What the Heck Wednesday - Right Roll Into the Ground

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have short video showing a wooden RC airplane with an electric motor crashing pretty much on launch.

Splash

Nose Dive on Launch

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have short video showing a wooden RC airplane with an electric motor crashing pretty much on launch. I'm not really sure what happened, but there is a large of amount of down thrust seen in the motor while the plane is being handled. The throw was a weak underarm toss so it didn't get enough airspeed for the wings to create lift. It looks a lot like a torque effect roll to me, but it went to the right so that would mean the motor was spinning left, maybe they had a pusher prop on it and reversed the motor. The thrust was obviously pulling the plane forwards. We didn't get to see the aftermath, but it looks like a nose repair is in order before another attempt is made.

So what do you think happened? What could have been done to prevent this crash?

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Jun 30, 2021, 08:07 AM
Prop's on backwards for starters
Jun 30, 2021, 08:13 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
It appears the motor is spinning left rotation, so maybe the prop is on correctly for that.
Jun 30, 2021, 08:36 AM
Thrust angles. WAY over done.
Jun 30, 2021, 08:44 AM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Left aileron is down. Right one is centered
Jun 30, 2021, 10:21 AM
Controls reversed?
Jul 01, 2021, 04:44 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Something seriously weird about the motor mounting, left aileron seems to be fully down immediately before launch - and just to make sure of disaster that is just about the worst hand launch I have ever seen! One can only come to the conclusion that these guys had NO IDEA what they were doing with the inevitable results.
Jul 01, 2021, 06:56 AM
I did the same with my goblin except it rolled left and was totaled lol
Jul 01, 2021, 07:13 AM
When I was teaching myself to fly my powered Gentle Lady, at least I had the sense to launch it in high grass so when I crashed it the damage was minimal.
Jul 01, 2021, 10:14 AM
Hey, Jason. You've got to get more sophisticated crashes to challenge us.
Jul 01, 2021, 10:21 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashCrash
Hey, Jason. You've got to get more sophisticated crashes to challenge us.

LOL! Challenge accepted!
Jul 02, 2021, 05:06 PM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX

I feel sorry for the young fella...

Lot's of things wrong here, I'll bet these guys are brand new modelers who don't know any better. I feel bad for the kid who was most likely very excited about this model airplane flight. I mean just look at his smile. I hope they don't give up and are able to get the help of an experienced modeler next time around.

John
Jul 03, 2021, 11:29 AM
I don't see the left aileron down at all, the ails look to be neutral to me but, It does appear the prop is on backwards and he had some right rudder kicked in. I think it is just a simple stall on launch.

I inadvertently put the prop on backwards on a Yardbird pusher one time....the plane did fly but it was terribly under powered.
Jul 03, 2021, 04:40 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Needs a firmer throw.
Jul 03, 2021, 08:28 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
Yup. Tip stall. ( One shouldn't just let go....lol )

Quick Reply