Jun 27, 2021, 06:59 AM
Thread OP
Question

Identifing two old model boats - any help appreciated

Hi all,

My in-laws recently moved house, and in clearing out their loft we found two old model boats. I'd like to know more about them both before deciding what to do with them, as they were going to throw them in the skip!

I've added a few photos below, and here's as much info as I know about them.

My husband remembers playing with them both as a small child in the early 1980s so they are least 35-40 years old. The red one had a very large amount of lead on the keel at one point! There's no equipment left inside either, they are just empty shells, so it looks like both were either mid-build or stripped for parts for other models.

The yellow & blue one is 74cm long x 23cm max width x approx 16cm height. in inches, that's 29 x 9 x 6 5/16
The red one is 86cm long x 28cm max width x 16cm hull height, plus 19cm keel height. Inches, approx 34 x 11 x 13 11/16

We are in the UK, in Wiltshire. As for my in-laws, the boats were stored at their house near Ross-on-Wye in Herefordshire, and before then, in Somerset & before then in Bedfordshire.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2021, 11:11 AM
Yacht is a Vic Smeed "Starlet", Cabin cruiser also has the look of one of Vics, Haven't located it yet.
If you're not going to do anything with them, bung em on e-bay.

Regards Ian.

Edit, It looks a bit like a conversion to look like the "Bond" Huntress in "From Russia with Love."
Last edited by Circlip; Jun 27, 2021 at 12:00 PM.
Jun 27, 2021, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
Yacht is a Vic Smeed "Starlet", Cabin cruiser also has the look of one of Vics, Haven't located it yet.
If you're not going to do anything with them, bung em on e-bay.

Regards Ian.

Edit, It looks a bit like a conversion to look like the "Bond" Huntress in "From Russia with Love."
This is fantastic, thank you! Given that I'll be listing them, what's a decent price to start at? Honestly don't care how much I get for them, just want them to go to a good home rather than the bin.
Jun 27, 2021, 01:43 PM
The first one looks very 'Aerokit-y'. The Sea Rover was 30" long, but it had a flat transom, and I can't tell if this one slopes forward or not...
Jun 27, 2021, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
The first one looks very 'Aerokit-y'. The Sea Rover was 30" long, but it had a flat transom, and I can't tell if this one slopes forward or not...
The gunwale of the boat is entirely flat, including across the stern, except right at the bow, where it slopes down ever so slightly (see pics).
Jun 27, 2021, 04:28 PM
Looking through the paint Dodgy, I don't think AeroKits ever did a balsa hull? Given that one is built from a plan - Starlet, I would imagine t'other is same with the topsides of fancy. Can't imagine the window shape came from a "Designers" pen. Too square, too close together.

Prices? Stick them on for a week as one lot, "Model Boats" with a starting price of 99p and let them run, you are likely to be VERY surprised.

Regards Ian.
Jun 27, 2021, 04:57 PM
I can see balsa on the superstructure, but I thought that the hull looked like ply. You are right, I think, about the superstructure being 'own design ' though similar to a Huntress.
Last edited by dodgy; Jun 28, 2021 at 10:46 AM.
Jun 28, 2021, 04:29 AM
Photos 3 & 4 interior looks to have a lot of Balsa inside and photo 4, if you double click for max magnification, grain shows through paint finish on hull. Last two photos, right hand one again on max mag. paint chipped below and to right of Rip Max plastic porthole looks again like Balsa. Agree about cabin sides though and cabin roof.
Regards Ian.
Aug 03, 2021, 12:36 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by astosia
This is fantastic, thank you! Given that I'll be listing them, what's a decent price to start at? Honestly don't care how much I get for them, just want them to go to a good home rather than the bin.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but since no one else is jumping in, I will. The build quality even back 30-40 years ago was sub-par at best and at worst down right crude. I adopt wayward orphaned kits and boats all the time that need a bit of love after being kicked from pillar to post, but I always look at the end result, the quality of the intial build and is it worth the expense and effort to beautify a distressed model or kit. I would pass on these in a hurry.
Aug 04, 2021, 06:53 AM
You are right that build quality of old boats we can get hold of is often poor - if they were superb then someone would have taken them long before they get to us!

Sometimes, though, you just want to work on a boat that you saw when you were young, but could never afford then...
Aug 13, 2021, 07:15 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
You are right that build quality of old boats we can get hold of is often poor - if they were superb then someone would have taken them long before they get to us!

Sometimes, though, you just want to work on a boat that you saw when you were young, but could never afford then...
Then these would be their ticket because they need a lot of love and I mean a lot of love.
Sep 15, 2021, 07:53 PM
The Starlet is a great boat. I have one of the "newer" kits, doesn't have the skeg rudder. Fun boat to sail and relax with.

Quick Reply