FTCA - A New CBO For the Hobby

The Flite Test crew are attempting to create a new CBO for the hobby!

Splash

Flite Test Community Association (FTCA)

I have had the pleasure of hanging out with Josh and the Flite Test crew at multiple events. I am a big fan of FT, they are always smiling and ready to have some RC fun. They also happen to be smart and savvy when it comes to the RC industry. When I started hearing through the grapevine that they were working on a new CBO for the hobby I was intrigued. More info has come out about this recently and I wanted to share it.

From Flite Test...

Goal

Flite Test Community Association (FTCA) is designed to be the hub where the people identifying with the community can rally together to promote the future of model aviation. Our vision is simple, we want to work towards the future of the hobby. That is why our motto is “Bringing Hope to the Hobby”.

Information

Flite Test Community Association (FTCA) is an independent, non-profit organization that was created to cultivate the community development effort to promote the world of model aviation. FTCA’s desire is to share the joy, passion and knowledge about model aviation as our mission to make flight accessible to everyone.

As the aviation community has grown we have recognized that we need an ambassador for the community. Through this journey we have also learned that more people would like to be involved in the efforts to achieve the potential the hobby can reach!

This is where the FTCA comes in! The FTCA will be the hub where the people of the community can rally together to promote the future of model aviation. Our vision is simple, we want to bring hope for the future of the hobby. That is why our motto is “Bringing Hope to the Hobby.” Our plan for accomplishing and maintaining this monumental task is by providing the community with the necessary tools for success.

Along with the tools for success the FTCA provides the essential requirements set forth by the government to actively participate in the hobby. As a member of the FTCA you will be a part of complying with the FAA model aviation standards for the hobby.

FTCA is in fact the community where you will find a place adhering to the government’s classification of a Community-Based Organization (CBO) by following these guidelines:

• Operating having the recognition as a 501c3 non-profit organization
  • Providing a location (e.g., Edgewater Airpark), and events (e.g., Flite Fest, etc.)
  • Providing education and training for new and existing pilots and modelers
  • Effectively and responsibly representing and advocating for the community
  • Providing safety guidelines to use for flight

Plan b (47 min 0 sec)

The guidelines above have not yet been implemented by the FAA, but they will be put into effect in the near future. FTCA wants to be ahead of the game when they do mandate them so our community members can continue to enjoy the hobby as we should.

The CBO recognition advisory circular from the FAA has not been released yet. It could be next month or later. We have been meeting the requirements since 2019. What we don't want to do is wait to file to be a CBO and rush to do it. There is a need right now to build this CBO. It's good for the hobby.

We exceed the requirements and are trying to over prepare. We are here to serve the hobby.

More Info

There are still questions about this future CBO:

• Will there be insurance for the pilot and flying site
  • What will the different levels of membership entail
  • When will it go live

I'm sure the answers to the questions will be revealed in time. To learn more click here.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jul 01, 2021 at 10:01 AM..
Jul 01, 2021, 03:41 PM
Recreational Model Plane Pilot
We knew this would be coming sometime. I hope they can be a serious CBO while continuing to be the light-hearted enthusiasts toward model aviation we have seen from them in the past.
Jul 02, 2021, 08:44 AM
Will FTCA and AMA support each other and work together in a true bi-partisan fashion, or against each other , weakening both to the detriment of the hobby?
Jul 02, 2021, 10:23 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Will FTCA and AMA support each other and work together in a true bi-partisan fashion, or against each other , weakening both to the detriment of the hobby?
Short answer: No.

The AMA's done a lot of political ass-kissing to position themselves as the authoritative CBO and they're not going to want the competition.
Jul 02, 2021, 02:27 PM
Electric Coolhunter
When the AMA had a competitor in the 1990s, they became very adversarial. The Sport Flyers Association offered membership with somewhat better insurance for less money. IIRC, SFA dues were 25 with insurance, while AMA was more like 40. There were lawsuits and other conflicts. While I am generally supportive of the AMA, they did not show their best side during that time.

I was involved with the SFA for a number of years. Was still an AMA member as well.

Eventually, SFA went away, mostly due to internal issues.

I hope that FTCA and the AMA are able to coexist. However, if they become a valid competitor to the AMA and provide insurance, it will get ugly.
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Jul 03, 2021, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure I see the point of this, considering we already have the AMA. Unless they want to compete with the AMA, which would could potentially cause lots of issues, with different organizations pushing different standards. I think that overall the AMA has done well dealing with the government, some might say the new regulations don't support that, but look at how much worse the original FAA proposals were.

This is a solution looking for a problem.
Jul 03, 2021, 10:07 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Quote:
A house divided against itself cannot stand.

- A. Lincoln
- Roger
Jul 03, 2021, 11:47 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
I'm not sure I see the point of this, considering we already have the AMA. Unless they want to compete with the AMA, which would could potentially cause lots of issues, with different organizations pushing different standards. I think that overall the AMA has done well dealing with the government, some might say the new regulations don't support that, but look at how much worse the original FAA proposals were.

