock on/off in the app when viewing your video.

Resolution & Frame Rate

The GO 2 gets a nice bump in resolution and frame rate to 1440P and 50fps. That provides smooth clear footage that looks great, especially on social media and mobile devices. No 4K yet, but maybe we'll see that in the next iteration.

Memory

GO 2 has 32GB of internal memory storage capacity. That's going to store about 30 minutes worth of videos on board and with the ability to wirelessly transfer videos to your phone, you should not need to worry about running out of room.

Interface

GO 2 Camera

The GO 2 has a simple single button. The button is located on the front and makes up nearly the entire front face of the unit. That's a pro and a con for me. While it is easy to use and access, it can be too easy and I've found myself accidentally pressing the button when handling the camera or installing it into a mount. The button is used to turn the camera on and off and start/stop recording so I ended up with several 1-3 second unintended clips from accidental button presses. There is no screen on the camera itself, but there is single LED light to indicate its status. There is an option to lock out the button from start/stop recording so that it will only turn the camera on and off. In that case you would need to use the charge case or your phone via the app to trigger the shutter.

Tripod Case

I am really impressed with the new charging case as it's more than just a charger. It functions as a charger, tripod mount and a control device for the camera. It has a screen and two buttons you can use to adjust camera parameters and activate the camera shutter. The screen does not show a live preview, but does give you data like battery status of the case and camera, what mode you are shooting in, memory available, etc.

App

The Insta360 app is the other way you can interact with the GO 2. Once your device is connected to the camera, you can actually see a live preview from the camera which helps in framing shots. You can activate the shutter, change settings, view recorded videos and photos, download the files to your device and edit them, all right in the app. The app has a ton of features and is a huge part of what makes the GO 2 so awesome.

Video Specs

You can record 1440P or 1080P at 30 or 50fps which is a great bump up in resolution and frame rate from GO. While it's not 4K, the 1440P footage does look noticeably better than the former camera's 1080P 25fps footage.

Drone Mounting

The GO 2 is similar to the GO in that you'll need some sort of mount to install it on your drone. There are some 3D printed mounts you can make or you can use one of the official Insta360 mounts. The Mount Adapter bundle that Insta360 sent gave me several mounts to try. I started with the Magnetic Screw Mount, but had some vibrations showing up in the footage. I switched to the Action Mount Adapter and that worked great. I like that it secured the camera well and keeps it from flying out in a drone crash.

Videos

Conclusion

The GO 2 is a major upgrade over the GO. Sure it costs more and is a little larger and heavier, but that's well worth the increased resolution, runtime and feature improvements. It's the ultimate grab and go camera for vacations, Vlogs and it does a fantastic job with mini/micro FPV drones. The only thing I didn't really like was the front button that is just too easy to accidentally press, but other than that it's just an awesome little camera and ecosystem with the Insta360 app. You are not going to find anything better in a comparable size that offers this level of stabilization and feature set.

(UPDATE): Insta360 reached out to me to let me know you can "lock" the button on the front of the camera so it will only turn the camera on and off and not start/stop recording. That will prevent the accidental recordings, but you would have to use the case or your phone via the app to start/stop recording in that case. It's nice to know that is an option.

Click here to see the Insta360 GO 2

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jul 31, 2021 at 06:11 PM..
Aug 12, 2021, 12:43 PM
Just fly...
Been wanting to get the GO 2 mainly for mountain biking and personal family adventures. The cost definitely the one thing that's keeping me away.
I have had the DJI Osmo Action for almost 2 yrs and it's been an awesome camera. I also have a couple of gopros, which suck BTW, and I'll choose the Action any day.

I asked Insta360 if they had a trade up program for the Go 2, unfortunately, they dont. I'll gladly replace the gopros with the Go2! lol

Can't wait for the DJI Action 2... and the DJI Mini 3!

Thanks for the reviews!
Jun C

Quick Reply