Jul 01, 2021, 08:56 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thread OP
Discussion

ABAK Super Looper Henry Cole 1947 control liner - Engine runs

Thanks to Bruce we have another build - Anything But A Kit....

My entry is the 1947 control liner by Henry Cole called Super Looper. It is from 1947, I will use scans from my original magazine and the wonderful outerzone plan. I have a Forster 29 just like on the plan ( 8-15 : changed to O&R .29 IGN ) but intend to run spark ignition and gas / oil fuel instead of glow. It's been 20 years since i flew in circles , so just getting this one airborne and enjoying the sound of the Forster ( O&R) will be a rush.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12185

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Oct 31, 2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: sp
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2021, 09:37 PM
Crafty madness
Looks fun!
Jul 03, 2021, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
Thanks BS. i think it does too.

The Forster has good fits / compression so some test runs will be done this summer to find out for sure and get a feel for handling it..

Model covering will be thermalspan on all surfaces. Im hoping the minwax will be gasoline / oil proof. It would be nice to spay on some rustoleum brand color after clear coats. Oh yes, the stock mounted fuel tank won't do so will try to duplicate the designers tank....

Nothing begun yet,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jul 03, 2021 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Sp
Jul 03, 2021, 04:26 PM
Culper Junior
Jeff, what is thermalspan? Anything like silkspan?
Jul 03, 2021, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Hi Jim - thermalspan is a synthetic tissue similar to polyspan. I like both but prefer thermalspan.

Best regards,

Jeff
Jul 04, 2021, 06:55 AM
I like thermals
Great project, Jeff. My dad and grandfather flew control line on spark ignition when they were first getting started in the late forties.
Jul 17, 2021, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks David....cool remembrance too....

All -

Found the Forster .29 , pics below. I want to test run on spark when time is available. The engine seems to have excellent fits yet and " should " run o.k. ( EDIT 8-15 -engine will be a late model O & R .29 IGN )
The Super Looper will be a slow build, no hurry on this one. However, i did print the article sheets today. A rib template is in the short term forecast...

More later,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Aug 15, 2021 at 01:13 PM. Reason: 8-15 engine update
Jul 18, 2021, 07:37 AM
Culper Junior
That’s cool you are using an original engine Jeff, most authentic build on rcg in a while.
Jul 19, 2021, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jim... I'm still using synthetic covering and water based polyurethane. May have to use a coat of oil based over that for gas / oil proofing ?

All -

A start on Super Looper last night has been to laminate the tail fin using two layers of balsa with the grain offset, with a very thin sheet of carbon fibre " tissue" between. The fuselage blanks are laid up and a few dots of model cement are drying to hold them together. Later, the scroll saw will cut these to shape. They are rock hard 1/4 sheet balsa. Some ammonia soaking may help bend these to the slight rear end curvature....edit - sides are cut , shaped and separated....

Who says the Ottoman Empire ended in 1922 ? His imperial Majesty enjoys HIS Ottoman...

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jul 19, 2021 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Addtl
Jul 21, 2021, 02:38 PM
B for Bruce
And don't even THINK about encroaching a wiggly finger past those Imperial borders....
Jul 21, 2021, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Or delicate toes He commands the high ground....

All -

A bit more progress on Super Looper..... Using Gorilla yellow wood glue , and poking a considerable number of pin pricks in the wood contact surfaces, the fuselage sides are now joined and drying..... More reinforcement will be added , but i need to mind that sheeting will cover the fuse top and bottom as well.... 18 ounces will be hard to maintain , I don't know how Hank Cole did that

More later,

jeff
Jul 25, 2021, 05:25 AM
I've got a Forster 29 like yours, runs great and quite powerful. I hope you can fly the model well away from housing etc as the Forster has quite a bark!
Jul 25, 2021, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the comments UK.... Yes, i was hoping this ignition engine would not be as loud as glow Forsters - " sounds " like wishful thinking. The good news is that this model will not be a regular flyer anyway, but still will be troublesome to find a flying spot. I had thought of a diesel but i don't think this minimal structure would hold together enough to even start one... ( Sharma .19 or K350 )

All -

Some progress on SL took place over the last few days. No hurry , and takes time for glue to cure. Not pictured are wing tips that were laminated from sheet balsa / cement , then cut out. The local Hobby Shop had some ( oak ??? ) just the right dimensions for the motor mounts. He also had a COX hobbies " Q-Tee " new old stock kit ( complete with Cox Black Widow ) i bought for a very good price. I will build this as electric when i get around to it.

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jul 25, 2021 at 07:37 PM.
Jul 30, 2021, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
All-

The Super Looper had slow progress this week... The elevator is now attached.... The bellcrank is attached also..... a stack of wing rib blanks are lightly spot glued then will be scroll sawed into some ribs. Then, a second stack ... The wing tips are waiting....

More later,

jeff
Aug 03, 2021, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
All -

SL progress today has been adding the top spar... Not much , but the yellow wood glue takes some time to cure... Will prep wing tip mounts and try to think about the tip weight called for....

More later,

jeff

Quick Reply