Nov 13, 2006, 09:53 PM

Croco Motor Winding Advice

I have a Croco with 20mm stator depth and 20,0 x 5,37 x 1,5 N48H magnets.

I would like to use 9 Lipo’s with a maximum current of 40 amps and turn a 13x9 APC propeller.

I am looking for advice on the wire size, number of turns, phases wired in series or parallel and termination of star or delta.

What RPM and efficiency can I achieve?

I am willing to try difficult winding schemes.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2006, 07:58 AM
Others may be able to give you a more accurate estimate, but I would start with 9 turns star, leaving all the ends long so I could change to delta if the current is too low. The change to delta will increase current with the same prop by a factor of about 1.7 or 1.8. Once you know the current with this setup with your preferred prop and perhaps others, we can help you estimate a more accurate second wind.

The number of turns is the prime determinator of a motor's characteristics. Thicker wire normally increases current, rpm and efficiency but only by a fairly small amount. So for the first wind I normally use a thickness that is thinner than optimum to make an easy start. So I use whatever I have in stock. I think a single 0.8mm strand will be quite easy. If you have thinner wire then work out the cross-sectional area (pi r squared) and use multiple strands to increase the overall area. A single thick strand can usually be wound more densely than multiple thinner strands, but your initial objective is to determine the number of turns rather than to maximise efficiency. When in doubt, simply wind two or three adjascent teeth to see if you can cope. I suggest you do not re-use wire as this is usually harder to wind again and is more likely to lead to shorts.
David.
Dec 07, 2006, 11:28 AM
edited
Last edited by prinz; Jun 10, 2007 at 04:25 PM.
Dec 09, 2006, 09:02 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Thread OP
You can contact Ralph in this 'powercroco' sub-sub-forum:
http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/boar...oardid=89&sid=

They are also doing a group order for curved magnets:
http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thre...id=134086&sid=

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Jul 25, 2014, 06:47 AM
Hi, can any one tell me how do I make a stator.
How do I fix the blades to form the stator, what kind of glue or resin for this purpose.

Thanks.
Jul 25, 2014, 07:04 AM
How do I fix the blades to form the stator, what kind of glue or resin for this purpose.

Thanks.
Jul 25, 2014, 05:31 PM
Rodney Ford
I still have my unbuilt croco kit. I should build it. I made a mandrel for mounting the stator laminates on but it was a bit loose so I need to do another one. Unfortunately the croco site is no more and I think the files I had on the croco are long gone. However I am still interested and it would be a waste not to build it.
I think maybe thin super glue run into the laminates once it was off the mandrel.
Rod
Jul 28, 2014, 09:15 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bragion.r
How do I fix the blades to form the stator, what kind of glue or resin for this purpose. ...
It's not something you can do yourself, special iron, lasercut or stamped&annealed.
Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Aug 01, 2014, 07:38 PM
Rodney Ford
Here is my kit. It is for a 15mm long stator but I have a lot more plates so i can make another motor.

Quick Reply