This is a solution looking for a problem.
The AMA is poised to become a monopoly and as such guaranteed to have a large membership at a premium price. If this new CBO gets approval it is the competition needed to keep costs at a minimum. The way I see it is the AMA threw us under the bus in an attempt to create a monopoly and boost membership and revenue through government mandate. If this new one is approved and they maintain a free/very low cost no frills membership then I can see this being a very good thing. If they don't get approval it will be the answer to whether or not the AMA and FAA are in cahoots.
Jul 04, 2021, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Short answer: No.

The AMA's done a lot of political ass-kissing to position themselves as the authoritative CBO and they're not going to want the competition.
Yep, agree totally.

I hate and detest FT for my own reasons but if they give AMA competition then I will take a neutral stance on FT.
Jul 04, 2021, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfircav8r
The AMA is poised to become a monopoly and as such guaranteed to have a large membership at a premium price. If this new CBO gets approval it is the competition needed to keep costs at a minimum. The way I see it is the AMA threw us under the bus in an attempt to create a monopoly and boost membership and revenue through government mandate. If this new one is approved and they maintain a free/very low cost no frills membership then I can see this being a very good thing. If they don't get approval it will be the answer to whether or not the AMA and FAA are in cahoots.
Having two organizations representing the same group does not benefit us. You want a CBO with a "free" membership? You get what you pay for! As Roger pointed out,

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

- A. Lincoln
- Roger
Jul 04, 2021, 05:15 PM
Modeling Retread
We’ll see but the objective here seems to be different than SFA, which clearly wanted to compete with AMA. As I heard their pitch, FTCA looks to be wanting to develop a national organization to support a broader reach for Flite Fest activities. Clearly, since most of the members will pay nothing, their emphasis is on bodies not money. To supplant AMA you’d need money, a lot of it.
Latest blog entry: Goodyear Blimp at Oshkosh
Jul 04, 2021, 07:14 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfircav8r
The way I see it is the AMA threw us under the bus in an attempt to create a monopoly and boost membership and revenue through government mandate.
Care to explain in detail how the AMA threw our hobby under the bus?!? You are full of crap if you think this was some plan by the AMA. We ALL lost when politicians like Peter DeFasio decided to tear down Rule 336. Get your facts straight.
Jul 04, 2021, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Having two organizations representing the same group does not benefit us. You want a CBO with a "free" membership? You get what you pay for! As Roger pointed out,

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

- A. Lincoln
- Roger
It seems to me the AMA has a website, with articles, and forums, not unlike this very website. This one is free, the AMA's is not, yet here you are. Obviously having two groups offering similar products has proven useful to you. Not everyone needs the insurance, or access to their articles, but we all will need to be members of a CBO, although if you read the rule it states "operating within the guidelines of a CBO". It doesn't say you have to be a member. If I get ahold of the AMA'S guidelines and fly within those guidelines, technically, I am following the rules.
The whole house divided BS is a moot point since they only had their best interests in mind during this whole fiasco.
I've had 20 years of experience dealing with the FAA and even though they have this great easy access request system to get permission to work around such rules as a 400 foot ceiling, it is just that, a request, one they don't have to grant and don't have to have any reason as to why. You are at the whim of the administrator and I pity the people that get one that hates "drones."
Jul 04, 2021, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarSmythe
Care to explain in detail how the AMA threw our hobby under the bus?!? You are full of crap if you think this was some plan by the AMA. We ALL lost when politicians like Peter DeFasio decided to tear down Rule 336. Get your facts straight.
Sorry, I don't have emails or transcripts from closed door meetings, but I'm guessing you don't either. You trust what they told you and believe they had your best interests in mind. I believe they are a business, and were on there way out when this all started, now suddenly they are doing better than ever, with a whole lot more potential members. All due to the new requirements. Maybe it's just coincidence, but I don't believe in coincidence. I don't think they could really made much of a difference, but I don't believe for a second that their motives were altruistic.
Jul 05, 2021, 02:09 PM
Flite test stated they were all about community and spreading the love of rc flight. They offered free plans to get people into the hobby. Now they have changed their ideals. Seems you can't get plans unless you "pay" to join their group. Look at the three tiers for FTCA, plans only come with the paid subscriptions. If you fly under any CBO rules, you don't need to be a member of any group.
Seems Flite Test is now out for profit. Overstreet has made tons of planes over past 2 years. Ever wonder why they haven't had a free plan release in a long time?
The AMA has been there for years to defend the hobby as much as possible. Going to Washington and dealing with beauracracy takes time and money. That's where your AMA dues are going. Without the AMA, congress would have just eliminated rc rec flight. No questions asked.

Now you don't see Flite Test doing any of that do you? Plus, congress won't give them the time of day even if they tried. The AMA had some clout as they are the US designated FAI wing for recreational unmanned flight.

Insurance will not be that easily obtained with new FAA regs. We are considered a risk to insurance carriers. I doubt Flite test will get that anytime soon.

Quick Reply