Jul 08, 2021, 12:05 AM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Thread OP
Build Log

1:12 PBR MK.II build thread

Time to start a build on one of my favorite subjects. I have already completed a mk.I in 1:18 but it was too toy like on the water and didn’t run jets.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1-build-thread

This 1:12 scale hull is 32 inches long with a 12 inch beam. The hull was ordered through Modelshipsahoy and is scheduled to arrive this week. I have been collecting and printing parts for some time as this boat has always been in my queue. Jet drives are KMB 28’s and are mated to a couple of GTpower outrunners. Water cooled esc’s finish up the power.

Here is a list of planned features:

Reverse buckets for the twin jets. (Might try to fab the scale Jacuzzi types)
Diesel sound generator.
Lighting.
Rotating forward turret.
Vietnam era soundtrack via remote MP3 player.
Open to additional ideas.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2021, 06:13 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
This is going to be good-here's my easy build sound system-at the time it was under $10 and runs off ship's battery.

VID 20180409 065839838 (0 min 23 sec)
Jul 08, 2021, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
Bob, I see what you did there. Have a link to the item?

DH
Jul 08, 2021, 03:19 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Things have changed in a short time-I cant find the exact one but its one of these-it will even run off your BEC-this one is out of stock-I'll try to look more tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.in/DEEP-GLOBAL-Co.../dp/B078NWMDCG
Jul 08, 2021, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
No need to look Bob, I found several that will work.

Thanks,

DH
Jul 08, 2021, 05:21 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Great... BTW I found that the Bluetooth is not worth using... It's only good for 15 or 20 ft and then you start losing it...
Jul 08, 2021, 08:07 PM
Amateur Radio Station N4GKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
This is going to be good-here's my easy build sound system-at the time it was under $10 and runs off ship's battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFC5vSdUtBA
Good God, anyone but Jimmy Buffett.
Jul 08, 2021, 08:08 PM
Amateur Radio Station N4GKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
Great... BTW I found that the Bluetooth is not worth using... It's only good for 15 or 20 ft and then you start losing it...
I lose it in the car by the radio.
Jul 08, 2021, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Unfortunate son on loop I’m predicting.
Jul 09, 2021, 01:51 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Very cool! And I'm sure that you'll have separately controllable buckets so that you can do a proper PBR turn...
Jul 09, 2021, 05:09 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
With the micro SD card I run over 50 songs...sorry with these self contained players you can't loop them unless you record them that way (I just select off and reselect on to start the run again)-I can easily think of 50 songs from that time period-Fortunate Son is a great start, Satisfaction- a good second.-BG

A separate thread for a PBR playlist would be pretty cool cool...
Jul 10, 2021, 11:40 PM
Onward and Upward.
Neat, will be watching. We just got back from Carson City airport and there was a PBR sitting on a trailer across from the FBO.
Jul 16, 2021, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Hull showed up and the quality is quite good. Perfect laminate thickness on the hull and a nice light layup for the structure. Light gray gel coat is also nice. I did have an issue with jet and transom fit. The KMB drives are a bit oversized so I had to cut away the area and rebuild with a bit of G10. This will allow room for the steering and reverse pushrods and keep most of the drive inside the hull perimeter. Ideally, the jets would be perfect for an 1/8 scale boat. I am still considering printing a scale set of nozzles and buckets. More on that later.
Jul 17, 2021, 02:10 AM
Onward and Upward.
Seasoned builder, I see. Nice work. Do you run your boats in salt water, on the island? Is there any special maintenance for the jet drives? Thanks.
Last edited by PilatusPC12; Jul 17, 2021 at 10:15 AM.
Jul 17, 2021, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
I have run the jet drives in salt water. After use, I run the boats in a freshwater basin and coat the entire drive with WD40. Same process as my full-size boats.

Quick Reply